Thread: One of my favorite leg routines

One of my favorite leg routines

I know bodypart splits in general aren't vogue here, but this leg day was one of my best as far as gaining size. Looking for something new, give this one a try. 1 x week, preferably on a Monday when the rest of the pukes are blasting their chest and biceps for the first of 3 weekly sessions.

Machine Hack Squats
    Warm up nice and good first. Might want to even do extensions if they help you warm up or ride the bike for a bit. Get the legs warmed up and work up to 3 sets of 12-15 reps.

Leg Curls. I like these in the 20 rep range. 3 working sets

Squats. Now you are nice and ready to squat. Form is key. Deeper is better. 3 sets of 12.

Stiff legs. You should be shaking and ready to puke by now. 3 set again. 12 reps as well.

Walking lunges. I liked using dumbbells. Find a long space and go as far as you can for two trips.

Now, this isn't the be all/ end all of programs. Obviously one needs to set up some type of progression scheme they can work in and also account for de-loading or backing off periods. I usually did calves after an upperbody day because by the time I was done I couldn't walk for awhile and needed just to sit down. If you want something different, give it a try. Sure, one can point out there are better options, and there are, but this worked well for me. Other variables surely played a role.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

That looks really, really good. I like the way you layed it out so that the big exercises are warmed-up thouroughly before you pound them, and then finish off the legs with the lunges. I also like your addition of leg curls, which I think is overlooked sometimes in more "hardcore" workouts. The hams get enough work with things like deadlifts, but I think it's important to work every joint in their natural range of movement.
    Last edited by Off Road; 01-24-2011 at 08:34 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

This was during a time when my goal was to thrash what bodypart I was working for the day. Is that a sound plan? Maybe not, but this combined with solid rest and eating did wonders. A lot of things will work with the right mindset and work ethic.

My plan for this was hit the primary muscles directly first and still get some compounds in after. Goes against conventional thinking, but I wasn't worrying about throwing my back out squatting. The legs would limit how much weight could be used and forced a stronger focus on the movement. Sure some of this may seem like bb mag stuff, but if you take some of the things in those and just tone the volume down, it can be applied.

Just get under the bar!

Hope you don't mind, but I thought others could share their favorite leg routines as well...

Squats - 1 x 5 (work up to a heavy set of five reps)
    Squats - 1 x 20 (about 80% of 5 rep weight)
    Stiff-legged Deadlifts - 2 x 5-8
    Heel Raises - 3 x 15-20
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Here's my approach to legs.

I typically warm up on an elleptical (but I go backwards ~ like you're backpedaling. Does wonders on the quads if you've never tried it).

Barbell Squats: 1 x 8 warm up set followd by 3 x 8 working sets
    Straight Leg Dead Lifts: no warm up sets here: (3 x 12) (For me, raising the reps and working a lighter weight takes the emphasis off the lower back and puts it directly on the hamstrings. So for me 3 x 12 with less weight seems to deliver better results than 3 x 8 with more weight).
    Heel Raises: 2 x max

I usually finish with some kind of exposive linear movement (lunges, box jumps, sprints, mountain climbers, etc.). High intensity, but not very long duration efforts. BTW, I'm thinking of replacing this with some sort of explosive lateral movement.... anybody got any suggestions?
    Last edited by Iplan; 01-25-2011 at 06:06 PM.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Good idea guys. Share away everyone.

Just get under the bar!

When i used to do a bodypart split my leg day was:

5-10 minute warm up on a bike or cross trainer.

Squat: 2 warm up sets then 3x8
    SLDL: 3x10-12
    Calf raise in the leg press: 3x20
    Leg extension: 3 x 10-12 drop setting the final set. (2 drops lowering the weight by ~30% each time)

Sometimes I'd throw Bulgarian split squats in as well. Usually 2x10 straight after squats.
    Last edited by tom183; 01-25-2011 at 07:14 PM.