The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Tired of being skinny?

I get dizzy when I read post after post from these new lifters wanting to build muscle but also want to get ripped abs or a six-pack. There are a few of the more experienced bodybuilders here that can pull off lean bulks, but the other guys are just planning for failure.

If you want to build some muscle, then get as far away from your fat phobia as you can get. Don't be afraid to let your mid section soften up, knowing that under that layer of fatty goodness there are some real muscles being built.

Don't be that guy that goes on a lean bulk for three years just to find out you are the same skinny guy you always were. You are just fooling yourself because you can see your abs. Instead, be that guy that packs on some serious weight over the next few years, then when you finally get big enough to scare your mothers, diet back down to expose those large muscles you trained so hard for.

How many of you have been at this for a few years with very little to show for it? Are you going to spend the next few years doing the same thing? Put down the plate of chicken and broccoli and pick up the steak, potatos and ice cream
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Agree 100%!!!!

Banned
    Word! I've accomplished more in the past 6 months than I did in the past 6 years

Wannabestronger
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Word! I've accomplished more in the past 6 months than I did in the past 6 years
    Same here.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Put down the plate of chicken and broccoli and pick up the steak, potatos and ice cream
    It's more fun to eat the steak and potatoes and ice cream as well!

Im cutting and bulking (I love newb gains) but overall Im cutting just to get fat again, just to cut again

Be prepared to either alter your skinny boy pants or purchase larger waist sizes.

Eating enough will be harder than any of your workouts

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kjd2121 View Post
    Be prepared to either alter your skinny boy pants or purchase larger waist sizes.

This is the downfall of new lifters. I was guilty of this in the beginning. Working out is the easy part out of the whole muscle building process. If you aren't eating enough, you may as well not lift weights.

Quote Originally Posted by kjd2121 View Post

Way too true

What about my "abs"??? I can't lose my six-pack!!! Plus, I want to look like that ripped dude from Twilight.

(not speaking personally LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    What about my "abs"??? I can't lose my six-pack!!! Plus, I want to look like that ripped dude from Twilight.

(not speaking personally LOL)
    haha

good post Off Road. i try to think of it as having confidence in losing the fat. i remember years ago, a buddy of mine was all into getting jacked up, but didnt know too much about it. he was talking with a friend of ours, a pretty jacked and gym-successful guy, who basically said "the best way to get jacked/ripped involves putting on a little fat first". he immediately gave up on going to the gym when he heard that, and all cuz he was affraid of the "fat factor".

plus, i love bulking. it's the best (and probably only) time when you get to really eat like a man and stuff your face and its justified.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

Agree for the most part. I know guys who have been going to the gym as long as me and have achieved less progression than I have in one year. It's somewhat of a fine line to walk knowing just how far or hard to push and knowing when it's times to clean up and stay presentable. I could be a lot bigger today if I didn't bulk 8 months and diet 4 every year. However over the course of those years I'd have some pretty fat pictures of me. On the other hand there's still some chubby pictures of me in the winter showing where I could have stayed leaner at times. However I would today be somewhat smaller. It all comes down to what you can be comfortable with.

It also becomes less desirable to bulk quite as heavy once a base has been establish IMO. For me these days, I'd rather not push so hard and stay a little leaner year round than desperately fawn for every last ounce of muscle I can put on in a year.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Very good point. If you have achieved a larger percentage of your potential, then bulking long term becomes less effective.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Agree with what Behemoth said, but your potential for carrying mass will increase substantially if you allow your BF% to increase. Ex: If 200lbs and 8% BF is pretty close to your genetic potential, you might be able to get up to 210-220 if you allow yourself to go up to 12%. It really depends on priorities, and being lean is just one aspect of things.

In regards to the pants thing. They make pants now with an expandable waist band. They are an absolute must if you are going to be wearing dress pants or khaki type pants.

Wannabebig Member
    I understand the logic but I need to stay lean for playing sports. I need to bulk up but I cant afford to lose fitness levels or put on belly fat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by martyl2 View Post
    I understand the logic but I need to stay lean for playing sports. I need to bulk up but I cant afford to lose fitness levels or put on belly fat.
    It depends on the sport and your level, but being lean usually doesn't add much to performance compared to eating enough

Quote Originally Posted by martyl2 View Post
    You are mixing up your terminology. You are assuming that being lean means strong or that being lean means your fit. Cardiovascular endurance does not directly correlate to bf%

Bulk does not mean you loose fitness it just means you have to become use to carrying a bit more weight. I don't know what sport you do but if you focus on keeping Yor fitness where it is and your weight goes up you wot get a 'belly' let alone become fat.

Ps how does where on your body your fat effect your sport? You can't afford a belly but you could afford fat arms?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Ya, there are enough 250 lb athletes out there to know that big size doesn't equate to poor fitness. Of course it depends on your sport too.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Nothing wrong with being skinny, though. I'm a college sprinter, so I'm skinny out of necessity. But still, I can bench 250+, Squat 350+, and Deadlift 450+. I can dunk a basketball. I can run fast. I can make college girls juice their britches with a well-timed glance. And yeah, I never lost sight of my abs either.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    Nothing wrong with being skinny, though. I'm a college sprinter, so I'm skinny out of necessity. But still, I can bench 250+, Squat 350+, and Deadlift 450+. I can dunk a basketball. I can run fast. I can make college girls juice their britches with a well-timed glance. And yeah, I never lost sight of my abs either.
    your the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Ya, there are enough 250 lb athletes out there to know that big size doesn't equate to poor fitness. Of course it depends on your sport too.
    But they are generally pretty lean, and mostly in stuff like football. One should definately worry about excess body fat when playing certain sports and positions

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    But they are generally pretty lean, and mostly in stuff like football. One should definately worry about excess body fat when playing certain sports and positions
    Yes, but performance comes first, ALWAYS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Yes, but performance comes first, ALWAYS.
    And usually performance in sports depends on being strong AND skinny. You don't see many 6 foot tall soccer players at 250+ pounds. Same with a basketball player of normal size, a skier, a distance runner or sprinter, a mixed martial artist, and so on... all of these athletes need to be cut and decently strong, not bulky and ridiculously strong.

It's also important to note that having a ton of muscle in sports with a lot of aerobic activity (soccer, basketball, running) is still bad, even if you are cut. If you have too much muscle it'll weigh you down and make you tire out MUCH faster. Prolonged use of muscle uses oxygen, so the more muscle you have the more oxygen you waste in a less amount of time. It just doesn't work.

Football is the main sport where athletes benefit from having a lot of bulk.

your the man.
    thanks, i get that a lot
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

nice post. chicken club wrap and fries here i come!!