Thread: What routine are you currently using?

What routine are you currently using?

I was working triples--doubles--singles for my equipped bench, but I had to change that around. I'd like to go pure Westside, but I still have not figured out my shirt. Plus I can't always handle DE bench so sometimes I just do dumbells

I'm still using the trap bar and the safety bar for my dl and squat training. That stuff I'm just kind of doing. I have been using 5/3/1 percentages based off of very light lifts. I definitely need to up those weights.

Clearly I need to straighten some of this up. After the Lexen I'd love to do a traditional WS program for the big 3.

I really enjoy talking programming. So who's doing what?

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Right now I am doing a westside barbell template. It breaks down like this:

Monday: DE-Bench
    Tuesday: ME-SQ/DL
    Thursday: ME-Bench
    Friday: DE-SQ/DL

Whats the reason that you can't always do DE bench?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

I've been giving 5/3/1 a go, see where it goes. Otherwise I got a bunch of 6-day/wk programs that my training partner's brother wrote for us going in and out of meets and such.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

I am doing Block Periodization -- been at it since August. My good friend Jeremy Frey is taking care of my programming. Just started the Transmutation block this week in preparation for the Lexen Meet. Volume is a bitch right now. lol. Before that was Westside for about 6 years, and before that did Metal Militia for a while and Westside before that. Decided to do Block because I just needed something different to do--was totally burnt out in my training.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith View Post
    I am doing Block Periodization -- been at it since August. My good friend Jeremy Frey is taking care of my programming. Just started the Transmutation block this week in preparation for the Lexen Meet. Volume is a bitch right now. lol. Before that was Westside for about 6 years, and before that did Metal Militia for a while and Westside before that. Decided to do Block because I just needed something different to do--was totally burnt out in my training.
    I've seen some of Jeremy's posts on EliteFTS about block periodization and the way he talks about it has definetely gotten me interested in it. At the very least, I'd like to learn a bit more about it.

I'd be up for trying it out myself but it seems like there's a TON of stuff you have to learn before being capable of creating/following your own routine. You can't just plug your maxes into some pre-made excel spreadsheet and have all the main lifts for the next month instantly figured out, the way it is with 5/3/1.

Any articles you'd recommend that directly tell you how you use block periodization on your own? Or any more info on it in general would be appreciated.

I'm a geek about programming too.

I honestly think you could do speed bench every other week and be successful with the program. You're already fast. You already have good technique. You just need to maintain your speed and technique. Speed bench every other week would do that. You can use the non-speed weeks to do other things that'll help your weaknesses. The key is to remember low intensity and higher volume on the days that are supposed to be speed days. You don't want to turn it into a second ME day.

I think even if you look at how DE squats are done now, it's not the 50%, 55%, 60% wave like the old days. They vary it far more. Now you see RE work mentioned, lifters work up after 6-8 sets of speed work, they rotate in heavier band/chain setups, etc.

Speed deads are the same way. Now it's 2 weeks of speed deads and then 2 weeks of rack pulls.

I think everyone started to realize that doing very similar speed work every week eventually led to diminishing returns. Now they mix it up far more.

For me, the biggest thing that helps is doing a 2nd barbell movement on ME day. I'll do sets of 3 or 5 depending on how I feel. To me, the ME work is about conditioning my CNS, learning to strain/fight through a lift, and identifying weak points. That's very different from taking a deadlift, squat, or GM variant that I'm weak at and hitting some reps to develop the weakness.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

At 11 weeks out I am using the following:

Squat - Coan
    Bench - Triple/Doubles/Singles
    Deadlift - Coan/Phillipi

Vincent, the triples doubles singles for bench is ripped straight off this article by Matt Rhodes. I have a new shirt and I want to get used to it. No boards and just straight weight right up to competition. Was this designed for benching once per week or did you guys have a supplemenary or DE day too? I actually only plan training three days a week. The Coan/Phillipi DL program is hammering my lower and upper back so I was actually going concentrate on chest, shoulders and triceps on bench day and leave it at that.

Should I just see how I go?
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Marcus makes very good points!

I agree with everything he said especially the last part about using a second barbell lift for reps to build a weakness.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Perhaps for your max effort lower you could rotate some different variations but use sets of 5 or so instead of a max single?
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I try to lift as much as I can and eat all the time.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Vincent, my situation is similar to yours as far as injuries. I'm dealing with a herniated disk for about 1.5 years now and I've been bench only since that happened.

My template looks like this:

Monday - Lower Assistance (used to be max effort lower, which was deadlifts or GMs or raw squat)
    Wednesday - Dynamic Bench, standard WSB
    Friday - Lower - 531 free squat, 531 deadlift (used to be dynamic effort lower before I got hurt)
    Sunday - Max Effort Bench, standard WSB

I think Marcus's idea about alternating dynamic benching week to week is a great idea for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    I try to lift as much as I can and eat all the time.
    Best response.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by pricedtosell View Post
    Any articles you'd recommend that directly tell you how you use block periodization on your own? Or any more info on it in general would be appreciated.
    Great article at Elite:
    http://articles.elitefts.com/article...-powerlifting/
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

crappy powerlifter austin.j.taylor's Avatar
    I am using Layne Nortons power/hypertrophy routine. I am using it to hang onto strength while i cut out about 30 pounds or so over the next couple of months. I am thinking about running 3/5/1 after that and maybe hit sheiko about this time next year.

Monday: Squat (Smolov), Bench Press (Ditillo), Row (5x5), abs
    Wednesday: Deadlift (weeks 1&2 reverse bands, wk 3 3x3, week 4 against bands, week 5 max double or PR), military press (2-3-5 ladders), curls ('cause I like having big gunz), abs
    Friday: Squat (Smolov), Close Grip Bench Press (5x5), Weighted Chin or Pullup, abs

Conditioning: Walk 3 miles every other day, sprint once a week, recumbent bike twice a week
    Last edited by UncleAl; 01-09-2011 at 03:12 PM.
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight Class: 165
    Squat (raw): 355
    Bench Press (raw): 265
    Deadlift (raw): 501.5

TJW
    For the past year, I've been doing some type of Sheiko routine. I basically modify templates to suit my needs with the help of another member on here. I just started using it for all 3 lifts, so we'll see how it goes in about 8 weeks.

The reason I have not been doing speed bench every week is because I am a puss. I complain that it hurts me, but I have not truly committed to it for some time. I need to do speed bench and I need to do shoulder rehab, ice, etc.

Here is my new routine WS BABY!

Mon: DE Bench
    Wed: DE sq/dl (I am going to do speed pulls 6-10 singles, this will help me work on my hook grip technique without beating myself up too much)
    Fri: ME Bench
    Sat: Back and Biceps
    Sun: ME sq/dl

Additionally I will commit to three sessions a week of conditioning and rehab work. I want to start really pushing myself again. I am going to be switching up exercises frequently. I have gotten too stale. I'm also going to keep the pace up on everything except my ME bench. I train by myself on all other days. If I get lazy I have nobody to blame but myself. I also added in the back/bicep day because I just want to train more often. I'm lucky enough to have a gym in my basement and time. I need to take advantage of these things.

So DE bench tomorrow. I'm going to start a three week wave with bands. SFW!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Looks good!
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Wannabebig Member
    I am using cycles of 3/5/1 Using different bars.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    To me, the ME work is about conditioning my CNS, learning to strain/fight through a lift, and identifying weak points. That's very different from taking a deadlift, squat, or GM variant that I'm weak at and hitting some reps to develop the weakness.
    This is a really excellent point.

I'm running block right now and I love it. I've definitely packed on some size, and I've been running it for about a year now.

However, I'm trying to figure out where I want to go from here. I've got three weeks left in this cycle: One training, one deload, one test.

So, I'm in a similar boat as you, vdizenzo.

I'm 5'8" 198 pounds

Bench: Around 315
    Squat: Around 405
    Deadlift: Around 470
    Push Press: Around 245

I'll find out for sure when I test in a few weeks. I definitely need to get more military press work in. My military press is pathetic compared to the rest of my lifts, including it's cousin the push press.

I train alone. There's not a whole lot of people in my area who like to train like I do. I've come to a variety of different ideas as to what to go to next, and I'm stumped. Some great lifters have given me advice as well and I still find myself wavering.

Here's some of the routines I've contemplated:

Block (continue on it)
    Sheiko
    Block/Sheiko Hybrid
    Westside
    Westside For Skinny Bastards
    Strongman Training by Tom

The latter two are more for athletic development as well as strength/size gains. The Strongman stuff would be the hardest to do as I don't have the necessary equipment.

I ran Westside once before, but having looked back I ran it like ****.

Sheiko has always interested me.

Block has been good to me, and we'll see after I test if the gains are continuing or not.

If you have any advice for me I'd appreciate it. I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out where to go next.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    The reason I have not been doing speed bench every week is because I am a puss. I complain that it hurts me, but I have not truly committed to it for some time. I need to do speed bench and I need to do shoulder rehab, ice, etc.

Here is my new routine WS BABY!

Mon: DE Bench
    Wed: DE sq/dl (I am going to do speed pulls 6-10 singles, this will help me work on my hook grip technique without beating myself up too much)
    Fri: ME Bench
    Sat: Back and Biceps
    Sun: ME sq/dl

Additionally I will commit to three sessions a week of conditioning and rehab work. I want to start really pushing myself again. I am going to be switching up exercises frequently. I have gotten too stale. I'm also going to keep the pace up on everything except my ME bench. I train by myself on all other days. If I get lazy I have nobody to blame but myself. I also added in the back/bicep day because I just want to train more often. I'm lucky enough to have a gym in my basement and time. I need to take advantage of these things.

So DE bench tomorrow. I'm going to start a three week wave with bands. SFW!
    Good luck with the new routine Vin, it looks good. I'm sure you'll get the speed bench figured out.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

IM on the "no routine" routine. I needed a break from programming. I just walk in and pick something now. I did start speed work though. I need something to get my bench up.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS