The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Sugar

Wannabebig Member

Sugar

As part of eating healthier, other than eating it in foods like bread and ketchup (random examples I know) should I completely cut it out of my diet? I'm not sure if that goes straight to the belly, I think it does and then turn into fat?
    Ht 5 "6"
    Wt 140
    Age 18

Goals:
    Deadlift (current 335) Goal 400 by April 18
    Squat (current 150) Goal 250 by April 18
    Bench (current 225) Goal 275 by April 18

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If your goals (as stated in your signature) are to get stronger, cutting calories won't help you reach those goals.

"Sugar" in and of itself isn't bad. Total daily calorie intake would be a better thing to be watching. But like I said, if you're in a calorie deficit, you're not going to make strength gains of any significance, or consistently.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Wannabebig Member
    Your simple question requires a complicated answer....

Sugar in itself isn't bad at all. However, for someone like me (endomorph), It is only appropriate in large quantities after workouts.

Large amounts of quick digesting sugars cause the body to release insulin (too much glucose in the blood is poisonous, and your body uses insulin to shuttle glucose out of the blood and into body tissues). My body is predisposed to shuttling this glucose to fat cells, where other some other people have it preferentially shuttled to muscles.

If you were not a weighlifter I would say stay away from sugar as much as you can. However, weightlifters and athletes have different metabolic needs and quick carbs are useful for spiking insulin after workouts, which shuttle in carbs, proteins and other nutrients.

If you are fat or skinny fat, try to get most of your carbs from higher quality sources (sweet potatoes, rice, whole grains)

If you are a mesomorph, you probably wouldn't have bothered asking this question
    5'11, 215 lbs

B:295
    S:360 <---looking for 405 by may
    Trap Bar Dead:495X2

Banned
    Kinda agree and disagree with what the above posters said. Sure, sugar isn't necessarily bad. Its not essential though, and the difference between an ok amount and too much is very slim for most people.

The amount in ketchup isn't going to kill you. But sugar is EVERYWHERE, and the constant effect of releasing insulin throughout the day is what the problem is.

I'd say try keeping sugar intake under 10g at any one time (except maybe post workout). In addition to that, highly processed carbohydrates and even some unrefined grains can end up being just as bad for you as sugars.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Kinda agree and disagree with what the above posters said. Sure, sugar isn't necessarily bad. Its not essential though, and the difference between an ok amount and too much is very slim for most people.

The amount in ketchup isn't going to kill you. But sugar is EVERYWHERE, and the constant effect of releasing insulin throughout the day is what the problem is.

I'd say try keeping sugar intake under 10g at any one time (except maybe post workout). In addition to that, highly processed carbohydrates and even some unrefined grains can end up being just as bad for you as sugars.
    +1

America's problem is the that hamburger buns, taco shells and mashed potatoes are essentially table sugar. It complements the sugar in their sodas well.
    5'11, 215 lbs

B:295
    S:360 <---looking for 405 by may
    Trap Bar Dead:495X2

For me cutting sugar out of my diet just kind of happened automatically switching to water instead of soda, and whole grain bread instead of white, all things along those lines. But it's still not completely cut out of my diet and I am starting to get great results as I improve my workouts and gain more muscle. When I eat for bulking purposes, I honestly don't worry about it, I just have fun. It really doesn't seem to be that big of a problem in my experience as long as you have a controlled basic diet that you can always go back to...

Codeguru

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
    For me cutting sugar out of my diet just kind of happened automatically switching to water instead of soda, and whole grain bread instead of white, all things along those lines. But it's still not completely cut out of my diet and I am starting to get great results as I improve my workouts and gain more muscle. When I eat for bulking purposes, I honestly don't worry about it, I just have fun. It really doesn't seem to be that big of a problem in my experience as long as you have a controlled basic diet that you can always go back to...

Codeguru
    This x100.

You guys are WAY over complicating things.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    This x100.

You guys are WAY over complicating things.
    This x 100 = 10,000

I would avoid as much sugar as possible. Also depends on the type of sugar, I'm assuming you mean normal table sugar.

As far as going straight to your belly, that depends on other factors besides just eating the sugar alone.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002