The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Getting Back In Shape After Cancer

For the past year and a half I've been being treated for a brain tumor (Surgery, radiation and chemo). My body is completely broken down, but now I'm ready to try and get back in shape. I need to maximize my time and effort so I'm going for basic compound exercises. Two questions (1) If you were going to only lift two days a week, what kind of routine would you have? (2) Would you do the same routine both days (i.e full body twice a week) or two different routines (i.e. half body once a week).

Thanks,
    Danny

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First of all, congrats for making it through all of that. I cannot imagine going through it myself, but have seen plenty of it to realize what that does to the body. Congratulations.
    If I only had 2 days a week to train, I'd do full body both days with compound exercises, personally. Depending on how your body reacts, you could do balls-to-the-wall both days or do a heavy day and a lighter day.
    Last edited by Beast; 04-03-2012 at 02:43 PM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Day 1:
    Squats
    SLDL
    Bench
    Rows
    Triceps

Day 2:
    Deadlift
    Pull-ups
    OH Press
    Curls
    Grip and Gut work
    Last edited by Off Road; 04-03-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wow, good for you. I can't honestly say I'd have the motivation to get back into it after going through what you have.

I would say it depends on how much time you want to commit to the gym per day. If you have the time to get a good full body workout in each day - then you could do that. Otherwise, something like Off-Road suggested would be perfect.

Just for the record, the routine I posted above IS full-body.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Yes, congratulations to you and your family. I have a direct relative who's going through leukemia philadelphia-chromosome-positive. Anyone else here (and I'm sure there are some) who's gone through this will attest that when someone gets cancer, their whole family is impacted by it. It is a terrible, ugly disease.

Anyway, what are your docs saying about training? Are you still on meds? Is your diet restricted or anything? If you've been cut loose, maybe Offroad's advice is best. I'm not one to really give advice on it, mostly I wanted to chime in and offer you congratulations.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Just for the record, the routine I posted above IS full-body.
    I'm certainly not about to argue whether it is or isn't. In my opinion a full body workout would include the four major upper body movements (OH Press, pull ups, bench press and rows), plus squats, a lower back/hip movement, triceps (core and biceps being optional) all in one workout. To me; the two days you posted are dependent on each other getting all those movements in two workouts.

But like I said, it's really a matter of opinion and how encompassing one would want a workout to be in order to consider it 'full body'.

Rileigh, I am not trying to argue, but I think it's important that newer lifters get the correct information. The advice you gave the OP was solid, and the routine you suggested is a good one. But I have to dissagree with your interpretation of what constitutes a full-body workout. It is called a "full-body" workout because it works all the main muscle groups of the body in one session, not because it includes particular lifts. Both of the routines you and I offered are full-body routines and both have their advantages. Your routine offers the lifter more opportunity to practice the lifts and I completely agree with that. My routine is more abbreviated and offers the lifter more recovery which I thought the OP would need given his situation. Like everything else in this world, both routines have their advantages and disadvantages, but both are full-body routines.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal