The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

meet day questions

How do you guys determine your openning attempts? Do you do everything by feel after that? How much strength do you feel like you lose during the day?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
    How do you guys determine your openning attempts? Do you do everything by feel after that? How much strength do you feel like you lose during the day?
    I would open with a weight that you can usually do for a triple in training, then decide how big of a jump you want to make from there based on how the opener feels.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
    For me its pretty simple.
    Opener= something I've done repeatedly in training, something I know I can get. usually its about 88-90% of whatever my meet goal weight is... give or take a bit.
    2nd attempt= 5-10 lb increase from previous meet PR
    3rd attempt= go crazy. this may be a 50-65 lb jump if I'm feeling really good, it may only be 20 lbs from the second attempt if I'm off... or it may be the 2nd attempt again if something goes wrong.

That system has worked in consistent meet and individual lift PR's and only 1 bomb in the last 4 years. It also leads to some big meet PR's.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

I was goint o reply exactly what the previous 2 posters had. if you are new to meets, something you can triple is a great guideline. as you get some experience you can judge a little better. i think something I have done in training that I know I can get is where I can start, it may be something I can only double, but if I have never missed it and have taken it enough times, I feel comfortable opening there.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

I open pretty heavy.. I usually open with 95% of my best squat and my best 1 board bench. I find I am much stronger on meet day and ive never bombed.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, I wouldnt go based on warm ups on meet day. Meet I just did everytyhing felt heavy warm ups and I dropped my sq opener by like 40 lbs cause I siked myself out. (On the platform same weight was light as shit cause I was amped up) I ended up getting what I wanted on the third pretty easy. I missed out on a good 30-40lbs because of the whole deal. Go off 85-90% what you can do in the gym. What I did also was 2wks out or so work up and take your openers on everything dont go any heavier but just hitting those openers can build alot of confidence

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I agree with the above posters here.... especially C unit....

I'd just add to pick a weight that you are 100% confident you can get down with ( or touch with in the bench press) that you are so confident with you know that you will get it even if something goes wrong. Even with a bad set up, even with your straps not set right, even with a bad hand off on the bench..... you own the weight.

Making those openers is a great confidence builder, especially if you are new to this..... then jump up for your second.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

My openers are always something that I know I can get and I'm 100% confident with. I don't usually have a % to go by or a rep range. It's just a number I know I can get under and hit with no problems. My 2nd and 3rd attempts are always by feel and how well I executed my first attempt. I do go into a meet with a number in mind and I usually will shoot for that on my third. Just remember to protect your total.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    For me its pretty simple.
    Opener= something I've done repeatedly in training, something I know I can get. usually its about 88-90% of whatever my meet goal weight is... give or take a bit.
    2nd attempt= 5-10 lb increase from previous meet PR
    3rd attempt= go crazy. this may be a 50-65 lb jump if I'm feeling really good, it may only be 20 lbs from the second attempt if I'm off... or it may be the 2nd attempt again if something goes wrong.

That system has worked in consistent meet and individual lift PR's and only 1 bomb in the last 4 years. It also leads to some big meet PR's.
    This is very similar to how I go about it. It gets you a solid number and then let's you go for 2 attempts at a PR.

I open very light. Something i can do 5 times or so. Then i go for a 5 lb pr. Then based on that its all feel.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    Opener-about 10% less than a 5lb PR
    Second attempt: 5lb PR-this is after all why we compete-to make official PR's
    Third attempt: Break out and ammonia and let loose the Dogs of War!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree on going light on openers. Most of us take what our best gym lift was for seconds. It'll be easier at the meet if you peak right. That'll be a PR for some people. If it's not a PR, then you pick a PR based on feel for your 3rd.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I would open with a weight that you can usually do for a triple in training, then decide how big of a jump you want to make from there based on how the opener feels.
    Agreed... open w something you triple in training,
    2nd go for your current max, 3rd go crazy... leave it all on the platform bro!!!

Good luck,
    Rob

agree with what everyone said especially regarding second and third attempts

First should really be a weight you can hit under the worst conditions. Im going to open this next week on squats and bench with a weights I tripled, on two different occasions this training cycle, and on deads what I have doubled on two ocassions for reference.

open light and get in the meet. All whites on the first lift gives u confidence to be more aggressive with ur other attempts. Its not a fun feeling to miss ur opener and be worried ur gonna bomb and blow ur whole meet. Like others said, opener should be something u can hit 3-5 reps with, then plan accordingly. geared lift i would take about 90% of my most recent best gym lift since i did not do any reps in gear.
    All Time 198 Squat Record of 1,050 pounds
    http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?...e=&category=tr

All Time 220 Squat Record of 1,100 pounds

** 1063 squat , 611 bench, and 733 deadlift for 2408 Total
    All Time 242 Squat Record of 1,108 pounds At 228)
    ** 1108 squat , 639 bench, and 700 deadlift for 2447 Total

What I Lack in Genetics, I Make Up For With Determination and Discipline

Wannabebig Member
    I like to go in with a set opener (3RM weight for me), then a range for the next two depending on how I'm feeling. It's not set in stone, but it helps keep you organized in the crazy meet environment to make sure you're not going way too light/heavy.