Thread: I am too BIG, I need to do a SERIOUS cut.

I am too BIG, I need to do a SERIOUS cut.

Alright everyone its been a while and I am back in search of a stronger and slimmer me. I will have a baby girl here in a few weeks and I am now living with my beautiful fiance and I couldn't be happier, except for my body.

I'm 18 years old and have been floating at around 316 for a couple months now and I am tired of it, if I had to guess my BMI would probably be from 25-30% I don't look like your average 300 pound fat American I am pretty bulky and I believe my stats are still in my signature from about a year ago to show you how I was doing.

I didn't have a problem going to the gym and working out every other day but all this stopped when I ran into a little problem, I was doing sets on bench a couple months ago and it felt like I was growing a tail and this was very painful so I had to stop. Sure enough I had a pilonidal cyst in my buttcrack and I was in awful pain for a week until it went away (popped). But since then I just haven't had the drive to get back in the gym.

I went in today and warmed up on the bike and did a mile then hit bench, curls, tri's, bent over row's, and finished up with 2 scoops of muscle milk in some water.

My maintenance is around 3,000-3,500 calories and I would love to see 250 pounds again if not better, I think I will try and cut to 2,000 cals a day, my ultimate goal is to be a strongman one day and I would love to start on that road.

I need AS MANY tips from you guys as possible I want to lose weight and I want to get back to my old strong self, should I skip out on the protein shake after workouts? Should I start doing more cardio less powerlifting? Should I cycle some creatine? Weigh myself every day or once a week?

Thanks, Shane
    16, 262lb, 6'1
    Big 3
    BP - 295
    DL - 395
    Squat - 345
    Total - 1035

There are plenty of other members who really know what they're talking about with this subject, but I'll tell you what I can.

The main things you'll hear these guys tell you are...

1) Caloric Intake is KEY
    - It doesn't matter if it's unhealthy food or healthy food (although try to eat a majority of healthy foods, you don't need to exclude unhealthy foods completely). As long as you stay below your maintenance level you WILL lose weight. Just track your calories as much as you can until you can trust yourself to eat the right amount without having to do so.

2) Cardio doesn't help that much alone, but it is great when used correctly
    - Cardio actually burns muscle believe it or not. It obviously burns off calories which will slowly chip away at extra fat too if your diet is right, but cardio isn't the deciding factor in weight loss. As I said earlier, calories are key. Cardio can be very beneficial if you combine it with the right diet. If you eat right and throw in some cardio you'll have the best results (I believe...somebody may add something in there for me).

3) Don't drop the protein shake after your workout
    - As long as it's not any trouble to eat below your maintenance level with your protein shake in your diet you're fine with that. You need the protein shake to help your muscles recover from your workout, so don't sacrifice something as beneficial as that.

Just some general things. The other members will have plenty more to say, but I hope I helped!

Congratulations for getting Back into the gym. You say you are 18, just at the age when you are moving into your "adult" body. This is when the body can really start to pack on the extra pounds with excess calories. So yes, now is the time to drop some Fat and build some Muscle. You do have the drive. You show it by being here. Don't stop the protein shakes - the more muscle you have, the fat you can burn. Yes, start doing more cardio. Min 45mins constant movement. I wouldn't use creatine right now. Weigh yourself once a week. This really depends on how you view the scale. Hate it? or Love it? (seeing the numbers move). Take pics if you wish (some people like to see their progression)

Just some tips. Other guys will have more.

Good Luck.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Quote Originally Posted by Cman View Post
    1) Caloric Intake is KEY
    This.

Cutting is all about dieting. Cardio is beneficial because of the calories it burns.

Based on your weight I'd probably try eating about 2800-3000 calories a day and monitor weekly to see whether I'd need to eat less. You could try limiting your carbs to around 100g a day - 50g of simple carbs after your workout to refuel then get the rest from the veg/fruit you eat throughout the rest of the day.

Good luck on cutting the weight and being a strongman!
    Last edited by bluebird; 01-14-2011 at 03:54 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Wow, congratulations on the baby. As BULK_BOY stated, you have the right mindset and are on the right track. I would like to touch on another subject to help out. When going back to the gym after a hiatus, forget your past numbers and don't put them on a pedestal. They can be a goal to overcome, but don't make it out that you're a failure if you can't reach it. Start off by going to the gym two times per week for weights, and maybe a couple days a week for cardio. After you've done that for a few continuous weeks, try adding in another day or so. Keep the commitment up, and you will succeed. Generally speaking, you get the best results from doing cardio first thing in the morning before breakfast, and doing weights later on in the day when you have some food (carbs) in you.

Hope that helps,
    Will

Wow thanks for all the suggestions and tips guys I really appreciate it.

It seems like just the other day I was throwing up a total of 1,000 on the big 3 and for the first time in my life I felt like my strength was starting to catch up to my body weight, this was right before I turned 17.

I have noticed when I start lifting weights again after stopping for about a month I usually gain a few pounds but that was back when I was cycling creatine and taking 2 shakes a day with milk and trying to pack protein like crazy.
    I will def keep it very strict on the calories my goal is no more than 2,500 kcal a day with minimal carbs and of course I will need a cheat day once a week or so.
    16, 262lb, 6'1
    Big 3
    BP - 295
    DL - 395
    Squat - 345
    Total - 1035

Congrats on the baby and well done on motivating yourself to get back into the game!

I had a pilonidal cyst when I was your age and still have the wound to this day. It causes some discomfort and bleeds every time I go to the toilet, but aside from that it's bearable. I much prefer simply keeping it clean and managing than going to the hospital to have it excised and be in pain for many weeks.

How's things going Shane? Just checking in on your progress.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Try this and see what happens over 2 weeks:

Eat less overall. Keep protein the same, or higher. Keep track of your weight, performance, and overall well being. Adjust as necessary. Maybe take a little volume off your training if you suffer some losses in performance or well being.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

I've found that continuous workouts are the best for burning fat. Obviously eating is the main goal but I am literally able to drop 6-10 pounds in a week using my base 2200 calorie diet and circuit training cardio, as opposed to normal walking, running, or just regular workout cardio. I wouldn't mention it again unless I knew it worked so well. And the main reason I've stuck with it is it's something you can do in 20-25 minutes and it's still more effective than the most exhausting session of running on a treadmill or some such other cardio that will take you hours a day. Just pick a few of your favorite exercises, do them for a minute each without resting, then take 30-60 seconds to rest, and do them again. Though it probably works better if you have more varied types of exercises to pull from...

Codeguru
    Last edited by Codeguru; 01-22-2011 at 04:14 PM.