The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Appreciate the post chevelle, put a smile on my face this morning for sure. "Slaying puss" sounds awfully violent though! But jokes aside, it was really a planned off week that I'd set 2 months ago, but I'm re-arranging my split so I don't need to take any off weeks anymore I don't think. My diet being off track is unacceptable. And the work thing is a **** excuse too, because I work at the gym so I'm already there 10 hours a day. So I hear ya brother, and no worries... I'm not going anywhere.

And that Carl Sievert character has big arms and is well conditioned, but his back and legs aren't up to par. In any scenario, he's still got a lot of ground on me though so thats about as much critiquing as I can do.

Whats the difference between the Novice Division and the Open Division anyways? I was looking more at the Open competition winners as the competitors and just kind of skipped over the Novice. Do you have to win Novice first? Because I know Ty Dinh won the 2010 Mr. Natural Overall, and that dude is stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by KFeld View Post
    Appreciate the post chevelle, put a smile on my face this morning for sure. "Slaying puss" sounds awfully violent though! But jokes aside, it was really a planned off week that I'd set 2 months ago, but I'm re-arranging my split so I don't need to take any off weeks anymore I don't think. My diet being off track is unacceptable. And the work thing is a **** excuse too, because I work at the gym so I'm already there 10 hours a day. So I hear ya brother, and no worries... I'm not going anywhere.

And that Carl Sievert character has big arms and is well conditioned, but his back and legs aren't up to par. In any scenario, he's still got a lot of ground on me though so thats about as much critiquing as I can do.

Whats the difference between the Novice Division and the Open Division anyways? I was looking more at the Open competition winners as the competitors and just kind of skipped over the Novice. Do you have to win Novice first? Because I know Ty Dinh won the 2010 Mr. Natural Overall, and that dude is stacked.
    Novice is the class for people competing just out of hobby basically. Different federations have different stipulations but usually if you've placed top 3 in an open class you're not allowed to compete in novice. It's their way of keeping it competitive for the people just doing the show for the hell of it. Not because they aspire for a card.

Open is the actual competition of the show. If there are pro-cards awarded they will be to the overall winner and sometimes the masters open winner also. Meaning if you win bantamweight or middleweight or whatever you earn the position for a posedown with all of the class winners at the end of the show. The winner of this is the show winner who gets the pro-card. And more often than not it is not the heavyweight who takes the card home in a natural show. It's all about conditioning and presentation, not size. To be a heavy-weight with the conditioning to take the show probably means he's been bodybuilding a very, very long time.

You can crossover between novice and open also. I see no point in only competing in novice if you're going to get up there. At least go pose with the rest of the them and see how you stack up. Novice is just a consolation category for losers that weren't capable of bringing home hardware in the open to still bring home a trophy to brag to some unknowing fool that he placed in a competition. I'm being really harsh for someone whose never competed lol. I've just seen it several times, poorly conditioned people crossing over and doing the novice category also and then coming back to the gym bragging they placed in a show. Or worse that they won their class without disclosing that it was the novice division. Don't get me wrong, that's still a HUGE achievement and something to be very, very proud of and deserves bragging. Just not misleading people.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-07-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by KFeld View Post

I may be completely wrong, but I thought Novice division was for first-time competitors? Open division is the more experienced guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Novice is the class for people competing just out of hobby basically. Different federations have different stipulations but usually if you've placed top 3 in an open class you're not allowed to compete in novice. It's their way of keeping it competitive for the people just doing the show for the hell of it. Not because they aspire for a card.

Open is the actual competition of the show. If there are pro-cards awarded they will be to the overall winner and sometimes the masters open winner also. Meaning if you win bantamweight or middleweight or whatever you earn the position for a posedown with all of the class winners at the end of the show. The winner of this is the show winner who gets the pro-card. And more often than not it is not the heavyweight who takes the card home in a natural show. It's all about conditioning and presentation, not size. To be a heavy-weight with the conditioning to take the show probably means he's been bodybuilding a very, very long time.

You can crossover between novice and open also. I see no point in only competing in novice if you're going to get up there. At least go pose with the rest of the them and see how you stack up. Novice is just a consolation category for losers that weren't capable of bringing home hardware in the open to still bring home a trophy to brag to some unknowing fool that he placed in a competition. I'm being really harsh for someone whose never competed lol. I've just seen it several times, poorly conditioned people crossing over and doing the novice category also and then coming back to the gym bragging they placed in a show. Or worse that they won their class without disclosing that it was the novice division. Don't get me wrong, that's still a HUGE achievement and something to be very, very proud of and deserves bragging. Just not misleading people.
    Yup, thanks for the info man, that's what I had thought. I want to work towards a card, why train so hard if you don't even have the chance to win? Here's a link to the 2010 winner btw:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ty-d...ompetition.htm

And here's a link to one of my favorite YouTube BB videos, from 1:30 to 2:30 is awesome... especially Dorian Yates. The sound he makes at 2:01 is so intense, un-freaking-believable:

And my ALL TIME favorite pose routine, Shawn Ray 1999 Olympia, amateurs only get a 1 minute routine though:
    Last edited by KFeld; 02-07-2011 at 12:14 PM.

2/6/11 Diet

Meal 1

Panera Turkey Artichoke 930 126 50 25
    Baguette

Meal 2
    2 Lean Pockets 580 80 24 16
    Knorr Rice Side 600 115 17.5 6.25
    4.5oz Turkey 135 9 20 2.25

Meal 3 (Super Bowl Party)
    3 Coors Lights
    2 Chicken Enchiladas
    8 Mini Hot Dogs
    Chips & Guac

Meal 4
    2 Nitrean 220 6 44 2

Totals: 2465+ kcal, 336+ c, 155.5+ p, 51+ f

------------------------------------

2/7/11 Back

Dual Cable Lat Pulldown (drop setted, light set done with 3 second count down and 3 up)

70x8, 42.5x10
    70x8, 42.5x10
    60x8, 35x12

HammerStrength Lo-Row (Hard negatives every rep)
    90x8
    90x8
    90x8
    90x8

DB One Arm Row
    40x8
    40x8
    40x8

HammerStrength Hi-Row (Hard negatives last 5 each set)
    90x10
    90x10
    90x10

DB Pullover
    30x12
    30x12
    30x12

EZ Bar Reverse Curl
    Bar x 12
    35x12
    35x12

Hammer Curls
    17.5x12
    20x12
    17.5x12

2/7/11 Diet

Meal 1

2 Nitrean 220 6 44 2
    NV Bar 190 29 4 6

Meal 2
    Maximus 600 73 62 7
    NV Bar 190 29 4 6

Meal 3
    NV Bar 190 29 4 6
    Panera Potato Chips 160 19 2 8
    Buffalo Potato Chips 140 15 2 9

Meal 4

Meal 5
    2 Nitrean 220 6 44 2

Totals: 3,380kcal, 454c, 241p, 63f

Notes: Back felt especially thick today, tried to copy Behemoths over-the-head-behind-the-back shot but quickly found out I don't have those types of camera skills. Bummer. I did, however, tip the scales at 191.5 which is 3.5lbs heavier than when I started this journal exactly 3 weeks ago. My boss used his calipers today and pegged me at 13.8%. Seems like I've found the perfect target kcals in 3,500... just need to clean up the quality of the kcals even more in attempts to clean bulk the rest of the way.

Feeling guilty of not having posted a pic when I tried to, I found one laying around on my laptop from about 2 weeks before the end of my carb cut. Almost at my peak leanness here, can't wait to strip off all this fat I've put on these past few months... still got 20lbs of bulking left to go though

Mid July, 2011. Was 163 here (191 now)
    Last edited by KFeld; 02-07-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Is your trainer just doing the occasional workout you do with him or did he set up the diet also?

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Is your trainer just doing the occasional workout you do with him or did he set up the diet also?
    Trainer does my Mondays/Tuesdays (Alternating chest/back on Monday and always Legs Tuesday), and he'll be doing Mondays/Tuesdays/Thursdays soon. So he'll do Chest/Back/Legs when that happens, and I'll be responsible for Arms/Shoulders/Abs/Calves/Cardio.

The diet I set up, trying to hammer out something thats efficient and effective. Just bought some oatmeal today but I freaking HATE oatmeal last I checked... but gonna give it another try. Trying to hit 400+ carbs a day, 250+ protein a day, and around 3,500kcal. I spent some time talking to an individual who worked out at my gym for a while, who took 2nd at Mr. Natty Minnesota last year, and he said his bulk diet was 50g protein a meal, and 100g carbs a meal... and about 5-6 meals a day. So I was basically trying to mimic that, but its tough cause my schedules so inconsistent.

Add stuff to your oatmeal to make it taste better. Something like cinnamon, splenda, fruit, granola, or yogurt. There's ways to making something you don't like taste better
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

Cream of wheat!

Quote Originally Posted by muscle_g View Post
    Add stuff to your oatmeal to make it taste better. Something like cinnamon, splenda, fruit, granola, or yogurt. There's ways to making something you don't like taste better
    Fruit and Granola sounds like winning ideas. The problem with it isn't the taste as much as it is the warm, weird texture.

Cream of wheat!
    I just googled cream of wheat and went to images. That stuff looks even worse than oatmeal.
    Last edited by KFeld; 02-08-2011 at 10:40 PM.

New split in place

Monday - Chest
    Tuesday - Back
    Wednesday - Bis/Tris/Forearms
    Thursdays - Legs
    Fridays - Shoulders/Traps
    Saturdays - OFF
    Sundays - Light Hamstrings/Lower Back/Calves

2/8/11 Chest (Flip-flopped with back this week)

Varied DB Bench (Started with incline bench almost all the way up, then increased weight 10lbs and dropped incline 1. Four pairs of dumbbells done consecutively, rest, then second set)
    40x12
    50x12
    60x12
    70x12 (Flat)
    40x11+1
    50x10+2
    60x10+2
    70x9+3

Decline BB Bench (felt like 3242342 pounds after DB Presses)
    135x8
    135x6+2
    135x5+3
    135x8

Cable Crossovers
    10x12
    10x10+2
    10x8+4
    10x6+6

Knee Raises

Leg Lifts

2/8/11 Diet

Meal 1

1/2 Maximus 300 36.5 31 3.5

Meal 2
    NV Bar 190 29 4 6
    Jalapeno & Cheddar Bagel 310 56 12 3

Meal 3
    Panera Turkey Sandwich + Chicken 560 70 58 4.5
    Potato Chips 160 19 2 8

Meal 4
    4.5oz turkey 135 9 20 2.25

Meal 5
    4oz chicken 105 0 21 2.5

Meal 6
    2 Nitrean 220 6 44 2

Totals: 3180kcal, 455c, 227p, 44.25f

You've never had cream of wheat? OMG it was one of my favorite foods as a kid. I would beg my mother for it (that and cream corn and beets LOL I was a strange kid).

It's slightly higher GI than oatmeal but still a very acceptable BB food. Way less fiber so it's way less filling. Plain it's going to be bland just like plain oatmeal would be. Depending on what you have room for a tbsp of Can't believe its not butter light and some brown sugar and skim and it's like dessert. Otherwise just sugarfree syrup or whatever you use in your oats and milk.

It's dirt cheap like oatmeal too, trust me give it a try.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-09-2011 at 09:14 AM.

You've never had cream of wheat? OMG it was one of my favorite foods as a kid. I would beg my mother for it (that and cream corn and beets LOL I was a strange kid).

It's slightly higher GI than oatmeal but still a very acceptable BB food. Way less fiber so it's way less filling. Plain it's going to be bland just like plain oatmeal would be. Depending on what you have room for a tbsp of Can't believe its not butter light and some brown sugar and skim and it's like dessert. Otherwise just sugarfree syrup or whatever you use in your oats and milk.

It's dirt cheap like oatmeal too, trust me give it a try.
    I'll have to grab some next time I'm at the store, which is tomorrow. And every day actually. But yeah, my only plans for the weekend are experimenting with foods and trying to figure out an acceptable way to hound tons of oatmeal and I guess cream of wheat?!

2/9/11 Arms

Cable EZ-Bar Curl (SS EZ-Bar Pushdown)
    35x12
    35x12
    35x12
    35x12

Cable EZ-Bar Pushdown
    35x12
    42.5x12
    50x12
    57.5x12

One Arm Cable Curl (SS Tri Pulldown)
    12.5x12
    12.5x12
    12.5x12

One Arm Reverse Tri Pulldown
    12.5x12
    12.5x12
    12.5x12

DB Curl (SS One Arm Tri Ext.)
    25x10
    25x10
    25x10

DB One Arm Tri Ext
    10x10
    15x10
    20x10

First 20 sets done in 25 minutes flat. 0 Rest between sets other than moving around, adjusting cables.

Incline DB Curl (2s count on way up, SS Rope Pulldown)
    15x10
    15x10
    15x10

Rope Pulldown
    30x10
    30x10
    30x10

DB Hammer Curls (2s Iso Hold at top of every rep)
    15x12
    17.5x12
    20x12

NOTES: Whole workout finished in 45 mins, absolutely positively the best workout I've had without my trainer in 2011. I also de-activated my FB account 1/8/11, and I've virtually removed myself from the social world around me to focus on training. I'm halfway convinced that I'm going crazy, but I feel like in these past two days my thoughts have been as clear as they've been in months and my motivation has skyrocketed. I guess we're about to find out how sustainable a life of doing literally nothing but eating, sleeping, and training really is...

2/9/11 Diet

Meal 1

4oz Chicken 105 0 21 2.5

Meal 2
    Panera Turkey Sandwich /w chicken 670 72 69 12
    Baguette 180 36 7 1.5

Meal 3
    Maximus 600 73 62 7

Meal 4
    Beef Jerky 240 9 45 3
    Potato Chips 140 15 2 9

Tot: 3,435kcal, 471.5c, 272p, 51f

--------------------

2/10/11 Legs

Leg Press

180x20

1 Legged Leg Press
    180x15
    270x12
    180x15
    180x15

Smith Machine Sq (Assuming bar = 15)
    105x15 (so this = a plate/side)
    155x15
    195x12
    215x6+9 (Weight drop setted)

Leg Curls (SS Leg Ext.)
    65x12
    80x12
    80x12

Leg Ext. (At this point I was so exhausted I just kept lifting and didn't pay attention to the weight)
    ??x12
    ??x12
    ??x12

NOTES: For as good as I felt yesterday, I felt bad today. I generally take 3 hours off in the middle of my day for leg workouts. I usually spend the first hour watching motivational YouTube videos and listening to pump up music, the second driving back to the gym and actually working out, and the third recovering and eating. I didn't have the chance to mentally prep for this workout and it destroyed me... thought I was going to black out the whole time, so we kept the pace/weight down.

On a lighter note, EVERY single leg workout I've had in the past two months, I've had at least 1 person come up to me and make some comment along the lines of "You've gotta be out of your damned mind to do what you're doing," or "What you're doing is crazy," or "That's what trainings supposed to look like." My favorite one was when someone walked up to me and said "What you're doing isn't even training anymore, it just looks like you're preparing for war." These comments always make my day.

On a darker note, I'm pretty sure I've either got a hernia or a muscle strain in my groin.. have to make a doc apt in the morning to get it looked at. Feeling like I'm going to be bummed out either way.

2/10/11 Diet

Meal 1

Chipotle 1020 127 54 36
    Chips& Guac 285 36 4 14

Meal 2
    Panera Turkey Sandwich Extra Turkey 670 72 67 11
    16oz 2% Milk 260 26 16 10

Meal 3
    16oz 2% Milk 260 26 16 10
    2 Nitrean 220 6 44 2
    Potato Chips 140 15 2 9

Meal 4
    NV Bar 190 29 4 6

Tot: 3,645kcal, 452c, 224p, 104.25f

how about some maltodextrin powder? Or something more refined than oatmeal at least would be easier to pound... like bagels!

House Lannister
    how about some maltodextrin powder? Or something more refined than oatmeal at least would be easier to pound... like bagels!
    Like vag................................................

wut?

I do love me some bagels, boss at work suggested making/freezing a bunch of egg patties for the week and having bagels/egg patty/meat breakfast sandwiches in the morning. We'll see how the oatmeal thing goes first though... just bought some granola and some fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Like vag................................................

wut?
    Not enough calories in that bro, so I've gotta put that on the back burner for now!

2/11/11 Diet

Meal 1

Rice Side 600 115 17.5 6.25
    2 Nitrean 220 6 44 2

Meal 2
    Panera Turkey Sandwich 670 72 67 11
    Potato Chips 140 15 2 9

Meal 3
    2 NV Bars 380 58 8 12
    Chipotle 680 75 53 22

Meal 5
    Buffalo wing chips 840 90 12 54
    2 ON Whey protein 240 6 48 2

Totals: 3770kcal, 437c, 251.1p, 118.25f

2/11/11 Shoulders/Traps

Standing Reverse Pec Dec

85x12
    85x12
    100x12
    100x12

Seated DB Lat Raise
    15x12
    20x12
    20x10
    15x12

Lying Cable Rear Delt
    15x12
    10x15
    10x15
    10x15

DB Front Raise
    20x12
    22.5x12
    25x12

Smith BTB Shrug
    105x15
    155x12
    155x8
    105x15

DB Shrug
    60x15
    55x15
    55x15
    55x15

I never understood traps on shoulder day...

I never understood traps on shoulder day...
    If I were training back by myself I'd put it on back day, but since I'm with trainer for back/chest/legs, all I've got to do on my own are shoulders/arms/traps/calves to fit into 3 days. So I put Arms (Bi's/Tri's/Forearms) by themselves with Abs, and Shoulders/Traps together, and Calves/ light Hamstrings together. I donno, I'm open to suggestions, how would you re-arrange it differently?
    Last edited by KFeld; 02-12-2011 at 04:27 PM.

I blend up raw oatmeal and toss it in shakes. I agree cream of wheat is great. I just bought some today. I also agree on traps with back. And not to lecture...I understand wanting to focus on your lifting, but you need balance man. You gotta enjoy your life too. You only live once.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    I blend up raw oatmeal and toss it in shakes. I agree cream of wheat is great. I just bought some today. I also agree on traps with back. And not to lecture...I understand wanting to focus on your lifting, but you need balance man. You gotta enjoy your life too. You only live once.
    Raw oatmeal really doesn't blend well for me, it becomes so chalky... I hear cooked oatmeal blends nicely though. And yeah, balance would be nice if I didn't spend 8-10 hours a day in the gym seeing myself in the mirror feeling small, weak, and fat. Besides, Id enjoy life one hundred times more if I could hit the beach and be the biggest, baddest, most ripped dude there.

1/12/11 Diet/Off-Day

Meal 1
    Healthy Choice thing 260 35 16 6
    4oz chicken 105 0 21 2.5
    2 Nitrean 220 6 44 2

Meal 2
    NV Bar 190 29 4 6
    Panera Turkey Artichoke 900 108 44 32
    Chips

Meal 3
    8 Drinks 800 0 0 0
    Everything Omelette at late night Diner ?? ? ? ?

Totals: 3,375kcal+, 329.5c+, 177.5p+, 58.5f+
    Notes: Need to stop drinking, and eatin' like an ******* after I drink. See 2/13/11 -> Sonic

------------------------------------

2/13/11 Hamstrings/Abs/Calves

SLDL
    (First time in 6+ months)
    45x12
    95x12
    145x12
    195x10
    195x8

Lying Leg Curl (Wide)
    65x12
    70x12
    70x12

Lying Leg Curl (Narrow)
    50x12
    50x12
    50x12

1 Footed Calf Raise on Seated Leg Press
    70x15
    90x15
    110x12
    90x15

Seated Calf Raise
    90x15
    90x15
    90x15
    90x15

Reverse Crunches (Tri-Set /w Leg Lifts and Knee Raises)

Leg Lifts

Knee Raises

Crunches (Slow contraction/iso hold at top)

2/13/11 Diet

Meal 1
    Sonic 1670 149 58 94

Meal 2

Meal 3
    4oz chicken 105 0 21 2.5

Meal 4
    NV Bar 190 29 4 6

Meal 5
    4.5oz chicken 125 5 22.5 2.5
    2 Nitrean 220 6 44 2

Totals: 3,810kcal, 455.5c, 215.5p, 123f

Some pictures from the day:

One of my clients brought me a dinner for Valentines Day! Pretty awesome. Steak, greens, and a potato:

Decided to take my baby out for a car wash today, as a special gift to her for V-Day. It was night so here's a day photo:

And then two pictures of me directly after eating dinner, weight 194ish.
    Side relaxed:

Front relaxed:

2/14/11 Chest Day

BB Bench (Stopped 2 inches off chest, slow up and down)
    135x15
    185x8+2 assisted
    185x6+4 assisted
    185x0+8 assisted
    115x10 assisted with a 3-2-3 count (3 seconds down, 2 sec hold, 3 seconds up)

HS Inc Press
    90x8
    90x8
    90x8
    90x8
    90x8

DB Decline
    35x12
    40x12
    40x12
    40x12
    40x12

Pec Dec 21's (7 bottom half, 7 top half, 7 full ROM)
    70x14-15 (Chest gassed)
    40x21
    40x10

2/14/11 Diet

Meal 1
    NV Bar 190 29 4 6
    NV Bar 190 29 4 6

Meal 2
    7oz chicken 240 0 48 2
    4.5oz chicken 105 0 21 2.5