Thread: Bulking Luck?

Bulking Luck?

Basically, I started to eat a bunch around 3 weeks ago, to gain up to 180lbs from 170. I did that, I gained a bit of strength. Then I lost back down to 170, still gained strength. Now I ate back up to 180. I just tested my bench press max tonight and I did 245->250->255 easily. So in a matter of 3 weeks I've gone from a max of around 225 to 255. Is this just "beginner's luck" as they say or maybe it's just easier to gain strength when you're not really lifting heavy weights yet? As much as I was not getting progress before, it's like I did a 180 and then went double speed the other way. I like it but it would be nice to explain it logically...

Codeguru

Banned
    Ive been meaning to start a thread on this, but haven't gotten around to it. The "tired of being skinny" thread adressed some of this.

But basically, a lot of times the missing component in people's success is lack of food. They train hard, take supplements, etc., etct. But adding in 500-1000kcals a day sometimes is what is needed and people usually aren't willing to do this for one reason or another.

You wont get those type of gains consistantly, and you obviously have some "beginner's luck" and untapped strength still. But most people will eventually get to the point, where they can not make progress without eating more.

for beginners, i usually think of it as a "wake up" period. you're not actually building strength/muscle, but you're basically waking up your muscles and tuning them in with your CNS. as a result, your numbers will increase pretty drastically from workout to workout, but this doesn't last long before you have to start focusing on your diet and program for progression.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

You bulked and gained strength and you think it might be luck? Losing strength during a 10lb diet is certainly not inevitable. I continue to get stronger anywhere from a couple weeks to over a month while being on a diet, takes a while for things to stall out and regress if you're doing things right. It sounds like you are, stick with it.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    You bulked and gained strength and you think it might be luck? Losing strength during a 10lb diet is certainly not inevitable. I continue to get stronger anywhere from a couple weeks to over a month while being on a diet, takes a while for things to stall out and regress if you're doing things right. It sounds like you are, stick with it.
    Well, I've said in a few other posts my bench press had all but stalled completely and was actually going backwards in weight some. Now it's higher than it's ever been in my life all within a month and still going up. I mean I did used to be a giant fat 245lbs loser in high school and I wasn't this strong so I wasn't too sure it was just the bulking. But anyway I guess it's working so there's not much else to do other than, like you said, stick with it and see where it goes...

Codeguru