Thread: wrist question with heavy bench

wrist question with heavy bench

I have a question for some of the big benchers on here. I have been noticing some mild swelling of my right wrist (the hand that gives me grip fits with the deadlift) after benching heavy for the last several training sessions.

I benched heavy yesterday (up to 715 full range followed by 745 successfully, then missed 785 off a 3 board in a single ply SK) and noticed that my wrist was swollen along the middle region and laterally towards the thumb immediately after I was done benching. I had no discomfort, no pain, just swelling. I iced my wrists and elbows after training like I always do. Its not painful today, but does seem a little "stiff" and there is some residual swelling. Nothing bad happened during that workout, no dumps, no unusual torquing of the wrist that I'm aware of. I wrapped them the same way I always do, starting while warming up.

What are you guys doing for conditioning/maintenance of the wrists for big benches? I was told by one lifter to not only ice wrists and elbows after every workout, but also do high rep, light wrist curls with a dumbell--like sets of 15-25 with a 15-20 lb dumbell and make a point to stretch, not only fingers, but the carpal canal and forearm muscles every day when handling big weights.

Any other suggestions/tricks I'm missing?

Thanks.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    It's amazing how things light up when you start benching heavy isn't it?

When I started having problems with my wrists and forearms I was told by a few benchers who are much, much better than I am to work the reverse curls, do rubber band stretches ( put the rubber bands around your fingers with your fingers together then open your hand against the tension)..... wrist roller work and lots of ICE also.

It sounds like you have everything together..... but hey, if the swelling isn't really causing any pain then I wouldn't sweat it. My hands swell every time I get up over 600..... I'm pretty sure they were like that for a good day after big Rob helped me hit my 805 PR from a 2-board.............................................................................................

I use something called the gripstick http://www.gripstik.com/

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Use you shake weight Jack
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    THANKS! I'll look into this.
    Last edited by JK1; 01-19-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    It's amazing how things light up when you start benching heavy isn't it?

When I started having problems with my wrists and forearms I was told by a few benchers who are much, much better than I am to work the reverse curls, do rubber band stretches ( put the rubber bands around your fingers with your fingers together then open your hand against the tension)..... wrist roller work and lots of ICE also.

It sounds like you have everything together..... but hey, if the swelling isn't really causing any pain then I wouldn't sweat it. My hands swell every time I get up over 600..... I'm pretty sure they were like that for a good day after big Rob helped me hit my 805 PR from a 2-board.............................................................................................

THANKS! for the info. What size rubberband did you use for the rubber band stretches? I'm assuming a thick wide one?
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong51 View Post
    Use you shake weight Jack
    I thought you took it with you the last time you were at the gym. Something about it being the best piece of exercise equipment ever.......
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Seems weird that only one side is swelling no?

Are you maybe not taking the weight evenly? Protecting an elbow or shoulder injury on the same side? You might want to video yourself to see if you might be doing something like that.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Keep it clean Vincent. I'ma almost afraid to click on this link

Swelling is a really big red flag. I'd get that wrist checked out. You may have something else going on in there like a mild stress fracture or something. I've beat my wrists up pretty bad, but never had any swelling.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    Seems weird that only one side is swelling no?

Are you maybe not taking the weight evenly? Protecting an elbow or shoulder injury on the same side? You might want to video yourself to see if you might be doing something like that.
    well, the injury list isn't necessarily short...... I partially tore ligaments in my right elbow about 6 years ago. I've got a decreased ROM (flexion, not extension) and had some issues with a nerve entrapment in the right forearm from scar tissue from that injury, but I think my ART guy has worked through it. I also partially tore my left rotator cuff 18 years ago and I have an impingment in both shoulders, with my right worse than my left. I know I guard the right shoulder benching raw at anything over 435. I haven't noticed it benching in a shirt. My training partners watch the right arm closely and yell at me about it if anything is slightly off. They didn't notice anything with it until I missed the 785 off the 3 board. In that case it was my right triceps that gave out. I'm a few pounds heavier right now than my last meet, and the shirt was very tight. I don't think that was a major problem though once I got weight to touch.

Unfortunately I don't have video of any of the lifts from Monday. I'll get a camera set up and see about any descrepancies the next time I bench in the shirt.

THANKS!
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Swelling is a really big red flag. I'd get that wrist checked out. You may have something else going on in there like a mild stress fracture or something. I've beat my wrists up pretty bad, but never had any swelling.
    I've never had a fracture (i've broke lots of stuff too) without bone pain. I'd like to think I'd feel it if something was broken. the swelling is gone now. If it swells again on Thursday after DE bench, I'll radiograph it at work on Friday.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..