The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How is it possible?

I've been using the 5/3/1 for 7 months doing everything by the numbers without stalling. I recently felt like working up to a new bench 1RM and was greatly disappointed when I couldn't make even a 5 lb PR! What the F#@k? Acoording to reps calculations, I should be able to do 10 to 20 lbs more than what I actually did. How is this possible? Any help is appreciated

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you got mental.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Wannabebig Member
    It's possible to get better at reps without getting better at a 1RM. To put it simply, your body learned to conserve some energy for the later reps rather than put everything into one all out effort. It's the same reason why running a mile won't make you a champion in the 100m.

I have also found that newfound strength from doing higher reps isn't always able to be expressed right away. It may take a cycle of lower reps to "realize" the strength gains from the higher reps. You may have gotten stronger, you just aren't able to express it at this very moment.

the newer option of putting singles up to 90 % 2 times in 4 weeks could be a tool too .

here : http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...t/531_reloaded

You could have also just had an off-day. Look at your sleep, nutrition, and stress levels. Did the other lifts go up or have you not tested them yet?

You could always try again in a week or two and see.
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

"Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    not every routine works for everyone..... find something that does.

I also agree with the above poster talking about how rep strength doesn't always calculate out to a 1RM...... especially in gear.

I lift with a brutally strong 181-er who can pull a good 5 reps with 605... but he can't pull 650 for 1..... years of training for reps is making it hard for him to put the power down for one big effort...... so he's concentrated on doing lots of heavy singles and I'm sure he'll end up on a top 10 all time list eventually.

I can understand the reps not calculating over to a 1 RM. My other lifts have improved, but that wasn't too hard cause I just started focusing on them with this program after 15 years. Honestly my diet and sleep are so out of whack, but they have been for a while. I'm thinking of starting the WS program for something different.

I am not a power lifter, but I've been using this programming formula along side 5/3/1 with some success...

On your last top set, when you do max reps, take your reps achieved and subtract 2. Multiply that by 5, and this gives you the poundage to add to the bar. Depending on bar speed, feel and performance perform 1-3 singles with this weight.

So for example: You rep out 200lbs on the bench at 10 reps. 10-2=8. 8x5=40. Add 40lbs to the bar... doing 240lbs for 1-3 singles depending on bar speed and feel.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

This thread wound up on Outlaws as another way to continue the recent cool trend to anonymously bash Jim Wendler, but they took it down. I don't undestand why people can't accept different ways to train.

I like Raleighwood's suggestion the best. 5/3/1 in the limited time I did it wasn't great to my bench either.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Banned
    I don't like 5/3/1 for increasing bench.

Honestly, I felt 5/3/1 was amazing for lower body and pretty awful for upper body. I did make gains on everything, but military and bench were PAINFULLY slow. I switched to benching 3 times a week for a month and my bench went up 20 pounds...

I took me 5 months to get 20 pounds using 5/3/1....

One thing you can try is using a bench variation as an accessory on your military press day.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 01-17-2011 at 09:26 AM.

I did the bench day every 5 days, and didnt have a shoulder press day. MY bench did good like this but i didnt hit as big of a max as i though i would, need to add some heavy benching in there somewhere.

I used 5/3/1 on my bench for 2 cycles and I noticed a pretty good gain. Before I started I couldn't bench 425 with a pause, and on my last week of my 2nd cycle I was able to pause it and lock it out. Maybe you did too many cycles of the program and you got stale.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

I wasn't trying to bash the program at all and actually like the simplicity of it, but some people react better to different things I guess. I'm thinking along the lines of what Brian said and maybe it was just getting stale for me. I feel I need to kick it into another gear and try something different, but can see myself coming back to 5/3/1 for a change.

5/3/1 sounds boring, i like to lift heavy things though so idk.

I'll admit, it was boring for me after 2 cycles, that's why I stopped at 2. IMO, it's still a good program, I just can't do the same movement for X amount of weeks. I have been thinking about doing it again for another 2 week cycle.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by ehopkins932 View Post
    You could have also just had an off-day. Look at your sleep, nutrition, and stress levels. Did the other lifts go up or have you not tested them yet?

You could always try again in a week or two and see.
    this has my vote
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

well time will tell if was diet, sleep or just stalling out. I'm starting a WS program tomorrow and should know within a week what the verdict is. Hopefully it's not just me being a bitch. thanks for all the feedback

ok I did my first WS ME bench workout and though I felt it was a great workout, my numbers were below expectations. I worked up to singles but the most I was able to get was 10 lbs lower than my numbers last June. wow this is mind boggling to me but I will continue to press on

5/3/1 works better for paused bench and narrow grip bench IMO. Focus less on programs and more so where and why did you fail the lift? Weak triceps? Weak chest? Too slow and it stalled? No arch? Too much arch? Hamstring cramps? There are a million reasons why a lift can do wrong. If you moving on to westside you still need to address these issues to make any short of gains and usefulness out of that kind of methodology.