The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Weak Mofo

bench press plateau

I'm having a problem. It seems since I started working out in a gym with a real routine that my bench press weight has gone no where but down... As you can see from my signature I used to be able to do 175 x 6. Today I barely managed 165 x 3. I'm about to finish my third week of the "Up Your Bench 30 Pounds in 30 Days" routine that can be found on these forums. I've seen nothing but good feedback about this routine, yet I don't feel like I'm making any progress at all with the bench. Any other triceps / chest focus exercise has been increasing for me, except for the bench press. Before I started going to the gym, I worked out at home. I benched 3 times a week as heavy as I could 3 x 5 and the only accessory I did was dumbbell rows. That's it, bench and rows, the only two things I did. My bench jumped from 115 to 170 in only three months. And this was without supplementation, without watching macros, and while dieting. Now I'm in a gym, with a real routine, HTC - 12, although currently doing this bench program, using supplementation, and eating everything in sight. I've gained 16 pounds in the last two months because I was afraid I wasn't eating enough, so I loaded up, and to my dismay it didn't help my bench at all. Although everything else is going up. Bench hasn't increased in atleast 2 - 3 months now. It's actually decreased.

Is it possible my body responds better to less work? Less volume? For example when I was only benching and doing rows my bench was shooting up, but when I switched to a real routine with more lifts and movements, and volume, my bench has suffered alot.

These are my supplements:
    ETS: 4 in morning, 4 at night
    RESULTS: Post workout because it negatively effects my workout performance.
    Nitrean: Whenever I feel like I haven't had enough protein. Atleast one a day, 2 scoops.
    Multi: 3 a day
    Fish oil: 3 a day

Lastly, I also have a thyroid disease. These are some of the common symptoms:
    - Tiredness, sluggishness (All the time) ...... I have this
    - Pale dry skin ...... I have pale skin
    - unexplained weight gain ...... Haven't experienced this yet
    - Hard to loose weight ...... I lost 55 pounds a year and a half ago. It was a very hard struggle.
    - Stiffness in shoulders and hips ...... I have VERY poor flexibility in shoulders and hips
    - Muscle weakness especially in your lower extremities ...... Definitely have this
    - Decreased release of thyroid hormone ..... I don't know thyroid hormone has any effect on the body or mucles, but the doctor has told me mine is definitely decreased.

I haven't been able to get any medication for my thyroid disorder because the doctor says it's not "severe" enough yet. But I'm going back next month hopefully.

Anyways, if anyone has tips or info for me please help me out. thank you all

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Is it possible my body responds better to less work? Less volume?
    I've been preaching that for the last couple of years here...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Weak Mofo
    Also, upon digging deeper into some research, I found that the thyroid regulates the hormones that primarily control growth. Growth of cells. Including cells that make up ....... muscle...... And of course I am hypothyroid which causes decreased levels of these hormones and I suppose, theoretically speaking, decrease in potential muscle growth.

I really need to get back to the endo and try to get some medication. Sadly I'll have to take it every day for the rest of my life.

Banned
    Haven't you been changing your form a lot lately? When you did 175x6, was that with the same form as now? Like I said in your critique my bench thread, you are bringing the bar too low and tucking too much for a raw bench. Im not saying flair your elbows, but definitely tuck less. Try to aim for a 40-45 degree angle with your arms. Go to youtube and find all the 500+ bench presses...they don't bring the bar that low unless they are shirted.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 01-20-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Weak Mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Haven't you been changing your form a lot lately? When you did 175x6, was that with the same form as now? Like I said in your critique my bench thread, you are bringing the bar too low and tucking too much for a raw bench. Im not saying flair your elbows, but definitely tuck less. Try to aim for a 40-45 degree angle with your arms. Go to youtube and find all the 500+ bench presses...they don't bring the bar that low unless they are shirted.
    I haven't been changing it alot. I just went from average gym-goer flat bench with no particular leg position and no arch, to the arched PL form. I switched forms because of this same problem that I mentioned. My bench was suffering so I thought maybe form issues could have been a contributing factor, so I switched. I also switched because I have a 77 1/2 inch arm span and benching with an arch took 5 inches off my ROM which helped my shoulders. I do agree that I was bringing the bar too low in my video. I have fixed that. That was very light weight that I was benching in the video and when I switched to heavy weight the bar came down farther up on my body where it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    I really need to get back to the endo and try to get some medication. Sadly I'll have to take it every day for the rest of my life.

Don't let this get you down too much. Many people have 'things', but it's just not outwardly visible to the rest of the world. I personally was a little surprised by the past injuries stated in another thread by people like Off Road and Chris Mason. My two 'things' are a current shoulder impingement and (worse) a spinal injury 21 years ago that left me a quadriplegic. Yes: A quadriplegic. I rarely mention that on this board because I don't find it relevant. But I was. Yet here I am today, dead lifting 335 x 6. If you have the desire, you'll find a work-around.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Weak Mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosch232 View Post
    Don't let this get you down too much. Many people have 'things', but it's just not outwardly visible to the rest of the world. I personally was a little surprised by the past injuries stated in another thread by people like Off Road and Chris Mason. My two 'things' are a current shoulder impingement and (worse) a spinal injury 21 years ago that left me a quadriplegic. Yes: A quadriplegic. I rarely mention that on this board because I don't find it relevant. But I was. Yet here I am today, dead lifting 335 x 6. If you have the desire, you'll find a work-around.
    Believe me, I am trying everything I can. There is nothing I want more than to progress with weight lifting. I love every second I'm in the gym and wish I could be there every second I'm not.

Speaking of back problems, I have to figure out why my back is messed up... I've done a 250 deadlift, but even when I started deadlifting doing 135 hurt my back. I've had a sore lower back for probably a year now and the chiropractor can't fix it either. I can't figure it out. Could be as simple as my inflexible hips or maybe something spinal. I have no idea and nothing at all seems to help. I''m a mess....

Deadlifting can help lower back pain. It helped mine. Drop the weight perfect your form, you make think you have good form but spend a month perfecting it if you have to, then build it up slowly. Chris Mason among a lot of other people have also claimed that a lot of lower back issus cna be solved by training the deadlift.

As for your bench, something is not right, your either not resting/recovering enough or your changing too many other things at the same time.

You say that you are doin HCT and 30LBS in 30 days? Or you did HCT?

Sorry just didnt understand your post.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Weak Mofo
    I was doing HCT-12, then decided to take a month to do the 30lbs/30 days bench program. After this next week I will be done with the bench program and will return to HCT-12. My guess is that my bench press 1RM will be even lower than when I started the benching program. Basically I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I am now starting to think that my hashimoto's disease thyroid problem is holding me back more than anything. Definitely gonna make an appointment with the Endo.

As for deadlifting, I've been trying to make it work for the last 6 months now. Just performing the movement without even holding a bar will make my back hurt. For example, I think it was two-ish week ago I last tried deadlifting, I was doing some warmups by deadlifting nothing, I was just performing the movement. Then my girlfriend needed me so I helped her out with some things for about 20 minutes, I went back to start deadlifting again and realized my lower back hurt pretty bad, and that was just from bending over like 10-15 times. But I decided to deadlift anyways, and the next day my back gave out at my girlfriends house and I couldn't stand up for over an hour. Like I said... I'm a mess

EDIT: I also wanted to mention that Leg Presses, as well as machine hack squats, and normal squats, all make my back hurt alot aswell.

Banned
    Lower back pain will lower your numbers on bench as well. The bench is a full body movement. If you can't deadlift with zero weight, you need to work on that before you even consider why your bench is going down.

A couple things...

I have a job where sometimes I do nothing but sit (slouched) in front of a computer all day or I can be busy replacing/fixing stuff all day..just depends. On the days that I'm in front of a computer I've noticed my back takes a beating if I'm slouched in my chair for any measurable amount of time and I definitely feel this on DLs.

The other thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is are you doing any core work? I never use to but since incorporating that I've noticed a lot less stress on my lower back when doing Squats/DLs.

more upper back and lat work.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Weak Mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Lower back pain will lower your numbers on bench as well. The bench is a full body movement. If you can't deadlift with zero weight, you need to work on that before you even consider why your bench is going down.
    I mean... I can deadlift, it just kills my back later. I'm currently trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with my back. I've been seeing a chiropractor for a couple months now and nothing he has done has helped a bit. My back problems started before I ever even started lifting weights.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    A couple things...

I have a job where sometimes I do nothing but sit (slouched) in front of a computer all day or I can be busy replacing/fixing stuff all day..just depends. On the days that I'm in front of a computer I've noticed my back takes a beating if I'm slouched in my chair for any measurable amount of time and I definitely feel this on DLs.

The other thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is are you doing any core work? I never use to but since incorporating that I've noticed a lot less stress on my lower back when doing Squats/DLs.
    Kind of the same here but not with computer. I am a commercial heating technician and I spend lots of time standing / crawling / kneeling / climbing, etc. Also depending on what I'm doing I can also spend alot of time sitting on my ass doing nothing.

I didn't used to do any core work, but I figured I should start because it would aid my deadlift and squats. It definitely helped them because my max squat shot up from 180 to 205 in a matter of weeks. But it got to the point where I couldn't even squat without getting back pain. Which I attribute to my inflexible hips making my back round at the bottom. I'm not doing squats or deadlift currently and am working on increasing my flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    more upper back and lat work.
    What kind of stuff would you suggest?

Pulls ups, rows and face pulls have helped me out a LOT for upper back and lat development for bench accessory stuff...
    On the days that you're just sitting in the office all day, do your hips get sore/tight(er)? I know mine do so on slow days I usually make sure to get up frequently to avoid that.

Weak Mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Pulls ups, rows and face pulls have helped me out a LOT for upper back and lat development for bench accessory stuff...
    On the days that you're just sitting in the office all day, do your hips get sore/tight(er)? I know mine do so on slow days I usually make sure to get up frequently to avoid that.
    I'm just a lowly field technician so sadly I don't get my own office. But I do spend a lot of time sitting on a bucket doing nothing and my hips definitely get tight. For the last two weeks I've been performing a variety of stretches daily that can be found HERE.

Basically what I've decided to do is just continue to do what I'm doing and definitely see the Endo about my Hashimoto's Disease. Keep stretching my hips and probably switch up my exercises when I get back to HCT-12. Gonna try low volume vs. high volume to see what my body responds to better.

Wannabebig New Member
    When you find a training protocol isn't working, change it up. The worst thing you can do is get stuck into a training program that isn't working for you. Due to the laws of individual differences, not everyone will respond the same to a specific workout protocol. Having an injured back can also have negative affects on your other lifts, even if it's just psychologically. Good luck with your training.