The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Close grip stressing shoulder.

I recently added CG's back to my routine as a tricep movement. I went with my pinkies on the rough area and the rest of hand on the smooth area. While I could tuck WAY better than my normal flat bench, it put tremendous stress on my left shoulder. Any ideas? Maybe I can go wider?

I think I may be too close...when I am on my chest my arms look like this. I think with the awkward angle of my arms, it puts the stress on my shoulders.
    ___
    / \
    Last edited by mchicia1; 01-22-2011 at 07:09 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I could see it being a flexibility issue. The wider the grip, the less the ROM. Because you're using a very close grip, it could be pushing your shoulder past what they're use to. Personally, I see no issue using a wider grip, or lower the weight and work on the ROM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Banned
    A closer grip will require more ROM for your shoulders. Maybe try a JM press toreduce shoulder flexion

I don't do CGBP for this very reason.

I agree with both of the above sugesstions. Either reduce the weight and work on your shoulder flexibility/ROM or substitute with another exercise.

When doing close grip presses for triceps don't tuck your elbows, instead flare out your elbows and only go down about 2/3 of the way so you keep most of the stress in the triceps and out of the delt. Also focus on hard contractions more than how much is on the bar. Tucking the elbows mechanically puts more stress on shoulders.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 01-23-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    When doing close grip presses for triceps don't tuck your elbows, instead flare out your elbows and only go down about 2/3 of the way so you keep most of the stress in the triceps and out of the delt. Also focus on hard contractions more than how much is on the bar. Tucking the elbows mechanically puts more stress on shoulders.
    Interesting point. Especially since many on here advocate tucking the shoulders to REDUCE the stress on the shoulders, but I have always found that is not the case.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Interesting point. Especially since many on here advocate tucking the shoulders to REDUCE the stress on the shoulders, but I have always found that is not the case.
    I think the tucking of elbows (with a wider grip) is to reduce stress on the pec. It also has more to do with the rotator cuff than the actual deltoid muscles.

With the narrower grip, I think it would be more important than anything to look at the amount of shoulder extension and elbow flexion (the joint angles). With a heavy bench, you usually want the bar and your wrists directly above your elbows. But if you are trying to work your triceps, you want the bar in behind your elbows (toward your head) to some degree.

It looks like most people suggested similar things. Either shorten the ROM or change the exercise to target the triceps more.

Personally, i'd either do CG floor press or close grip bench to the pecs for heavier work, and then JM press and tricep extensions for additional lighter work.

If I go too narrow, tuck too much, or touch too low it irriates my shoulders. Beyond a certain point going more narrow or tucking more isn't necessarily helpful. Tinker with your grip and tuck find the "sweet spot" where you are still working your triceps well but not causing shoulder problems. Another thing I've found helpful for the triceps is doing a 3-board or tucking part of a foam roller under my shirt and doing close-grip BP to one of these. This allows me to tuck pretty hard and keep the emphasis on the triceps, but eliminate the bottom part of the ROM where the shoulders get irritated. For me, taking a super narrow grip that causes my elbows to flare out causes me to shift much of the emphasis to the pecs and off the triceps.
    Last edited by Sean S; 01-23-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    If I go too narrow, tuck too much, or touch too low it irriates my shoulders. Beyond a certain point going more narrow or tucking more isn't necessarily helpful. Tinker with your grip and tuck find the "sweet spot" where you are still working your triceps well but not causing shoulder problems. Another thing I've found helpful for the triceps is doing a 3-board or tucking part of a foam roller under my shirt and doing close-grip BP to one of these. This allows me to tuck pretty hard and keep the emphasis on the triceps, but eliminate the bottom part of the ROM where the shoulders get irritated. For me, taking a super narrow grip that causes my elbows to flare out causes me to shift much of the emphasis to the pecs and off the triceps.
    I think I will see if I can get my normal bench press arch, use a wider grip, and tuck less. Only reason I am hesitant to use boards initially is because I go to a commercial gym and they do not possess boards...so I would have to bring them in. Thanks for the tips.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 01-23-2011 at 12:34 PM.