Thread: Ex-USC football player suing school (guy who dropped bar on throat)

Ex-USC football player suing school (guy who dropped bar on throat)

Just curious about what you guys think about this. Stefan Johnson was benching 275 and said his spotter, who happened to be the strength coach, was screwing around and didn't give him a good hand off. He dropped the bar on his throat and crushed his larynx.

Who is at fault? Would you sue?

Story here
    Last edited by tnathletics2b; 01-25-2011 at 05:35 AM.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Banned
    weight lifting is a risk-taking activity. i think he will have a difficult time proving the liability of his spotter, a university employee. having said that, he'll probably get some settlement money from the school to go away.

at the same time, to empathize, if i were a college athlete and my strength coach was supposed to be spotting but was instead scratching his balls, i would also be very angry.

edit: i think this lawsuit has some merit. will be interesting as to how it pans
    Last edited by f=ma; 01-25-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I've been checking out gyms lately, the new year price war thing.... Anyway, I'm shocked. I've seen people using machines that they have no business on. Beyond horrible form, absolutely dangerous. And spotters, what spotters? Those ding dogs couldn't catch the bar if they tried!! The best thing though, the scrawny runt showing the facilities walks right on by with out saying a word. I saw one kid on a cable row trying to hang himself, and I could help but to step in and say 'Dude! Stop, lemme help you out there' The kid showing me the gym just kinda watched for a minute, then told me they think its best to let people workout in their own way.
    If the gym don't have a lot of cussin' and smell like tires, I aint going. I ain't getting shot, smashed, or ran over because of some idiot.

Wow, so these details are just now coming out? Sounds like a bunch of **** to me. I remember at the time this happened the story was that Johnson was benching with a no thumbs grip and that's how the bar rolled onto his neck. How the hell does someone spotting you on bench bump the bar with his body when it's in your hands? Think about it.....that's virtually impossible. Yanchar would have to have been leaning way over into the rack and is the clumsiest man alive.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    Wow, so these details are just now coming out? Sounds like a bunch of **** to me. I remember at the time this happened the story was that Johnson was benching with a no thumbs grip and that's how the bar rolled onto his neck. How the hell does someone spotting you on bench bump the bar with his body when it's in your hands? Think about it.....that's virtually impossible. Yanchar would have to have been leaning way over into the rack and is the clumsiest man alive.
    That is exactly what I was thinking- how could he bump the bar when Johnson has it in his hands to bench? I thought it was also interesting how he is suing for "future earnings" that he lost. He made it on the Titans but suffered a career ending injury there- where is the loss of earnings from the bench press incident? He still made it to the NFL.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

He's going to lose big time in this lawsuit.

Like you guys said, the fact that he made it into the NFL really negates the lack of earnings thing. If he'd have never made it, he might have more of a case.

Just makes him seem like a loser for comming back to the school this long afterwards to sue them.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking- how could he bump the bar when Johnson has it in his hands to bench? I thought it was also interesting how he is suing for "future earnings" that he lost. He made it on the Titans but suffered a career ending injury there- where is the loss of earnings from the bench press incident? He still made it to the NFL.
    Exactly. He made it to the NFL anyways. I hope this is thrown out of court quickly. You would have to literally fall over on top of the guy in order to bump the bar with your body when it is in his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by travis bell View Post
    just makes him seem like a loser for coming back to the school this long afterwards to sue them.
    bingo!

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    I saw this the other day, entire thing seems very odd to me, interesting to see how it plays out
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"