Thread: Deadlift Grip

Deadlift Grip

I'm trying to get some deadlifting into my routine but even at a measly 195lbs my hands and fingers are slipping by the 8th rep or before. What are some specific exercises to strengthen my grip? I'm also using the over-under grip while doing it, is that the best method?...

Codeguru

Would you consider using straps or hooks? If you aren't planning on competing, that is the direction I would go. You can train your grip in other ways, but I wouldn't allow your grip to be the weak link in your back training.

http://www.1tonhooks.com/1TonHooks.htm

Chalk.

Even the slippiest oly bar in my gym stick like glue when I coat my hands in chalk.

Try it and don't look back!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
    I'm trying to get some deadlifting into my routine but even at a measly 195lbs my hands and fingers are slipping by the 8th rep or before. What are some specific exercises to strengthen my grip? I'm also using the over-under grip while doing it, is that the best method?...

Codeguru
    Me too.
    NickAus suggested I try hex holds. Intense. I think these will help me the most.
    Hobo Beard offered bar bell rows. I think I can adapt this to the t-bar rows by increasing the diameter of the grips.

Chalk! Without it I struggle with 405 for more than a rep. With it I pulled 470 today and grip was never close to being an issue.
    “As to the methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

chalk + working deadlifts.

dont underestimate your grip just yet though. if you keep working your deadlift, your grip strength will go up. when i was working my way around 225 for 6 reps (with gloves), my grip was failing and i was thinking the same thing. then shortly after, i was hitting 265, then my grip started failing again around 290, and i thought the same thing again. now im doing 315+ with no gloves, sometimes using chalk, and my grip is starting to hit that point again, but i know it will beast through it as its done before.

moral of the story: just keep working it and your grip strength will increase, just as it does with any other muscle does with any other exercise. i think of deadlifting (partially) as a grip exercise.

im a fan of using the over-under grip. just mix up which hands are over/under every set.
    Last edited by soclydeza; 01-24-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

Wannabebig Member
    Chalk, chalk, and chalk. Chalk works more wonders more than you think. I always use chalk, and if you aren't used to deadlifting a lot, your hands will burn and hurt, but deal with it because in about a month, you won't have that pain anymore because you will build up calluses on your hands.

Also, when you start pulling a lot more weight, like a 1RM, you may choose to use straps and they help a lot, at least they helped me when I got my 405x1 and I don't look back.

*NOTE:* Also, this has nothing to do with grip, but when you start pulling a lot of weight (2-3x your bw), make sure you wear a belt!!

Banned
    • Use chalk on every set
    • Try to use Double overhand grip for as many sets as possible. When you can no longer hold on to the bar this way, switch to mixed grip (also called over/under)

Follow these steps and you will build some pretty good grip strength in addition to your deadlift.

Dont do straps yet unless you absolutely know you aren't going to compete. Otherwise, you are going to hate yourself for using them.

Banned
    Damn, I need to get me some chalk. My gym doesn't allow it though, so im gonna have to go with the liquid stuff.

What do you guys think about using spray anti--perspirent?

Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post

im a fan of using the over-under grip. just mix up which hands are over/under every set.
    I was able to DL a lot more almost immediately by going to a mixed grip. It's because the bar isn't trying to roll out of your hands. They offset each other when your hands are switched up.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Banned
    Warm up sets, always do double overhand. Working sets, if can complete set with double overhand use it, if not, use mixed. If you constantly try double overhand every time you hit deadlifts, your grip is forced to get better. Any heavy rowing or heavy pullup movement will help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Damn, I need to get me some chalk. My gym doesn't allow it though, so im gonna have to go with the liquid stuff.

What do you guys think about using spray anti--perspirent?
    My gym doesn't like me using chalk either - but ***** 'em! I pay to lift weights and without the chalk I wouldn't be lifting the weights as well, ergo I'm paying for the right to use my chalk too!

Well, that's my opinion.

Wannabebig Member
    Use your own grip with chalk. Squeeze the bar right before pulling it off the floor. Semi-relax your grip when the bar is on the floor between reps, but DO NOT let go and re-grip. Don't let the warm ups take away from the important work set(s).

The subject of chalk came up about half a year ago, and I was reading that you can buy little bags of it at sporting goods stores. Like the kind that you toss in your hand and the chalk comes through the fabric. Stored in your gym bag in a zip lock baggie.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Thanks for the tips, maybe I'll try the double overhand stuff for a few sets at a time and see if that helps. I'm most likely never going to compete but at the same time I like doing stuff the hardest possible way to cover all my bases. The worst thing for me is the skin that gets pinched right below the base of each of my fingers, I can't stand that. I know they would eventually callus up, but that looks and feels ugly. I'll just keep it up until things give in to my will!...

Codeguru

Thanks for the tips, maybe I'll try the double overhand stuff for a few sets at a time and see if that helps. I'm most likely never going to compete but at the same time I like doing stuff the hardest possible way to cover all my bases. The worst thing for me is the skin that gets pinched right below the base of each of my fingers, I can't stand that. I know they would eventually callus up, but that looks and feels ugly. I'll just keep it up until things give in to my will!...

Codeguru
    Aye mate, I'm all callused just as the base of the fingers.

People shake hands with me and come away bleeding, haha!

this is a good resource:

http://www.gripboard.com/

Dr. Subtotal
    Any type of thick bar (2" diameter) work. Pullups/chinups no straps. high rep DB rows. static holds. grippers. static hangs. rice digs. sledgehammer levering. using a hook grip or double overhand grip for warmups. hex holds. plate pinches. etc....

Pick one and do it every workout.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    Any type of thick bar (2" diameter) work. Pullups/chinups no straps. high rep DB rows. static holds. grippers. static hangs. rice digs. sledgehammer levering. using a hook grip or double overhand grip for warmups. hex holds. plate pinches. etc....

Pick one and do it every workout.
    That may be a problem. The bar I use is just a standard 15lbs bar that is exactly 1 1/8 inches in diameter. Oh well, I'll just make due...

Codeguru

Wannabebig Member
    That may be a problem. The bar I use is just a standard 15lbs bar that is exactly 1 1/8 inches in diameter. Oh well, I'll just make due...

Codeguru
    You could try Fat Gripz if you want a thicker bar http://www.fatgripz.com/