Thread: Just done my first week of SS

Banned

Just done my first week of SS

Last edited by Blaine Masters; 03-27-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Masters View Post
    So yesterday saw my 3rd workout for SS. My first session was pretty soft, considering it was my first session, i started off with light weights and it wasn't really to much of a workout. My 2nd workout was fairly soft for the same reason. My 3rd workout was a little more intense as i was squatting, benching and dead-lifting more than before. I've been drinking maybe half a gallon of milk a day combined with plenty of fruit. Now my next workout will be Monday, which means over the next few days, I'm going to stuff myself and hope to see some improvement.

But my actual question is, is it common to see no gains in terms of weight in the first week? I don't think I've even put a single pound on, but I'm guessing that's down to lack of work due to the fact it's my first week. Next week, the weight will go up hence harder workouts, combined with the fact my form will probably improve.

Thoughts?
    How much are you eating, and is it enough? I'd recommend that you start using something like http://fitday.com to track your food. I'm assuming by "no gains in terms of weight in the first week", you're talking about bodyweight.

Besides, it's only been a week, concentrate on eating enough, training hard and recovering and with time you'll make gains.
    'Wir wollen frei sein, wie die Väter waren, eher den Tod, als in der Knechtschaft leben."
    "We shall be free, just as our fathers were, and rather die, than live in slavery."

Banned
    Last edited by Blaine Masters; 03-27-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Well i'm eating whenever i feel hungry. I'll pick at fruit ever now and then even when i'm stuffed, just to top up. As i said, i'm drinking plenty of milk.
    It doesn't sound like you have an idea how much or little you're eating in terms of grams of protein/fat/carbs and how many calories. What is your definition of "plenty" of milk?
    'Wir wollen frei sein, wie die Väter waren, eher den Tod, als in der Knechtschaft leben."
    "We shall be free, just as our fathers were, and rather die, than live in slavery."

If you are eating only when you feel hungry, you probably aren't eating enough. You have to eat on schedule whether you feel hungry or not. If you are a naturally skinny guy, then eating when hungry will keep you a skinny guy. Keep eating more until you are seeing at least some weight gain. You aren't going to gain a ton of weight overnight, but you should start slowly moving in the right direction.

Banned
    What do you mean on a schedual? I'm drinking at least 3 litres of milk a day, which is pretty much a UK gallon. I am eating when i'm hungry aswell, as i said, to top up and to make sure i'm completely stuffed for when i leave the house.

You still need to at least get a ballpark figure of how much you are eating. Probably not as much as you think, and without tracking calories you will not be able to track trends with weight gain and total daily caloric intake. Gains are not going to come overnight, as other members have suggested.

What is your starting height, weight, and age? If I eat only when I am hungry I get fat. When skinny guys eat only when they get hungry they stay skinny. And not only do we not know what body type you are, we have zero idea how much you are actually (in terms of daily caloric intake) eating. Use fitday.com for a week to track your food and you'll be in better position to know what to do and for others to give you suggestions.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 02-05-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Ya, remember that it's not the workouts that make you gain weight, it's the food. The workouts just tell the body to gain muscle instead of only fat.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Last edited by Blaine Masters; 03-27-2011 at 01:04 PM.

It will vary from person to person. The best way is to track your calories and keep watch on the scale. If you are gaining a little weight every week, thats good. If you are maintaining or losing weight every week, then up the calories. If you are gaining too fast, then reduce the calories slightly. Make the calories count by eating mostly "good" nutrient rich foods, but don't feel bad to splurge on some junk once in a while.

That's about as complex as I care to get with bulking, or dieting for that matter.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Last edited by Blaine Masters; 03-27-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Ok thanks guys. I'm 5"10 and 140 pounds, so fairly skinny. How many calories should i be taking in and how much protein and carbs?
    According to Rip, you should be eating 3 good meals a day and be drinking a gallon of milk a day at this weight. He suggests 4-6,000 Calories for someone wanting rapid weight gains. Of course, it will vary.

As he often says, at 5'10, and 140 lbs if you havent gained at least 10 lbs in the first couple weeks, YNDTP (youre not doing the program). I've also seen him say you should be at least 40 lbs heavier to be considered a lifter at your height.

As far as my own advice goes, if you do the milk route, I'd start up slowly to limit fat gains.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

But my actual question is, is it common to see no gains in terms of weight in the first week?

Going back to your original question, I think it'll take you another week before your body figures what you're doing.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis