The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Home gym

Wannabebig New Member

Home gym

I am building a home gym. So far I have a boxing stand (heavybag/double end bag), and pullup bar, dip bar. I have a bunch of old rusty weights that are weighing down the boxing stand so it doesn't move. I think I just need some dumbbells to complete my gym. I am looking at the Weider PowerSwitch dumbbells, they dial up to 50lbs. Think 50lb dumbbells are enough for most exercises? Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well rusty weights are still heavy, so you've got that going for you....

I'd layoff the dumbells, but let me ask you, "What are your goals? Where are you at now in terms of lifting experience, and current lifts in the dead lift, squat, and bench press?"

Assuming you "WannaGetBig" which is the whole point of this site, you need to think about getting the following equipment (leave the dumbells for the tiny guys who focus on their arms instead of their backs, legs, and chest) :
    1. a flat bench
    2. a power rack
    3. an olympic bar
    4. an olympic weight set ~ (maybe 300lbs for starters) perhaps you can use your existing rusty weights.

This set up will get you going on the big 3 (bench, squat, dead lift), and with proper diet, there's not much more equipment you need. Read up on the "Starting Strength Routine" (search the site, and the sticky will pop up), and you'll see that it's really no more complicated than this.

Since you're new, you might also read some of the stickies, and you'll get a feel for what the site is about:
    Last edited by Iplan; 02-02-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Think 50lb dumbbells are enough for most exercises?
    No.

Buy the things that Iplan suggested if possible.

How much are you willing to spend?

Banned
    Well, what are you hoping to accomplish with weight training. The 50lb dbs would be a poor investment IMO.

Training at home comes down to identifying your goals, and then making a cost/benefit analysis to determine what equipment is worth purchasing, OR if its just better to join a gym.....

A specific goal would help... Maybe a height/weight BF% goal, or a performance goal. ?????

Also, what is your budget???

Answer these questions and we can give you the best possible suggestions.

Scour craigslist for weight benches and weight sets. I scored a flat bench, incline/decline bench attached to bench stands, a power rack, 580 lbs of weights, 2 olympic bars, some resistance bands, and log press for just under 350 total. There are tons of people, especially around this time of year who buy stuff for their "new years resolution" who soon find it's going to take more than a few months to get in to shape, end up throwing stuff out for cheap. For anyone wanting to set up a home gym, craigslist is a Godsend. I also found my 650lb tire on CL, traded for an atlas stone, and made a workout partner all in the mix.

If you plan on staying on task, and using the gym regularly, home gym is the way to go. I spent 3 years in a commercial gym and wanted to kill 95% of the people in it. The only good thing about commercial gyms, in my opinion, are the MILFS and cardio bunnies that populate the place late at night, especially the 24 hr fitness that had a steam room/pool, oh dear lord, that's the only thing I miss about the commercial gym. Make the commitment, set up a plan, save some if you have to, get it done. Commit to it, the skies the limit compadre.

BTW, welcome to the show.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by shawn5 View Post
    Building home jim is a nice idea,..
    Complete gym for home use
    Bench press, Lat pull down,(Front & back),Leg extension, Back leg curls, Up right rows, Crunches, Butterfly Bench press & Shoulders press,...

thanks,.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...nd-Terminology
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I swear we have this question asked in some manner or another every other week...
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Sounds like we might need to add a sticky...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    do it im still looking for what eles I should add to mine, but im fine for now squat rack, flat bench, changable dumbells, and power tower for pull ups and dips. Also bowflex for lat pull downs, and other movments.
    Bench Press 245x1
    Back Squat 225x3 (ATG)
    Dead lift 275x1
    Clean 185x2

Wannabebig New Member
    Sorry guys, didn't mean for this to turn into a "what should I put in my home gym" thread. Good suggestions though, thanks. I just needed some advice in figuring out if 50lbs would be enough, and I now agree, it is not. I used to play competitive sports but now I'm consumed with work and life, so I no longer compete. It is hard for me to train without the goal of competition. I used to perform a lot of exercises with lighter weights where I would accelerate quickly through the concentric phase as soon as the eccentric phase was finished (think plyometrics with weights/Compensatory Acceleration Training). I was always about building speed/power, not so much mass. I have been getting by on boxing a few rounds, doing pullups and pushups....but getting a little bored and want to build strength, hence the question about dumbbells. I don't have room for big equipment, so dumbbells seem the best way to go. As for legs, I can either pay a gym for access twice a month to squat, or stick with my plyometric russian lunges with dumbbells which blast my legs.
    Last edited by WBBgk; 02-03-2011 at 07:16 PM.

I Second!
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

I second the Craigslist suggestion, and keep an eye on nearby Craigslists that you would consider driving to for the perfect deal. I recently got a 300lb olympic weight set, bench and half-rack for $75.

Also recommend against the 5-50lb weight dumbbells. I inherited a pair from my brother when he passed and although I am weak in some of my arm lifts and can still benefit from them I hate the design and feel. I much rather prefer an Olympic dumbbell with weights.

-philip

Wannabebig New Member
    I'm trying to find some hex dumbbells for a deal on craigslist. Seems like the best way to go for dumbbells, thanks guys.

You could do a whole lot with just an Olympic barbell and 300+ lbs of weight.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    You could do a whole lot with just an Olympic barbell and 300+ lbs of weight.
    This would be my choice if I were limited on funds and wanted to get anything accomplished. DBS are a luxury, but not needed and expensive.

Also you can get some elitefts short bands cheap and add a lot of tension on deadlifts