The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: When To Deload

When To Deload

In my pursuit for more strength, I've added in a mixture of intensity and volume using a variety of protocols to my 5/3/1 program. That of which aren't really important for this thread... However to make a long description short, I've added in sets of heavy singles and other sets of high volume reps.

Now after doing this for about a month, the initial quick gains that I saw slowed down, and as I kept adding or modifying things, my body quickly began to develop some pains and my motivation has dropped...

To name a few... My wrist has begun to be sore, I'm experiencing random back tightness, weakness and slight pain. Where I was usually super hype to go train, now I have a lack of drive and focus. In short, my work out quality has begun to suffer.

Is this over training? Maybe. All I know is that it is deload time! Luckily, my scheduled deload is next week and I will report back with how the deload has improved or affected my training quality and pains.

Moral to this story: If you are starting to get soreness, pain, injuries or are experiencing a lack of focus, maybe it is time for a deload and then ramp back up!

You can't go balls to the wall every training session for weeks on end, or you will lose your focus or get injured!
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 02-03-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Not always a full deload even, but a reload. Just go back a few weeks and build back up. Two steps forward, one step back approach.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I like to reduce intensity. volume, or both ... every 4 to 12 weeks.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    I prefer to completely take a week off when I deload. I always set PRs the very week I come back when I do this. Plus it allows you to spend your time on something else you may have not done in a while due to training. I usually need it every 8 weeks or so.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 02-03-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I like to reduce intensity. volume, or both ... every 4 to 12 weeks.
    Do you do this by feel, performance, pain, or do you map it out in advance?

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    I prefer to completely take a week off when I deload. I always set PRs the very week I come back when I do this. Plus it allows you to spend your time on something else you may have not done in a while due to training. I usually need it every 8 weeks or so.
    Not a bad way to do it. Especially if it is working that well for you! Gym time for me is almost a moment of solace... Since moving in with the GF, any moment where I can be alone with my thoughts and move some weight is very welcomed.
    My 10 week cut results

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    Do you do this by feel, performance, pain, or do you map it out in advance?.
    Depends on the routine...5/3/1 has them scheduled every 4 weeks, but sometimes if I'm feeling really good I'll go for 6 weeks. Currently I'm doing something more basic, so I will go by feel or take a deload at 12 weeks if I make it that far.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    Not a bad way to do it. Especially if it is working that well for you! Gym time for me is almost a moment of solace... Since moving in with the GF, any moment where I can be alone with my thoughts and move some weight is very welcomed.
    Funny about the GF thing. Do you guys have an apartment or house? I workout with my wife too, so the only thing that gives us space is the 2 story house we bought last year. If we were still in my 1 BR apartment I think I'd lose my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Funny about the GF thing. Do you guys have an apartment or house? I workout with my wife too, so the only thing that gives us space is the 2 story house we bought last year. If we were still in my 1 BR apartment I think I'd lose my mind!
    We are in a 2 story town home, I have my own room and work space. However, since we both work from home most of the day, finding some alone time is important.

In other news... I hit a new PR (195 power clean x 3 singles) today but I am still feeling sore and unmotivated. Hopefully this coming deload week will fix things!
    My 10 week cut results

Hmmm, I probably need to deload, but I never do. I pretty much never systematically take it easy.

I think the key to this is to start recognizing the signs and symptoms that happen just before you start to feel really run down and take your "deload" then. If you find this happens on a regular schedule (for example, every 5 weeks), then take a "deload" just before you reach the "breaking point". If it happens on a more sporadic basis, then you really have to be in-tune with your body. Also remember that taking a "medium" week here and there may prolong the time period before your need a full-blown deload.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Hmmm, I probably need to deload, but I never do. I pretty much never systematically take it easy.
    But you switch things often. Isn't that supposed to less taxing on the CNS, or at least keep it fresher?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    But you switch things often. Isn't that supposed to less taxing on the CNS, or at least keep it fresher?
    Correct.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I have never really utilized the "deload" concept in my training, instead I would train until I hit a plateau or felt beat up and then take a few days or a week off. Scheduled "deload" weeks can work well if you are following a very intense training program that calls for a lot of heavy lifting, although I still would listen to your body and sometimes maybe push things for an extra week or "deload" a week early.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Much like Chris, I don't "deload". My training is instinctual so it just ends up if I don't feel ready to train I don't. And if I don't feel capable of training at 100% intensity, I don't.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54