Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Stance

Squat Stance

I've recently added in some squatting sets to my workout, and people keep telling me different things about the foot stance. When I get down to parallel height, it feels natural to keep a 35-45 degree outward slant with my feet. But some people are saying that can hurt my knees that way and I should be keeping them as straight as I possibly can. And others are saying whatever feels right when you are down to parallel level is what I should use to avoid injury. So, which is the correct form?...

Codeguru

I'm only a noob, but most people I've heard say angled slightly outward is better for the knees.

I'm not an expert on this either, and what I'm going to say contradicts Gazzy. My P.T. said keep the toes forward.
    Toes slightly out feels more natural to me, though.

So how's that for muddying the water?
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

35-45 degrees is pretty excessive. 10-15 should be adequate.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I find it easier to "spread the floor" with some good foot angle.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I get a better drive out of the pit if I have them angled out but I can rep more angled forward with less quad ache as well.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Banned
    it really depends on how wide your stance is. for me, the wider the stance, the more i want to angle my feet. close stance, my feet are parallel

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    it really depends on how wide your stance is. for me, the wider the stance, the more i want to angle my feet. close stance, my feet are parallel
    Exactly. Your knees should track over your toes, so the wider your stance the greater you will have to angle your feet.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Exactly. Your knees should track over your toes, so the wider your stance the greater you will have to angle your feet.
    I guess that makes sense, so it's always keeping your toes forward even if the feet are angled because of the stance and the direction the front of your leg is pointing. I'll now have peace of mind knowing the form I use won't be killing me, heh, thanks for the info...

Codeguru

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    This was what i wanted to say, but couldnt find the right words.

You will have to try out some angling to see what feels the best, keeping the above in mind.

Wannabebig Member
    Like was said before, the key is for your knees to track out over your toes. There is some latitude there for your stance, but feet parallel forward is probably not it (if I point both my feet going forward and squat down, me knees start to come together). Pointing your feet outwards helps open your hips and aid in depth but if you go too far out my personal experience is it puts too much stress on your hips and can lead to hip pain.

For most people I imagine somewhere in they neighborhood of 15-20 degrees works. I was doing 30+ degress for a while and started to develop hip pain, as soon as I readjusted my feet to about 15 degrees it stopped.

Wannabebig Member
    I find that I get better depth and form with a wider stance (and my knees track over my toes better). I've been told closer is "better", but this works for me and "feels" safer, aka I can keep my back straighter and more upright, while still getting good depth. For what it's worth, I am tall, with most of my height in my legs, and have flexibility issues.

On a related note, given the above, is there a too wide? I'd say my stance is between 20-30 degrees off of straight forward.

Aside from the form discussion, I can really tell how much squats are helping. Such little effort for so much strength and muscle control down there. Definitely going to keep them in my workout...

Codeguru

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    ^^ I completely agree with this!

And when I squat if I keep feet too straight I also end up losing control of my knees inwards! More angle when squatting wide helps me to keep knees moving over my toes
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

My Journal

Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

I teach my clients this general set up...

Heels slightly wider than hips. If 12oclock is shooting out of your belly button, you want your left foot toes pointed between 10-11 and your right foot at 1-2. Seems to work for most people.

I think I remember reading that if you keep your feet more pointed forward, you can use more of a stretch reflex off your connective tissue. Would be good for powerlifting max numbers, bad for joints on the long term. I could be mistaken on this.

As far as knee safety is concerned, you want your knees tracking in the same direction as your toes... KNEES OUT is almost always the best que for everyone, as knees in can cause some injuries.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Powerlifter
    Feet should point in the same direction as your patella.

Just wanted to bump this thread for more opinions. I have had a torn ACL in both knees the past 2 years, and I feel very comfortable with a very wide stance and feet slanted outward. Pointing my feet forward feels unnatural, makes it harder, and usually makes me off balance. So, which is better and WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post
    Just wanted to bump this thread for more opinions. I have had a torn ACL in both knees the past 2 years, and I feel very comfortable with a very wide stance and feet slanted outward. Pointing my feet forward feels unnatural, makes it harder, and usually makes me off balance. So, which is better and WHY?
    Don't try and force your toes to point forward. As long as your knees track over your toes and aren't collapsing inward you are fine. It's all really about lower leg alignment and not having any bowing at the knees. If your knees are collapsing inward it puts more stress on your MCL and possibly ACL. Keeping the knees in line with the feet minimizes sheer forces on the knees and doesn't put your knee ligaments in a vulnerable position.
    If you want a more in-depth critique I would recommend getting video of some moderately heavy squats with a clear view of your lower body and we can give you more specific feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Don't try and force your toes to point forward. As long as your knees track over your toes and aren't collapsing inward you are fine. It's all really about lower leg alignment and not having any bowing at the knees. If your knees are collapsing inward it puts more stress on your MCL and possibly ACL. Keeping the knees in line with the feet minimizes sheer forces on the knees and doesn't put your knee ligaments in a vulnerable position.
    If you want a more in-depth critique I would recommend getting video of some moderately heavy squats with a clear view of your lower body and we can give you more specific feedback.
    Thanks....especially in my case, I can't risk putting too much stress on my ACL and MCL.

If you're primarily interested in knee alignment, video a SQ from the front and I could critque further. Really focus on pushing your knees out throughout the movement. Assuming your ACL repair is fully healed and rehabbed you should be fine as long as your knees aren't coming in.

i would use a box
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I've been doing them for more than a month now and it looks like keeping at around 15 degrees is working. No leg pain at all that I can tell. The worst problem I have is trying to push up using my calf muscles sometimes. I serously don't see how some people have such an easy time with squats, going past 300lbs with ease, and not have any progress with bench at all. Doing the squats just 205lbs at 8 reps is wearing me the hell out, making me breathe harder than running up hill used to when cardio made me breathe hard...

Codeguru

Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
    I've been doing them for more than a month now and it looks like keeping at around 15 degrees is working. No leg pain at all that I can tell. The worst problem I have is trying to push up using my calf muscles sometimes. I serously don't see how some people have such an easy time with squats, going past 300lbs with ease, and not have any progress with bench at all. Doing the squats just 205lbs at 8 reps is wearing me the hell out, making me breathe harder than running up hill used to when cardio made me breathe hard...

Codeguru
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post

Codeguru
    Sounds like you're on your toes. Work on form and learning to sit back. As I said before, I would use a box.
    Last edited by Cards; 03-12-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    Sounds like you're on your toes. Work on form and learning to sit back. As I said before, I would use a box.
    Is the point of a box to find something that can support the weight just incase and is close to your parallel form height so you can gauge it better or what?...

Codeguru