The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Not Training Week Before Meet

In my deadlift help thread, I just realized I'm going to have to not train the week before the meet.

Normally, 3 days is my max of not lifting before being around other people is REALLY hard.

I don't know if I can handle 4-7 days of not lifting. Well, if I didn't have to be around ****ing idiots like I am all day @school, work and out-and-about, I think it would be manageable.

****, driving is going to be the worse.

How do you guys handle not training the week before a meet?
    My monkey arms will not stop me from benching 500#!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well, I'm usually so beat up by meet time I'm ready for a break.

You can always go to the gym at the normal times and hit up some prehab/rehab and stretching etc. That's what I usually do.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    Well, I'm usually so beat up by meet time I'm ready for a break.

You can always go to the gym at the normal times and hit up some prehab/rehab and stretching etc. That's what I usually do.
    Good idea, bro!

What do you do? Band work?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Beard View Post
    Good idea, bro!

What do you do? Band work?
    I do my normal dynamic warmup, my back rehab exercises, foam roll and stretch really well. That's it.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

I sit on my ass and take it easy, let your body recover. I actually try not to even think about the contest.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I'm with Adam on this....

I still go to the gym, I do some stretching, but nothing I normally wouldn't do.

And I still lift, just MUCH LIGHTER....

I was on a schedule last season where I squatted light on Wed, then heavier or with more gear on Sat..... so on Wed before a meet I'd still go, take my warm up with the bar, get in to the briefs and take a plate or two then shut it down...... pulled a few deadlifts with a plate..... benched a plate....

The idea is to stay mobile, flush the muscles with blood, but not tear yourself up.

Kinda the same idea with food..... I've seen a lot of guys panic at a meet because they hears so-and-so eats something before a meet.... so they try it and just end up having diarrhea the morning of the meet...... Know how your body handles certain foods and plan for that. I had a whole conversation with the late Rick Hussey at breakfast before Best of the Best in the Midwest, last year, about this..... his words were that a good meet is a two-pooper.... as in you wake up, poop, eat breakfast, then poop again.... then it'll be a good meet.... it's all about knowing how your body responds and not messing up a whole 4 months of training because you crapped in your squat suit because you thought a dozen hot pockets would get you a good bloat.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    I sit on my ass and take it easy, let your body recover. I actually try not to even think about the contest.
    I would do just this if I could.

I don't smoke weed or drink and I have a HARD time relaxing, so I think I would go stir-crazy.

I'm the type of guy who gets real anxious and obsesses about the meet and then explodes at the the meet when I lift.

I'm a COMPLETE attention whore, so I'm 100% psyched when I lift and I'm actually stronger @meets.

Thanks for the suggestion though, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    I do my normal dynamic warmup, my back rehab exercises, foam roll and stretch really well. That's it.
    Alright. I'll do something along these lines.

Thanks, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    I'm with Adam on this....

I still go to the gym, I do some stretching, but nothing I normally wouldn't do.

And I still lift, just MUCH LIGHTER....

I was on a schedule last season where I squatted light on Wed, then heavier or with more gear on Sat..... so on Wed before a meet I'd still go, take my warm up with the bar, get in to the briefs and take a plate or two then shut it down...... pulled a few deadlifts with a plate..... benched a plate....

The idea is to stay mobile, flush the muscles with blood, but not tear yourself up.

Kinda the same idea with food..... I've seen a lot of guys panic at a meet because they hears so-and-so eats something before a meet.... so they try it and just end up having diarrhea the morning of the meet...... Know how your body handles certain foods and plan for that. I had a whole conversation with the late Rick Hussey at breakfast before Best of the Best in the Midwest, last year, about this..... his words were that a good meet is a two-pooper.... as in you wake up, poop, eat breakfast, then poop again.... then it'll be a good meet.... it's all about knowing how your body responds and not messing up a whole 4 months of training because you crapped in your squat suit because you thought a dozen hot pockets would get you a good bloat.

Good luck
    "Two-popper"--LMAO!

Thanks for the solid advice, bro.

I don't doubt you and Rick Hussey know your ****!

I lift raw, but I think his point about keeping your normal schedule is excellent.

I do nothing 7 days out and cut assistance work at 14 days out. You need rest to compete and do you best.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I do nothing 7 days out and cut assistance work at 14 days out. You need rest to compete and do you best.
    I don't doubt what you say, but I HAVE to train to keep everything together (grad school, work, training, personal life, anger management).

I read your bio on EliteFTS.com and saw you work in corrections as a social worker.

You undoubtedly work with men with similar bio-chemistries as mine--but they just didn't either have come from a loving family, nice suburban area, upper-middle social class or have access to the education I did.

I think driving a lot on the 5 everyday (California drivers are among the worst up there with New York) exacerbates my need to lift heavy/often even more.

I still appreciate the advice and will try to lean down my workouts as much as possible.

Thanks, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Beard View Post
    How do you guys handle not training the week before a meet?
    I haven't competed, but I know exactly what you're talking about when you say you go crazy taking a week off from lifting. Just staying active will go a long way in keeping you sane, though. Doing things like going to the gym, warming up and then stretching can help but walking for 45 minutes or so has always helped me MUCH more than anything else. You should give that a try.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything beyond light lifting, stretching and walking but it all depends on your GPP and work capacity. The more conditioned you are, the more you're going to be able to do and the less time you'll need to take off prior to your meet. Just don't do anything you're not used to that you don't know how you'll recover from.

What meet are you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by pricedtosell View Post
    I haven't competed, but I know exactly what you're talking about when you say you go crazy taking a week off from lifting. Just staying active will go a long way in keeping you sane, though. Doing things like going to the gym, warming up and then stretching can help but walking for 45 minutes or so has always helped me MUCH more than anything else. You should give that a try.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything beyond light lifting, stretching and walking but it all depends on your GPP and work capacity. The more conditioned you are, the more you're going to be able to do and the less time you'll need to take off prior to your meet. Just don't do anything you're not used to that you don't know how you'll recover from.

What meet are you doing?
    ****, you live in San Diego--so you know how people can piss you off driving!

Good idea with the light cardio, bro.

I'm doing the March 26-27th (my division--push/pull-is on the 27th) USPA meet in Rancho Cucamonga.

I don't like competing (I HATE traveling), but after talking a MASSIVE amount of **** to another lifter @my gym, I've committed to come out of my 9 year retirement and get back up on the platform.

You should do the meet, bro.

Steve Denison is a great guy and runs excellent meets.

****, one year I spotted @the annual USPA meet in SD doing so as a volunteer, and then a few weeks later I get a check for $100!

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I'm with these two guys. If I do go to the gym, then it will be nothing but stretching, foam rolling or maybe even pulling the sled.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life