Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: HCT-12 Modification

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5

    HCT-12 Modification

    Hey guys I started day one of the HCT-12 ABA program today, and it sucked, big time.... which means it was good. Only problem is that 5 exercises in one day seems like a lot, especially when working up to a 6 rep max. I didn't even get triceps in today. Instead of using auto-regulation and varying the number of sets I use each day, could I maybe just do 3 sets and the three ending sets of 2 reps consistently for each exercise? This way I can manage time better and incorporate everything instead of just guessing how many sets I want to do for the day. What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Father of Three Bosch232's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    677
    Which movements are you doing?
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

  3. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosch232 View Post
    Which movements are you doing?
    For upper body (today), I do flat bench, pull ups, bent over rows, overhead press, and tricep press down machine. For lower body (Wednesday this week), I'll be doing barbell dead lift, squat, sprinter crunches, calf raises, and bicep curls.

  4. #4
    Strongman Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlkat View Post
    Hey guys I started day one of the HCT-12 ABA program today, and it sucked, big time.... which means it was good. Only problem is that 5 exercises in one day seems like a lot, especially when working up to a 6 rep max. I didn't even get triceps in today. Instead of using auto-regulation and varying the number of sets I use each day, could I maybe just do 3 sets and the three ending sets of 2 reps consistently for each exercise? This way I can manage time better and incorporate everything instead of just guessing how many sets I want to do for the day. What do you guys think?
    If you are having trouble adjusting to the volume and workout duration you could try dropping some of the 'ramping sets' and just do a couple of warm-up's prior to each cluster. This is what I did with the program and it worked well for me.

    For someone who is focused more on hypertrophy I would recommend keeping at least 1-2 relatively high intensity 'ramping sets' - but if you are just looking for a mix of strength/size and short on time then going strait to the clusters can also be effective.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlkat View Post
    Hey guys I started day one of the HCT-12 ABA program today, and it sucked, big time.... which means it was good. Only problem is that 5 exercises in one day seems like a lot, especially when working up to a 6 rep max. I didn't even get triceps in today. Instead of using auto-regulation and varying the number of sets I use each day, could I maybe just do 3 sets and the three ending sets of 2 reps consistently for each exercise? This way I can manage time better and incorporate everything instead of just guessing how many sets I want to do for the day. What do you guys think?
    This is my first week of HCT so take my advice FWIW. If you already have a ballpark of your 6 rep max you don't need that many ramping sets. I did 5-6. The first 2-3 warm up sets than 2-3 work sets + the clusters. You don't need much break between the first few sets. I just take enough time to change the weights. Even the later sets I took lik e1 min than maybe 2 min prior to the max set. The whole workout took me 75 minutes, that is including the warm up (15 min) and 5 min stretching cool down.

  6. #6
    Senior Member GazzyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melton Mowbray, England, UK
    Posts
    3,272
    As you pointed out yourself, it's about autoregulation.

    On a day where you're feeling really tired, you might want to reduce the ramping by sets by a couple, lest you fail on your max.

    Likewise on a day where you're brimming with energy, you might want to add more ramping sets to make the most of it.

    That's the beauty of HCT-12 I've found (on my 38th workout with it today), there's a lot of freedom with it.

  7. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    52
    I too feel that the A-day (upper body) has a lot of exercises, and takes too long to finish (for me). So I cut down on the ramping sets. On some exercises I might only do 2-3 pretty easy warmup sets and straight to the 6+2+2+2. Idk whether it's optimal or not, but it's what I do. I do more sets for both squats and DLs though.
    Last edited by NoMoreFatChix; 02-09-2011 at 07:48 AM.

  8. #8
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    Each exercise will take less warm up sets as you go along. Maybe 3-4 for Bench, then 2-3 for Shoulder Press, then maybe 0-1 for Triceps.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Each exercise will take less warm up sets as you go along. Maybe 3-4 for Bench, then 2-3 for Shoulder Press, then maybe 0-1 for Triceps.
    Yeah exactly...

    By the time I hit triceps, I can immediately jump to my top set because they already got smoked by bench and military. The first exercise should take the most warmups.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreFatChix View Post
    I too feel that the A-day (upper body) has a lot of exercises, and takes too long to finish (for me). So I cut down on the ramping sets. On some exercises I might only do 2-3 pretty easy warmup sets and straight to the 6+2+2+2. Idk whether it's optimal or not, but it's what I do. I do more sets for both squats and DLs though.
    The top set is all that matters, so thats fine.

  11. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5
    Great advice guys. Thanks.

  12. #12
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3
    I do flat bench, pull ups, bent over rows, overhead press, and tricep press down machine.
    Last edited by Off Road; 02-10-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Any suggestions on diet modification?
    By jay24k in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 11:34 AM
  2. BGB modification
    By leveque in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 05:44 PM
  3. Workout Modification
    By Sampson777 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2006, 01:30 AM
  4. Modification On Squats?
    By stallion in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 08:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •