The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Advice Please on routine!

Been lifting for around 1 year, put on around 8-10lbs of lean muscle and reduced about 3-4% bodyfat so far! However recently i have hit a bit of a plateau, strength has decreased ect. Just incase it helps at the moment i 'm aprox 190lb, 5.9, 14-16% BF

So i decided to mix up my program, i 'm no expert what so ever, i composed this based on a 5x5 thinking that a 6x6 would bring better muscle gains (this is primarily what i 'm after) .. Here's what it looks like..

6x6 Incline Bench
    6x6 Bench Press
    3x15 Chest Flye

6x6 Barbell Bent Over Row
    6x6 Lat pulldown
    3x15 lat pulldown

6x6 Back Squat
    6x6 Deadlift
    6x6 Leg Press
    3x15 leg extentions

6xF Dips

6x6 Bar Military Press
    3x15 Machine Lat Raise

6x6 Skull Crushers
    3x15 Tricep pushdowns

6x6 Seated Preacher Curl
    3x15 incline Dumbell

The Idea would be to lift heavy and increase calorie intake! ( i 'm guess around 3,500 cals based on my weight 190lb). However I want to see what you guys think, i 'm not an expert and was worried this maybe a little too much volume? I thought the 5x5 was geared mainly towards strength gains; hence, i decided to add in an extra rep. The rest periods planned around 1.30-2 mins per set.

As mentioned above i 'm looking for muscle gain, your advice will be most helpful and i thank you in advance for all your suggestions, help and experience!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First of all, congratulations on the progress so far.

Now when you say that you've stalled, what do you mean? Are you unable to add weight to your exercises? Have you stopped gaining muscle? or losing fat? Or?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    First of all, congratulations on the progress so far.

Now when you say that you've stalled, what do you mean? Are you unable to add weight to your exercises? Have you stopped gaining muscle? or losing fat? Or?
    Thanks

I 've stopped strength gains and muscle gains.
    I have been lucky to have great increases in my strength since training, going from 60kg - 130kg on bench press in my year of training, however the gains have completely stopped, i have contrentrated on form just in case this was the issue and i still didnt get any noticeable difference in weight. Stuck at around 190 and won't budge! this has been the case for about 3 months now. I assume either my muscle gains were superficial and i was training accidentally for strength and not muscle size, or not with the right intensity. I also find squatting and deadlifting very difficult.. i thought this may also be an issue as my legs are lagging behind. I have tried to work hard on legs again with no gains in the last 3 months.

Thanks for your help, your advice is much appreciated!

My first thought is to reduce the weight you are using on the exercises by about 20%. Then slowly build them back up again while increasing your calories until you see slight gains on the scale every week.It is very hard to gain strength and muscle while trying to reduce body fat, unless you are a beginner, and I think you've used up that window.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

My first thought is to reduce the weight you are using on the exercises by about 20%. Then slowly build them back up again while increasing your calories until you see slight gains on the scale every week.It is very hard to gain strength and muscle while trying to reduce body fat, unless you are a beginner, and I think you've used up that window.
    Ok sure, and what about the programme? Do you think it will be intense enough if i do drop the weights abit??

Quote Originally Posted by JT111 View Post
    Ok sure, and what about the programme? Do you think it will be intense enough if i do drop the weights abit??
    That would defeat the point mate. What OffRoad is suggesting is that you cut the intensity and build it back up again with extra food mate.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

That's the whole point. You want to reduce the intensity for a bit to let your system "catch up."
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

That's the whole point. You want to reduce the intensity for a bit to let your system "catch up."
    Ok awesome, and is the workout too much aswel then??

Thanks again for your suggestions

I think the routine is a little much as far as volume goes, especially for a 5x5 routine. But I'm a little on the conservative side when it comes to volume
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I think the routine is a little much as far as volume goes, especially for a 5x5 routine. But I'm a little on the conservative side when it comes to volume
    Ok sure, so say i up cals and keep weight to 90kg for 6x6 for exmaple this would be okay??
    Sorry to be abit pedantic. Really appreciate your feedback & thanks Kiff too

Try it and see...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    Are these 6x6 ramping sets or straight sets? Because if they are straight sets, you will last about 1 week on the program...may not even get through the week actually.

Also, you don't need crazy volume to gain muscle. The best formula is HIGH intensity and HIGH frequency.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 02-09-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Are these 6x6 ramping sets or straight sets? Because if they are straight sets, you will last about 1 week on the program...may not even get through the week actually.

Also, you don't need crazy volume to gain muscle. The best formula is HIGH intensity and HIGH frequency.
    Was going to have 3 heavy sets then 3 descending. Would you suggest 4 days with less volume then?

Banned
    Was going to have 3 heavy sets then 3 descending. Would you suggest 4 days with less volume then?
    I would suggest doing madcow 5x5 exactly as written. It is high intensity for the last 2 sets of the 5x5, and the frequency is 3 times per week per muscle group...all compounds too, which is what you need in the beginning.

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

It has a spreadsheet where you just plug your maxes in and it calculates the sheet for you. The first 4 weeks are going to fairly easy, but by week 5 you will already be beating your previous 5RM max and every week from there will be a personal record until you stall.

Mon:
    Squat 5x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
    Bench 5x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
    Barbell Row 5x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
    Assistance: 2 sets of weighted hypers and 4 sets of weighted sit-ups

Weds
    Squat 4x5 First 3 sets are the same as Monday, the 4th set is repeating the 3rd set again
    Incline or Military 4x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5
    Deadlift 4x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5
    Assistance: 3 sets of sit-ups

Squat 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
    Bench 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
    Barbell Row 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
    Assistance: 3 sets of weighted dips (5-8 reps), 3 sets of barbell curls and 3 sets of triceps extensions (8 reps)

You can even throw in 1 or 2 sets of military pressing on friday if you are inclining on wednesday, just keep it in the 10+ rep range.

This is an example of a high intensity program with high frequency. You are going to obliterate your muscles on Monday, then recover enough by Friday to obliterate them even further. The trick is that the volume is low enough where you can actually recover. Your 6x6 program will not allow you to recover adequetely workout to workout unless you are on the sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    I would suggest doing madcow 5x5 exactly as written. It is high intensity for the last 2 sets of the 5x5, and the frequency is 3 times per week per muscle group...all compounds too, which is what you need in the beginning.

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

It has a spreadsheet where you just plug your maxes in and it calculates the sheet for you. The first 4 weeks are going to fairly easy, but by week 5 you will already be beating your previous 5RM max and every week from there will be a personal record until you stall.

Mon:
    Squat 5x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
    Bench 5x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
    Barbell Row 5x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
    Assistance: 2 sets of weighted hypers and 4 sets of weighted sit-ups

Weds
    Squat 4x5 First 3 sets are the same as Monday, the 4th set is repeating the 3rd set again
    Incline or Military 4x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5
    Deadlift 4x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5
    Assistance: 3 sets of sit-ups

Squat 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
    Bench 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
    Barbell Row 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
    Assistance: 3 sets of weighted dips (5-8 reps), 3 sets of barbell curls and 3 sets of triceps extensions (8 reps)

You can even throw in 1 or 2 sets of military pressing on friday if you are inclining on wednesday, just keep it in the 10+ rep range.

This is an example of a high intensity program with high frequency. You are going to obliterate your muscles on Monday, then recover enough by Friday to obliterate them even further. The trick is that the volume is low enough where you can actually recover. Your 6x6 program will not allow you to recover adequetely workout to workout unless you are on the sauce.

Awesome! first thanks alot for your time, really informative post!

Looks great but will this lead to good muscle gains with low reps? & also i have lagging shoulders and biceps will there be sufficient stimuli for them to grow?

Thanks again!! really appreciate

Banned
    Awesome! first thanks alot for your time, really informative post!

Looks great but will this lead to good muscle gains with low reps? & also i have lagging shoulders and biceps will there be sufficient stimuli for them to grow?

Thanks again!! really appreciate
    No problem man. If you decide to do it, post up in 6 or 8 weeks with your progress.

House Lannister
    +1 to madcow 5x5. Put about 90-100 pounds on my squat in three months (200x5-300x3), 35 lbs on my bench, and 40 or so lbs on my deadlift. Set me up for future success on my current program too, and I probably could've stuck with 5x5 for a while longer.

Do it.

Thanks alot for the advice guys! do you think i should add in a little cardio with the program? was thinking 10 minutes cardio

Soilwork addict.
    As far as you are concerned, strength = size.

If you are getting stronger, you are getting bigger all things equal.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.