The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Crossfit training

I've been thinking about doing crossfit training but im not sure what the purpose of the entire workout is. Anyone want to explain what it is and your opinions on it. Thanks!
    Ht 5 "6"
    Wt 140
    Age 18

Goals:
    Deadlift (current 335) Goal 400 by April 18
    Squat (current 150) Goal 250 by April 18
    Bench (current 225) Goal 275 by April 18

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Soilwork addict.
    Its proposed purpose is metabolic conditioning, aka, metcon.

It works, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. Its a form of gpp. Dont get caught up in the hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by aregd202 View Post
    I've been thinking about doing crossfit training but im not sure what the purpose of the entire workout is. Anyone want to explain what it is and your opinions on it. Thanks!

What is your overall training goal?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

It's a bunch of morons who put together a bunch of workouts everyday, call in the workout of the day and tell you to do it as fast as possible.

There is no peridization, no structure, no anything. A weekend class earns one the right to call themselves "certified" start a gym out of their garage and charge dumb ppl money to have them do deadlifts with terrible form and throw a ball off a wall for 200 reps..

Don't do it.
    Last edited by Yamar; 02-10-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Banned
    Crossfit to me are a bunch of elitist pricks. $150/month for a gym membership in which you only train their way and on their time? No thanks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    Its proposed purpose is metabolic conditioning, aka, metcon.

It works, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. Its a form of gpp. Dont get caught up in the hype.
    Not only this, but there are much better and safer methods to achieve the same results and much more. I'd be willing to bet just doing some max effort training with EDT for "metcon" would get people more "fit" and would have much more adaptability and safety.

As Chris asked though; a more specific goal would help with giving better advice.
    Last edited by Dan Fanelli; 02-10-2011 at 10:17 PM.

I personally dont like it but I know some guys who do it and I have to admit they are fit!

No idea what the goal is other than CF games and/or getting in "good shape" but the top guys do train very hard, I have seen it myself.

I do agree with them acting elite though, like they know something the rest of us dont ha ha.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aregd202 View Post
    CrossFit is basically a conditioning/endurance program.

If you are looking to gain size or strength then I would look at other options, but if you are just looking to improve your general level of fitness then CrossFit could work well.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Gonna have to agree with everyone.

Its good for conditioning, and pehaps a bit of strength if you don't lift otherwise.

But its way too random in my opinion. This could be a good thing for the right person, but not for a strength athlete.

Some of their "girls" workouts are interesting. I use them for conditioning from time to time. They'll hand your own ass to you.
    Without progression, I am nothing.

Garage Lifter
    If you are set on Crossfit I'd avoid the main page WODs like the plague. Google Crossfit Football and check out that one. There is some logic to that programming and it includes a strength component.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Moved to appropriate forum.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I have done it,,not in a actual CF gym, just on my own.. It is a good conditioning tool,I do prefer CF football tho....if your looking for an even more extreme version check out sealfit....

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    I do agree with them acting elite though, like they know something the rest of us dont ha ha.
    Yet CF produces not a single Elite athlete. You simply can't mix "that many" modes of exercise in an unstructured fasion and expect to specialize in anything.

Lyle Mcdonald put of a video of a strong man contest where all the CF guys got smoked. It was seriously embarrasing.

Wannabebig New Member
    Heres the real deal with CF. It all depends on your gym. Ive been to three now. And i train at UteCrossfit.com under Tommy Hackenbruck and hes a real tremendously strong athlete. When i started CF i couldnt climb a rope with my feet or do more than 5-6 pullups. In 3 months i now can do 20 pullups straight with strict form fairly easy and climb the rope without my feet like a monkey 5-6 times. On Monday Wed and Friday i lift OLY lifts. We dont just do the normal "WOD." Lots of times ive done 8x3 10x1 ect. I love lifting heavy and we do a lot of it. Now, my gym may not be the norm. You have to watch out for those people that open crossfit and dont know very much of anything. GYM JONES uses some Crossfit techniques, Glenn Pendlay uses some of Crossfit, Dan John uses some of Crossfit, ect. You just gotta find a good gym bro. Also, yeah if its $150 a month make sure your getting what you paid for. I remember i paid 700 bucks for a trainer for one month at 24 hr fitness and i get just as much attention at my classes i go to. In my experience also if a CF gym is just following the website and not doing a lot of there own stuff its cuz they dont know what else to do. Look for gyms that have athletes or CSCS ect. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamar View Post

Lyle Mcdonald put of a video of a strong man contest where all the CF guys got smoked. It was seriously embarrasing.
    Lyle McDonald is a shining example of strength...

People use the main site as a point of reference anytime crossfit is brought up. At this point, there are quite literally thousands of affiliates providing their own programming. For you new members, look through the old posts from Anthony. He was one of the most well respected members from back in the day. He currently owns and operates Crossfit Fredericton.

Crossfit Wilmington has a handful of ~200lbs guys pulling in the low 5s (many more lighter individuals in the high 4s), C&Js in the high 2s to low 3s, full snatches in the ~230lbs range etc etc. These are all guys with metabolic conditioning on par with your fighters and grapplers. Are any of these guys going to go up against a sport specific individual and come out on top? Most likely not, but that isn't what these guys are training for. The days of skinny fat CFers being the prime example of the community are over, at least in this neck of the woods.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.