The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

6 week competition cycle, thoughts?

Hi Guys. I'm a long-time reader but just recently decided to ask a Q.

I've got a PL meet coming up and will only have 6 weeks to prepare for it. My plan was to re-test my 1RMs then start with the cycle. I based it off of two factors 1)I'm really new to competing, this will be my first meet, so I'm thinking of a linear progression. 2)Using prilepin's table for max strength.

Typically, i was just working on form, so I would do the three big lifts twice a week (with 1-2 assistance exercises), once at 80% (7 x 2) and once at 70% (5 x4). I kept the reps low to focus on set-up.

My current plan would be to continue to do the three lifts twice a week with the light day still at 70% and the heavier day at these %'s Any thoughts, suggestions, tweaks? Thanks in advance!

0 RETEST 1 RMs
    1 @75%, 5 sets of 4 reps. 20 total reps.
    2 @80%, 6 sets of 3 reps. 18 total reps
    3 @85%, 5 sets of 3 reps. 15 total reps
    4 @90%, 3 sets of 2 reps. 6 total reps
    5 @95%, 4 sets of 1 rep. 4 total reps
    6 @70%, 5 sets of 1-2 reps. 5-10 total reps

(edit: sorry, the table looks nice in the text box, but once i submit it gets squished, so I changed the format)
    Last edited by uneakbreed; 02-15-2011 at 07:06 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Dr. Subtotal
    Depending on how new you are to lifting, thats alot of volume before a meet, two days a week. For high volume 6 week cycle, the classic is the Russian peaking cycle. Theres also a 5 week Sheiko competition cycle (but thats meant to be used in conjunction with loading periods). But its good you're curious at setting things up with Prilepin's. But remember, its ultimately a guideline, and not the law.

I'd lower your light day to the 50-65% zone and work the lower end of the rep/set scheme. So 8 x 3 or something like that. Remember not every training session has to be for "max strength." If you look at the classic box squat cycles (decreasing sets of 2 over four weeks, 50-60%), that doesn't fit into Prilepins. But the training effect is speed and the total volume done is high. Same thing with repetition effort and sets of 8+.

Your first 3 weeks are solid loading sets/reps. Keep that. But I'd reduce the volume come weeks 4 and 5. Week 6 is fine, you may want to work up to say a triple at 50, a few triples at 60, and 2 or 3 doubles at 70 then shut it down. In a deload, you typically want to work below the specified rep range or else, you're delaying supercompensation. Since you're not loading for more than 5 weeks, a one week deload will work fine. Also, drop the light day come that week and rest. Maybe do a DL\bench day and a squat/bench 4-5 days out.

For week 4, work a few triples at 80, a double or two 85, then 4-6 reps total 90-95%. Week 5, Low volume and work up to your opener (anywhere from 85-90% raw would be a good suggestion), then shut it down.

These suggestions come from experience with throwing newer lifters into meets a few weeks out. It'll keep you fresh and rested for meet day and you'll have hit enough volume so that your form is spot on. Either way, set something up then follow it. Don't overanalyze and change everything once you've started. Your first meet is always a great learning experience.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    Depending on how new you are to lifting, thats alot of volume before a meet, two days a week. For high volume 6 week cycle, the classic is the Russian peaking cycle. Theres also a 5 week Sheiko competition cycle (but thats meant to be used in conjunction with loading periods). But its good you're curious at setting things up with Prilepin's. But remember, its ultimately a guideline, and not the law.

I'd lower your light day to the 50-65% zone and work the lower end of the rep/set scheme. So 8 x 3 or something like that. Remember not every training session has to be for "max strength." If you look at the classic box squat cycles (decreasing sets of 2 over four weeks, 50-60%), that doesn't fit into Prilepins. But the training effect is speed and the total volume done is high. Same thing with repetition effort and sets of 8+.

Your first 3 weeks are solid loading sets/reps. Keep that. But I'd reduce the volume come weeks 4 and 5. Week 6 is fine, you may want to work up to say a triple at 50, a few triples at 60, and 2 or 3 doubles at 70 then shut it down. In a deload, you typically want to work below the specified rep range or else, you're delaying supercompensation. Since you're not loading for more than 5 weeks, a one week deload will work fine. Also, drop the light day come that week and rest. Maybe do a DL\bench day and a squat/bench 4-5 days out.

For week 4, work a few triples at 80, a double or two 85, then 4-6 reps total 90-95%. Week 5, Low volume and work up to your opener (anywhere from 85-90% raw would be a good suggestion), then shut it down.

These suggestions come from experience with throwing newer lifters into meets a few weeks out. It'll keep you fresh and rested for meet day and you'll have hit enough volume so that your form is spot on. Either way, set something up then follow it. Don't overanalyze and change everything once you've started. Your first meet is always a great learning experience.
    Thanks a lot, B&T! I really appreciate the feedback. I guess i left out some info -I've been lifting for a long time, competed ONCE in an unsanctioned meet in highschool at least 15 years ago (but I don't count that). The fire has recently been lit again and i wanted to give it a try for real in the USAPL. I would be lifting RAW @ 75kg (i'm 171 right now, and am Carb Backloading with good results).

Question though, how is your week 4 different than mine? Are the 4-6 reps in your example singles?

Dr. Subtotal
    It changes by lifter. You have a short loading time. So you essentially overload the first 3 weeks. I'd typically go for the higher end of recommended volume for the first 3 weeks (24 reps 70-79% for instance), assuming you're feeling good and not beat up.

Now, you need to start reducing volume Week 4. So perhaps 2 doubles at 90 and a single at 95%. It goes by feel. If you feel beat up, do the bare minimum 4 reps 90% and above. Ideally you'd be hitting the highest intensity of the six weeks around then, but the volume needs to be low to recover and peak. Longer accumulation cycles will require longer periods of reduced volume. Week 5 you should be hitting your opener with good speed and doing very little else. Maybe GPP work and some high rep, really low intensity recovery work.

This is kind of similar to the RPE thing with the RTS program. 4x6 at 70% may be easy some days, really hard on others. So sometimes, it's best to actively alter the weights as you go.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the advice. i can't wait. i test my sumo next week, my conventional/bench/squat the next, then its on to this program.

i'm also going to a meet in two weeks just to watch n hopefully ask questions to judges and competitors. i don't wanna get bit by inexperience, so trying to understand flights, timing, and everything else is something i hope i can learn before i compete. i'm also going to try to be conservative for my 1st two attempts, starting w/ 90%, then 96%