Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 123

Thread: Why do you even train or go to the gym?

  1. #1
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,232

    Why do you even train or go to the gym?

    This is out of my own curiousity.

    Based on research of many, many people, women do not care if you are buff. Most agree that being in shape is what they want. Some have even gone on to say 6 packs are gross and that having a flattish stomach or the V lines is the best. I'm just throwing this out there before I ask:

    What do you train for? Please be specific:

    1. Health reasons. As in, to live longer, to have an easier life when you're older, to battle diabetes, whatever. You get the idea.

    2. To powerlift. You dont care how fat you are. You simply care about how much weight you can lift a couple times.

    3. To be bigger in general, and stronger in general, but you don't really care if you are ripped. At the same time, you dont want to be fat per-se though either.

    4. To be a cover model. I'm not going to elaborate much on this. You want to be 150 lbs, six pack, and tan.

    5. Bodybuilder. You specifically want to be as big and as lean as humanly possible. If this describes you, you may have spent a lot of time in front of your mirror with your cell phone camera and may also have a collection of muscle mags (hey the thongs are great on the women, i understand)

    If I left any out, plz feel free to add any. like maybe strongman or w/e. Martial arts, etc. Whatever.

    I'm just really curious why people do what they do. I can tell you almost 100% that most people at any gym I've gone to, or anyone I've trained, has fit into the #5 as bodybuilder. Women tended to fall into #4 but as a female version if that makes sense. I rarely see any powerlifters there and I rarely see anyone just wanting to be bigger and stronger. Most of the peoples routines involve this:

    1. Some kind of cable move be it curls, extensions, crunches, pec crossovers, whatever.

    2. A barbell/dumbell curl.

    3. A benchpress

    EDIT: I suppose some people could be a combination. Like a 2 and a 3 etc
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

    Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

    Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,129
    I think its built into our DNA. We were meant to run, jump, swim, hunt, fight, etc. As civilizations have developed and the need for activity decreased, exercise/athletics have been looked at as a way of embracing our physical nature.

    Beyond that, I think more people exercise to attract the opposite sex than we think. They might not admit it, or even know it, but this again is built into our DNA. I dont think the biggest or leanest is necessarily what people find attractive though. Those are just our current views of what "sexy".

    And even further than that, I think a lot of people just like challenging themselves. If you look at other's hobbies/lifestyles, most of them are based around setting out to do something difficult and achieving it.

  3. #3
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    #3. Just to get bigger and stronger. That entails using something closer to a power lifting routine than a bodybuilding routine.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  4. #4
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    I think its built into our DNA. We were meant to run, jump, swim, hunt, fight, etc. As civilizations have developed and the need for activity decreased, exercise/athletics have been looked at as a way of embracing our physical nature.

    Beyond that, I think more people exercise to attract the opposite sex than we think. They might not admit it, or even know it, but this again is built into our DNA. I dont think the biggest or leanest is necessarily what people find attractive though. Those are just our current views of what "sexy".

    And even further than that, I think a lot of people just like challenging themselves. If you look at other's hobbies/lifestyles, most of them are based around setting out to do something difficult and achieving it.

    Yea, some good points. Most women I know make fun of bodybuilders that step on stage and others make just as much of an extremely fat powerlifter or whatever. Some women hate muscles while others like a little bit of chub...as its more "manly"

    I agree that most people end up lifting to get bigger muscles and attract the opposite sex. Also might be why I see them checking themselves out in the mirror as they walk by. Although I don't know if any of them are actually gonna end up on stage in brown paint and a little silk thong.
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 02-15-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

    Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

    Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

  5. #5
    I AM the highlight reel... Owens14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    60
    For myself it's always been about 2 things, 1. Being bigger, having a set of arms and a chest that I'm not scared to show off in a 40 dollar shirt from abercrombie. Being able to walk around and know that people notice my size. It's not so much that I like the superior feeling, it's just a good feeling to know that you've took the time and effort to build something that people admire. 2. I love the feeling of a great gym session. The only 2 feelings on this earth that I can even compare to the flat-out testosterone-fueled high that lifting gives me is being in a fight and playing football in high school. There's nothing like the state of nirvana you hit when lifting, it's like being on fire, that feeling that you can't be touched. In my mind everytime I hit a burn-out set or try for a new pr, I'm the strongest man on earth at the time, the power I'm exerting could move mountains. I'd need John Grisham to properly describe the feeling but if this answers your question, that's why I lift.
    Everyone has a dream, it's those who put an extreme amount of effort, thought, dedication, time, and heart into their dream that no longer have a dream, they have a reality...

    As of 10/2011 @225lbs
    Squat- 405
    Bench- 325
    Deadlift- 440

  6. #6
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    #3. Just to get bigger and stronger. That entails using something closer to a power lifting routine than a bodybuilding routine.
    So you would do something like a 5x5? (I mean in general, I know you like the abbreviated routines) While at the same time, you're not going to compete or get into a squat suit and do hour long sessions at the gym?

    I started training to be "great at the beach" and I hit my goal. I think I looked great but no one said anything unless I asked. Before that, when I had been bulking, I was bigger but also had a higher body fat%. I think I got more compliments then than anything else. So these days I'm training to hit strength goals while not exactly trying to be a powerlifter. I do care about my body fat but not enough to not eat.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

    Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

    Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

  7. #7
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Owens14 View Post
    For myself it's always been about 2 things, 1. Being bigger, having a set of arms and a chest that I'm not scared to show off in a 40 dollar shirt from abercrombie. Being able to walk around and know that people notice my size. It's not so much that I like the superior feeling, it's just a good feeling to know that you've took the time and effort to build something that people admire. 2. I love the feeling of a great gym session. The only 2 feelings on this earth that I can even compare to the flat-out testosterone-fueled high that lifting gives me is being in a fight and playing football in high school. There's nothing like the state of nirvana you hit when lifting, it's like being on fire, that feeling that you can't be touched. In my mind everytime I hit a burn-out set or try for a new pr, I'm the strongest man on earth at the time, the power I'm exerting could move mountains. I'd need John Grisham to properly describe the feeling but if this answers your question, that's why I lift.
    okay, so you want to be bigger, and have a set of arms and chest to show off in a tighter T-shirt? Most people that go for this look carry a higher body fat%. This describes the "bar look" I guess. You dont care about being super lean but you want to look bigger and not exactly fat. Does this decribe what you're saying?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

    Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

    Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

  8. #8
    I AM the highlight reel... Owens14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    okay, so you want to be bigger, and have a set of arms and chest to show off in a tighter T-shirt? Most people that go for this look carry a higher body fat%. This describes the "bar look" I guess. You dont care about being super lean but you want to look bigger and not exactly fat. Does this decribe what you're saying?
    to an extent yes, being more specific I dont feel the need to have a six pack but I definetely execise enough to keep a gut off. If its flat, im fine with it, doesnt have to be ripped, but cant be pooching out either.
    Everyone has a dream, it's those who put an extreme amount of effort, thought, dedication, time, and heart into their dream that no longer have a dream, they have a reality...

    As of 10/2011 @225lbs
    Squat- 405
    Bench- 325
    Deadlift- 440

  9. #9
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Owens14 View Post
    to an extent yes, being more specific I dont feel the need to have a six pack but I definetely execise enough to keep a gut off. If its flat, im fine with it, doesnt have to be ripped, but cant be pooching out either.
    okay, that makes sense.

    Its interesting to see what people are training for and how they go about it.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

    Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

    Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

  10. #10
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,712
    1,2,3
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

  11. #11
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    1,2,3
    You aren't training to be a cover model? Why not??
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

    Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

    Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

  12. #12
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    So you would do something like a 5x5? (I mean in general, I know you like the abbreviated routines) While at the same time, you're not going to compete or get into a squat suit and do hour long sessions at the gym?.
    Exactly. I think you can build a lot of muscle with a simple strength routine.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  13. #13
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Exactly. I think you can build a lot of muscle with a simple strength routine.
    Out of curiousity, what do you think about the Texas Method?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

    Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

    Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

  14. #14
    working on it ct67_72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    meriden ct
    Posts
    139
    the first thing I can remember wanting to be when I was a kid was a body builder, as I got older (and fatter) I was really just interested in being bigger and stronger.
    I started to lift at a powerlifting gym to be around people with similar goals as me and people that could drive me to be better. Being very competative in nature I was immediately attracted to powerlifting. Now I love to compete, and am on a mission to be a ranked lifter and someday set a record so thats what keeps me going
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

  15. #15
    Senior Member kmagnuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Your mom's basement
    Posts
    466
    I train because it's a contest between me and the iron. I love to beat the iron, but I know that days that the iron wins only means I can beat more iron next time.

    Also I want to intimidate boys that want to date my daughter... in 20 years.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580
    some indeterminate balance of #4,#5

  17. #17
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    Training, to me, is the best form of therapy there is. And, I like squatting.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  18. #18
    Soilwork addict.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cocoa Beach, Florida
    Posts
    439
    I have future plans and inspirations for strongman. In the mean time, I enjoy simply being bigger/ stronger than I was.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

    Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

    Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

  19. #19
    Senior Member BoAnderson71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    tacoma/seattle washington
    Posts
    42
    Im a collegiate shotputter currently, once Im done with the shot im planning on getting into strongman and then powerlifting. Then I will be one of those pale old dudes with those slack material shorts wearing a polo going from machine to machine.
    Last edited by BoAnderson71; 02-15-2011 at 07:47 PM.

  20. #20
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    phoenix,az
    Posts
    60
    I do it to keep myself from becoming a burnout. I was lazy, unmotivated, and always felt like ****. One day I picked up the barbell that I never used and just started lifting it. I feel like it brings a lot of drive back into my life. I also see it as a discipline. I think the work and dedication that you put into something is good for the soul.

    I also do it to become strong. Since I was embarrassingly weak before I really enjoy the fact that I'm becoming stronger than the general people around me. I do have aspirations to enter a powerlifting meet if I can get my numbers up accordingly.

    Everyone wants to look better even if it's only in the back of their mind. But looks really isn't my primary concern.

    More than anything else, I think it's just become a hobby.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Raleighwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Raleighwood, NC
    Posts
    759
    To become stronger than you (you = any person).

    To be more useful.

    To be healthier.

    To look better.

    To be more likely to defend myself in a threatening situation (environmental, physical, etc.)

    To live better, longer.

    To chase my full gene expression and capacity.
    My 10 week cut results

    "Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

  22. #22
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2
    The reason i started working out is because i play a lot of sports recreationally, but recently started biking, climbing, ultimate frisbee, basketball last summer and found out i can't compete with a lot of the people out there. I am naturally athletic, but doesn't help me at all when others can outrun me, or out jump me.

    i originally had the BJ Penn thing going on.... lackluster training and relying on my talent to get by.. which didn't work.

    Sooooo i started hitting the gym to be better athletically... kinda got this competitive thing going on.

    Gonna do the same things this summer and hopefully blow some people away.

  23. #23
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by ct67_72 View Post
    the first thing I can remember wanting to be when I was a kid was a body builder, as I got older (and fatter) I was really just interested in being bigger and stronger.
    I started to lift at a powerlifting gym to be around people with similar goals as me and people that could drive me to be better. Being very competative in nature I was immediately attracted to powerlifting. Now I love to compete, and am on a mission to be a ranked lifter and someday set a record so thats what keeps me going
    Do you know what stats you would need to be a ranked lifter? And in what division?

    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I train because it's a contest between me and the iron. I love to beat the iron, but I know that days that the iron wins only means I can beat more iron next time.

    Also I want to intimidate boys that want to date my daughter... in 20 years.
    lol, good answer. Most boys out of HS are only 130 lbs though, so I'm sure you'll be okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    some indeterminate balance of #4,#5
    Nice to hear from a bodybuilder type. Have you stepped on stage at all? Or do you have any plans to?

    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Training, to me, is the best form of therapy there is. And, I like squatting.
    Therapy for what? Is it because of an ex wife or something or do you mean physical theramy?

    I used to hate squatting. Now I love it.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    I have future plans and inspirations for strongman. In the mean time, I enjoy simply being bigger/ stronger than I was.
    Tom could be of great help to you for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by BoAnderson71 View Post
    Im a collegiate shotputter currently, once Im done with the shot im planning on getting into strongman and then powerlifting. Then I will be one of those pale old dudes with those slack material shorts wearing a polo going from machine to machine.
    Do you talor your program around shot then?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhxdB View Post
    I do it to keep myself from becoming a burnout. I was lazy, unmotivated, and always felt like ****. One day I picked up the barbell that I never used and just started lifting it. I feel like it brings a lot of drive back into my life. I also see it as a discipline. I think the work and dedication that you put into something is good for the soul.

    I also do it to become strong. Since I was embarrassingly weak before I really enjoy the fact that I'm becoming stronger than the general people around me. I do have aspirations to enter a powerlifting meet if I can get my numbers up accordingly.

    Everyone wants to look better even if it's only in the back of their mind. But looks really isn't my primary concern.

    More than anything else, I think it's just become a hobby.
    Its a good hobby to have.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    To become stronger than you (you = any person).

    To be more useful.

    To be healthier.

    To look better.

    To be more likely to defend myself in a threatening situation (environmental, physical, etc.)

    To live better, longer.

    To chase my full gene expression and capacity.
    Yea, good reasons. If you ever get attacked by a lion, you might have a better chance.

    I liked the gene expression and capacity. Not many people would choose that as an answer. But its probably one of the better and detailed reasons that encompasses many things.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

    Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

    Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

  24. #24
    Senior Member Jorge Sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,607
    Health and to be stronger and, to a very limited extent, bigger.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 02-15-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

  25. #25
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by slovak View Post
    The reason i started working out is because i play a lot of sports recreationally, but recently started biking, climbing, ultimate frisbee, basketball last summer and found out i can't compete with a lot of the people out there. I am naturally athletic, but doesn't help me at all when others can outrun me, or out jump me.

    i originally had the BJ Penn thing going on.... lackluster training and relying on my talent to get by.. which didn't work.

    Sooooo i started hitting the gym to be better athletically... kinda got this competitive thing going on.

    Gonna do the same things this summer and hopefully blow some people away.
    ah okay, well thats good motivation. it always helps to pit yourself against others i think.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Health and to be stronger and, to a very limited extent, bigger.
    Ah so you dont care much about how you look per-se? you would rather just be strong and have a healthy, longer life?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

    Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

    Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone train in DC?
    By ZenMonkey in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 01:14 PM
  2. Train at home or gym?
    By VanTheMan in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 03:50 PM
  3. is it better to train?
    By AB2004 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 07:38 AM
  4. How can I train legs w/o gym equipment?
    By kathnmarc in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-03-2002, 03:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •