The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Switching from strength and conditioning to pure hypertrophy

How do I do this? I have been doing Wendlers 5/3/1 for 6+ months I did HCT-12 for about a month and a half and now I am ready to move my fitness goals past strength and on to training for hypertrophy.

I know HCT-12 is actually very hypertrophy oriented but it has a lot of flexibility with auto regulation. I am looking for something with strict rules.

I.e. Do this xxx exercise yyy times.

Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How long have you been lifting? Auto regulation in HTC is pretty simple, it tells you how many reps to do of the exercise. It's your job to figure out what weight.

Stick with HTC and learn how to read your body.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Your goals aren't as mutually exclusive as you are making them out to be. Both 5/3/1 and HCT-12 are very good hypertrophy training programs. Just because a program builds strength doesn't mean that it somehow compromises size gains. In general the best way to gain size is to get stronger in the 8-15 rep range (which is where you seem to spend alot of time with a properly set up 5/3/1 program) and do plenty of volume (which you could again do with 5/3/1 with the right assistance template) (of course all this is assuming you are eating enough calories and protein).
    My advice would be to continue 5/3/1 with some very minor tweaks if necessary. Depending on where you are at in the program, reset your training maxes so you are getting ~15 reps on 5's weeks, 10-12 on 3's day, and at least 6 on 5/3/1 day. Then choose the BBB assistance template or simply an assistance template that targets the areas you need work with alot of volume with moderate weights.

A productive routine is much more than a comilation of exercises, sets, and reps. You have to learn how to adjust all the variables like; intensity, volume, conditioning, recovery, nutrition, etc. in order to be successful on ANY routine. Even guys using a "strength" routine like 5/3/1 or Westside are building slabs of muscle. When you figure out why they are able to do that, then you have the tools to make almost any routine work for you.

That's why a basic routine (like HCT-12) works so well for guys just past the beginner stages and up to advanced, fewer variables allow them to learn faster and see the effects that small changes have on everything. There is absolutely no reason to switch routines just so you "feel" like a bodybuilder. Just keep getting stronger, experiment with the variables I listed, and learn how your body responds to training.

If you are absolutely dead-set on switching routines so you can "feel" like a bodybuilder, just pick one that uses a basic schedule and focusses on basic compound exercises and keep working on all the variables that I mentioned before. Just remember that switching routines is the surest way to cut short progress. It's much better to find ways to make your current routine work for you.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!