The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

jake 2.2 - what? he's a powerlifter now?

WTF? When did this happen?

That's right, I've finally jumped train into the PL world.. Enough dieting down to 10%, I'm finally just going to embrace the fat and see how strong I can get..

I've got a full meet scheduled for 8/1/09, pending my hip issue doesn't set me back on squats, otherwise it'll just be a push/pull.. I'll be competing RAW and hoping for a 1500lb total at approx 260-265lbs.. not the best total, but not totally horrible either..

Once this meet is over, I plan on dropping down to the 242 class and hopefully increasing up to a 1700+ total over the next year.. If I can, I'd love to get down to the 220 class with that total, but I think that might be too much dieting and strength loss.. I'll play it by ear..

I still train with a decently high volume load as I'll probably never be happy with my size, but I've implemented semi-westside by doing DE and ME work, etc etc.. just stay tuned, you'll see what I mean.

I started doing box squats which has really improved my posterior and taken alot of pressure off of my knees so I can go heavy again, Only problem is a ME box squat workout I had 2 weeks ago jacked up my left hip. The highest I had previously gone was DE boxes @ 335lbs and I ramped it up to 495x1 for a ME box which really wasn't even that hard, but I'm thinking my hip issue is because my tendons just weren't ready for that big of a jump, stupid me.. I've been stretching and it seems to feel better.. some days better than others. We'll see how squats feel this week..

Anyways, today is Week 1 back from a deload and today is ME bench/chest.. I'm not going hardcore meet prep because of the sudden decision to enter, I'll just treat it as another ME saturday training day.. Today's workout will be posted in about 5-6 hrs when I get back from lunch/training..
    Last edited by JSully; 06-23-2009 at 09:46 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Big congrats Jake! You'll more than likely total elite sooner than I will!

WEEK 1

6/23/09 - TUESDAY

:::workout::: - chest @ 1-150p
    DE bench- 185x3 x3sets, 205x3 x4sets, 225x3 x3sets
    flat bb bench- 275x5, 315x5, 315x5, 275x8
    incline bb bench- 225x10, 245x5, 245x5
    incline db bench- 100x10, 110x6, 110x8
    cable flyes- 80x12, 100x8

done and done.. can still feel the tweak on my right pec/delt when doing incline work, getting much better though, probably about 95%..

also, spoke with the doc about my hip issue. He thinks I just put a strain on my adductors on that heavy box squat and with some stretching, should be good to go in a week or so. He said to make sure I keep stretching and keep working out as normal, just a tidbit lighter for the next week.. we'll see how it feels come time for some squat action..

also, today begins 3000-3250cals/day.. Weight has been edging up there since I've been eating whatever I want and I've gone from 249lbs to 273lbs just since april, though, I'm happy with the strength increase.. Time to get that weight back down, nice and slow. I'm hoping to be 260ish by the competition and then I want to drop down to 240ish over the next 6 months or so..

alright, back to work.
    Last edited by JSully; 06-23-2009 at 03:22 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Best of luck Jake. I had read through your previous journal a long time ago. Youve had quite the journey!

You like a lot of volume right?

BTW, 1500 raw IS a big deal.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

It seems your raw pressing is still impressively strong. I'm interested in seeing your split, am I correct in that it's still bodypart based but with ME and DE work as well?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

thanks flynn..

yeah sid, you're correct.. the only real day I "slack" on bodypart wise is leg day, but that's because I only have an hour for lunch and gotta get back.. I normally do my DE box squats + front or back full squats and then I hit the hamwork hard on saturdays.. you'll see.. This week is a bit off because I started the training week late due to my birthday yesterday so I'll be adding delts to saturday's heavy work which makes for a long workout.. meh, oh well..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

WEEK 1

6/24/09 - WEDNESDAY

weight- 272lbs

:::workout::: - back @ 105-2p
    DE pulls- 315x1 x3sets, 365x1 x3sets, 415x1 x4sets, 465x1 x2sets
    GMs- 315x5, 365x5, 405x8
    pullups- BWx8, BWx6 x3sets
    yates rows- 295x8, 315x8, 315x8, 335x6
    oh grip bb rows- 275x6, 275x6
    cable pullovers- 200x12 x2sets

deads and gms were cakesauce. I screwed up that last set of 465 and turned it into a SLDL because I didn't stay tight and tried to yank it too quickly, the prior set where I stayed tight and concentrated it went up quick and with no issue at all, oh well, just need to pay attention. The GMS were so easy it was ridiculous. I was only going to go up to 385 but the 365 felt so easy that I jumped to 405 and then I was only going to do 5 but it was still pretty easy. Definately getting stronger, good stuff. Hopefully my box squats will be nice and easy tomorrow and I'm hoping my hip isn't going to give me an issue.

Diet was on track yesterday, approx 3100cals.. high protein, high fat, medium carbs..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

That's some insane GM strength LJ, VERY solid workout.

I'll be your diet buddy this summer, I'm starting at about the same weight and strength as you in some areas. Will make some good synergy I hope
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

Dieting and strength training... welcome to the party

Nice GMs!

thanks CK, hopefully I can catch my bench up to yours... going to be difficult while "dieting".. 3000 cals FTW!! lol

gracis sid..

WELL...

I missed yesterday's workout due to meeting with a realtor.. going to be buying a house over the next month or 2 so hopefully it doesn't dig into my workouts too much. I got axed by my boss about working out at lunch but I'm going to go talk to the director today, it's really difficult to get a good workout in at 5am and I'm too damn tired by the time I get home from work.. Lunch is perfect..

I suppose it's not all that bad, by doing my box squats today, I'll do heavy low/high pulls and x-out any heavy squats I had planned for tomorrow, which will give my hip more time to heal since I won't be heavy squatting again until next saturday..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Your boss grinded you for training at lunch? On your own time? Tell him to get ****ed!

That a pissoff about the lunch time training. I did not realize bosses could say **** about what someone did while off the clock.

The problem is that our lunch is 45 mins and we get 2 15 minute breaks as well. Well for the past 6 months I've been combining them into 1 and taking an hour and 15 mins to go training..

Well it got axed.. I've still got to talk to the director to see if we can work something out..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

WEEK 1

6/26/09 - FRIDAY

:::workout::: - legs @ 740-845p
    DE box squats- 225x2, 225x2, 275x2 x5sets, 315x2 x5sets
    front squats- 135x6, 185x5
    SLDL- 315x6, 365x6, 405x5, 405x5 [+40lb PR]
    lying leg curls- 170x10, 185x8, 200x6, 185x6
    +misc calf work

I could feel the hip tweak on that 2nd set of front squats. First time doing front squats in about 4 months and even when I did it before my form sucked so bad it made me not want to do it anymore. Finally got my delts built back up enough so that they don't feel like they're going to fall off holding the weight. Also was able to figure out the stance to stay upright so it was a good "practice" front squat session, I suppose I'll do these every other week or so..

Everything else felt great, 405 SLDLs are a 40lb PR and they felt pretty ****ing solid. Still need to work on grip as I could only hold it mixed after I got to 365, gotta get some chalk soon, especially for the comp.

Heavy rack pulls, rack squats and maybe some rack bench tomorrow, as well as a tidbit of arms and delts since I missed thursday and friday's "true" workouts.. No heavy deep squats this week, going to wait till next week and see how the hip feels.. So far so good, only aggravated it on the front squats..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Good stuff Jake. Good seeing you posting.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Welcome back big fella! Good to see you round again!
    Sarvamangalam!

Start doing some dynamic warmups and foam rolling your IT band if your having hip troubles, 1 month of dynamic work and my hips don't get that twingey tweaky thing going on anymore.

thanks cp & zen..

risk, thanks for the tips. I'll look into foam rolling and dynamic stretching..

WEEK 1

6/27/09 - SATURDAY

:::workout::: - ME lower + delts/aux @ 6-815p
    hi rack squats- 225x3, 315x3, 405x3, 455x2
    ME hi rack pulls- 405x1, 495x1, 545x1, 585x1, (add straps) 635x1 [+10lb PR], 675x1 [+40lb PR]
    dead press- 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 335x2
    standing military press- 135x10, 185x6, 205x4, 205x4
    seated arnold press- 100x8, 100x6
    db side raises- 45x10, 50x8, 55x8
    cable face pulls- 170x12, 200x10, 200x10
    bb shrugs- 405x10, 405x8 x3sets

BOOYAH!... sick PRs up in here, regardless of straps. I don't want to let my grip limit my back strength and it's only a matter of time until my grip catches up. That 585x1 is a 40lb grip PR in only one month.. I couldn't hold it for long so I had to drop it as soon as I locked out but I still smoked it.. add some chalk and it'll be all good. Rack squats felt good after **** tons of stretching, though they wouldn't let me get low enough to cause any pain.. I backed off at 455x2 just because I wanted to save my gas for the pulls.. same with dead presses. That 335x2 felt real clean and I'm confident I could have thrown 365 on there for a dead press but I've got chest and DE bench on monday, plus I needed to bang out some delts. I skipped arms this week, oh well.. I'll get 'em next week..

Thanks for stopping by suckas..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Huge rack pulls big guy. Great work.

Where is the bar starting on your leg?
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

they were high pulls so the bar started right at my knee.. I'll be doing low pulls this Saturday coming up, starting about 3-4" below my knees and then the following week I'll do ME Deads off the floor.. I'm hoping to pull near 600 off the floor in the meet, I just wish I could train my squat harder right now, but I've gotta take a few weeks off heavy full squatting to let this issue heal..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JSully; 06-29-2009 at 07:58 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Nasty pulling!

geez. Moving some weight.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

thanks again fellas..

WEEK 2

6/29/09 - MONDAY

:::workout::: - chest @ 815-9p
    DE bench- 185x3 x3sets, 205x3 x4sets, 225x3 x3sets
    flat bb bench- 275x5, 315x5, 315x5, 275x6, 275x6
    incline bb bench- 225x8, 245x5, 245x5
    flat db bench- 120x8, 120x7

decided to lighten up the volume today.. For some reason, everything's getting better except my chest and shoulder workouts, which leads me to believe I'm overtaining them.. SO.. I'm going to drop another aspect of BBing by dropping shoulder day and combining it with chest. I'll probably keep the same volume as today for chest ,then add in some overhead presses, side raises and rear deltwork.. maybe I'll hit up some more overhead presses on ME bench day..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

WEEK 2

6/30/09 - TUESDAY

:::workout::: - back/rear delts/traps @ 840-940p
    pullups- BWx8, +25x6, +25x6, BWx8
    yates rows- 275x10, 315x8, 335x8, 365x4
    db rows- 120x15, 120x12
    seated face pulls- 135x10 x4sets
    db shrugs- 120x12 x3sets
    bb shrugs- 365x10, 405x10, 405x8

awesome workout, rows felt fantastic..

changing the workouts around a bit to focus more on strength.. the overload and high volume strategy works well for me for size, but doesn't seem to do much in terms of strength gains.. I'm hoping this will help out some. Here is the new plan::

monday- de bench, chest/anterior&medial delts
    tuesday- back/posterior delts/traps
    wednesday- de box squats, de deadlifts + aux posterior work (GMs, SLDL, etc)
    thursday- me bench, shoulder press, biceps, triceps
    friday- off
    saturday- me lower, squat variation (box, rack, full) , dead variation (hi/low/floor pull) + aux assist (cleans/more posterior)
    sunday- off

keeping an arm day just because I like being called a curl jockey...
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Split looks very cool jake. Maybe more tricep work on DE bench, have a look at this too;

http://westside-barbell.com/westside...rkouts%202.pdf

Doing some smaller workouts for your bench could help it along, if you can find the time!