The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Jon Pietrolaj's Strongman Training Journal

My name is Jon Pietrolaj. I'm 33 years old and have been lifting weights since I was 15. I have been using At Large Nutrition products exclusively for the past several years and truly believe they are the best supplements you can buy. For the past three and a half years, I've been competing in the sport of Strongman. My first contest was in May 2007 and I have been hooked ever since. My ultimate goal in Strongman is to hopefully win a Heavyweight Pro Card. I feel I'm fairly close to accomplishing this, but there is still a lot of work to do. I was lucky enough last year to compete in the Arnold Amateur Strongman World Championships. I finished 21st out of 49 guys. I wasn't pleased with the placing seeing as after the second event I was in 8th overall, but it was an amazing experience. This past year I took a break from competing. The main reason being I wanted to try and bring up my static strength. I also had a few minor bumps and bruises that held me back. So now it's 2011 and I'm ready to get back on the horse and start competing again. Some of my bigger goals for the year are:

12" Log Clean and Press - 400lbs
    2" Axle Clean and Press - 400lbs
    Deadlift (Belt only) - 750lbs
    Box Squat (Belt only) - 750lbs
    Bench Press - 500lbs (Best All time Bench Press for me is 515lbs Raw)
    Yoke Walk - 1,000lbs for 50ft
    Farmers Walk - 425's for 50ft

I currently keep a training log on Marunde Muscle and will continue to do so as well as on here. If your interested in some of my training from the past here is a link.

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/...ad.php?t=17757

Thanks for reading

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sat 2/19/2011 - Event Training

Body felt sore today when I woke up especially my abs and obliques. They were sore as hell. The only thing I can think of is the prowler work I did on Thursday night. That's really the only new thing that was added this past week. I decided I wasn't going to go crazy today and push the body to far.

Frame (80ft)
    270X2
    450X2
    550X1
    650X1

Conan's Wheel
    270 X 1 Lap
    360 X 1 Lap
    450 X 1 Lap
    630 X 1 Lap - Lower back was screaming after this. Haven't done Conan's probably since last summer so wanted to just get the groove back.

Prowler (100ft, All High Handles)
    10 runs X 140lbs + Prowler

Mon 2/21/2011

Came home from work and ended up falling asleep for almost two hours. Just felt really tired all day today. The nap however caused me to get a late start to training. My lower back has been feeling kind of tight all day today so the plan was to do some log pressing first and then depending on how my lower back was feeling do stones or not.

12" Log Clean and Press each rep
    195X5
    255X5
    315X4 - The pressing power is there, but my cardio right now stinks which is to be expected. I have been lazy with it the last few months. Lower back really started getting sore after this so I moved the log into the power rack.

12" Log Press in Rack
    285X3
    325X1
    345X1
    365X1
    390XFLD
    390X1 - PR!!, should of had it on the set before. Flew up and died halfway but I fought it to lockout. After this lower back was on fire. Decided to push stones to later in the week.

Reverse Hypers
    230 - 3X12

Pulldown Abs
    110,120,120X10 - Supersetted w/ Hypers

Wed 2/23/2011

Trap Bar Deadlifts (Belt and Straps, 13" Pick)
    170X5
    260X5
    350X5
    450X5
    550X1
    650X1
    750X7 - Had 2-3 more reps in me, but I didn't want to go to failure. My goal tonight was to get 6-7 reps and stop.

Stones
    285 to 58" X1
    320 to 58" X1
    335 to 58" X1
    355 to 58" XFLD 2 Times
    395 to 54" X1
    355 to 58" XFLD - I knew stones weren't going to go well tonight. The temperature last night dropped into the teens and the old tacky on the stones was just ripping off to the touch. The first miss w/ 355 was b/c I lost my grip on the stone halfway up due to the old tacky ripping off. The second miss I had the stone on my upper chest and was going to try and press it on, but it literally bent me in half. Third miss my lower back had nothing left.

Pulldown Abs
    120 - 3X10

GHR
    BW - 3X10 - Supersetted w/ Abs. Right knee was feeling good enough to do GHRs pain free.

Thurs 2/24/2011

Speed Overhead Press w/ 2" Axle
    205-8X3

Reverse Blue Band CGBP
    225X10
    315X5
    405X5
    495X3
    550X2 - Was going for 3 reps, but after 2nd rep racked weight. Got pain in right shoulder and pec/delt tie in.

Straight Bar Lat Pulldowns
    200,225X10
    250X6

Elbows Out Tricep Extensions
    55's, 65's 75's X10 - Supersetted w/ Pulldowns

Chest Supported Rows (Parallel Grip)
    110,130X6
    150X5

Straight Bar Tricep Pushdowns
    110 - 3X10 - Supersetted w/ Rows

Sat 2/26/2011

Beautiful day today for Strongmanin'. Upper 40's, low 50's, sunny, cool breeze. I also slept in today which I really needed. My body was feeling banged up.

Yoke (50ft)
    370X2
    550X2
    730X1
    910X1 - Haven't done this much weight in awhile. Felt ok.

Conan's Wheel
    270 X 2 Laps
    450 X 2 Laps
    630 X 1 1/4 Laps, this was my goal today, but I easily had 1 1/2 laps in me. Basically just going to try and improve a 1/4 of a lap a week.

Bigg Dogg Husafelt Stone Carry
    300 X 50ft
    300 X 50ft - Just did these to keep the groove. Both picks were good even though I haven't done them in two plus weeks.

Prowler (100ft trips, All High Handles)
    10 trips X 180lbs + Prowler

GHR
    BW - 3X10

Garage Lifter
    Nice work Jon, when is your next contest?

edit: just checked some of your vids at Marunde, huge work in there. Definitely on pace for your pro card soon. BTW, looks like you're training in a dungeon
    Last edited by StLRPh; 03-15-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Nice work Jon, when is your next contest?

edit: just checked some of your vids at Marunde, huge work in there. Definitely on pace for your pro card soon. BTW, looks like you're training in a dungeon
    Thanks. I appreciate it. My next contest may be next weekend, but I have to decide if I'm doing it or not. Its a NON-NAS Sanctioned show so I'm trying to determine if it's worth doing. I'd like to get my invite to NAS Nationals quickly so I can sit back and relax till then. Also, depending on if there is another Plat Plus contest before Nats and its doable financially I'd like to do that as well.

HAHA!! I actually train in my basement or as my friend Lou calls it "The Basement of Destiny". The lighting down there sucks so it does kind of look like a dungeon.

Wed 3/16/2011

Frame Carry (80ft)
    270X2
    450X1
    650X1

Prowler (100ft, All High Handles)
    10 runs X 140lb + Prowler

Stones
    285 to 60" X1
    320 to 58" X1 - Got on 3rd try, stones very dusty tonight.
    335 to 58" X1
    355 to 54" X1 - Got on 2nd try
    395 to 54" X1

Pulldown Abs
    110,120,125X10

Reverse Hypers
    270 - 3X10 - Supersetted w/ Abs

Decided to compete next weekend in Barry Perkins Capital Strongman Classic. Honestly I'm kind of nervous. I haven't competed in a little over a year. The Arnold Am World Championships was my last contest. Kind of want to see where I'm at physically and see if doing this show gets the competitive juices flowing again. The main goal however is to come out of it in one piece. Next week I will be taking it easy. Probably won't do much at all as far as training goes. My body right now is really beat up and is in desperate need of rest.

Thurs 3/17/2011

Speed Overhead w/ 12" Log
    205 - 8X3

Bench Press
    135X10
    225X5
    315X5
    365X1
    415X1
    435X1
    455X1 - Stopped here. All the reps were slow and 455 felt terrible. Knew I wasn't going to get much more than this.

Parallel Grip Lat Pulldowns
    200,220,230X10

Elbows Out Tricep Extensions
    50's, 60's, 70's X12 - Supersetted w/ Pulldowns

Chest Supported Rows (Straight Bar Grip)
    100,110,120X8

V-Bar Tricep Pushdowns
    100,110,120X10 - Supersetted w/ Rows

This will probably be my last workout before I start deloading for the contest next Saturday. If I get up on this Saturday and feel like it, I will do the ME Lower Body workout I would of done on Wednesday. If I don't feel like it I'm not going to worry about it. My body is so wrecked right now. I need all the rest I can get.

Garage Lifter
    Good luck at the contest. Do you know events and weights yet?

edit: nevermind, just found the website. Looks like fun
    Last edited by StLRPh; 03-18-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Good luck at the contest. Do you know events and weights yet?

edit: nevermind, just found the website. Looks like fun
    Thanks. Just looking to come out of it in one piece HAHA!!

Mon 3/21/2011

Cardio - 30 minutes walking on treadmill - just wanted to get the blood flowing

Wed 3/23/2011

Last light workout before the contest on Saturday.

Reverse Hypers
    180 - 3X10

Pulldown Abs
    110 - 3X10

Cable Side Bends
    90 - 3X10 per side

Standing Dumbbell Overhead Press (Palms facing in like a log press)
    50's - 3X12

Straight Bar Lat Pulldowns
    160 - 3X10

Straight Bar Tricep Pushdowns
    100 - 3X10

Dumbbell Hammer Curls
    25's - 3X15

Sat 3/26/2011

Competed in Barry Perkins Capital Classic Strongman contest yesterday down in Reston, VA. First off I want to say congrats to Barry for putting on a great first contest. There were I think 40 competitors overall and the crowd watching was huge. I think Barry said around 300 people standing room only. Great sponsors as well. Also a big thanks to all the judges and especially the loaders. Those guys were busting ass all day. They should of just competed. This was the first contest I have competed in in over a year. The last contest I did was the Arnold Am World Championship back in March 2010. This looked like a fun show and I finally got talked into it by someone who was supposed to compete, but didn't and shall remain nameless (Lou Costa HAHA!!). About 10 minutes away from the venue I will admit I started getting very nervous.

Event 1 - 12" Log C&P each rep - 260lbs - 1st Place
    I got lucky enough to go last (thanks Gavin) and when it was my turn the number to beat was 3 reps. I came out and hit 4 reps for the win and stopped. Then I got some ribbing for stopping at 4 so I went out and did another rep. Overhead pressing is my thing and I will be honest for me 260 is light. I was planning on having to do 10, but thank god I didn't. It was all about conserving energy on this day with 6 events.

Event 2 - Conan's Wheel - 650lbs - 3rd Place
    With all the competitors there was a significant time gap from when we completed the log till it was finally time to do the Conan's Wheel. I would say a good hour and twenty minutes. Add on top of that the fact I suck at Conan's Wheel, I wasn't expecting a good performance. When it was my turn to go 3 laps was the number to beat. I knew I wasn't getting that. Second place was 2 laps. Honestly I didn't think I could get that either. I ended up going 1 and 1/2 laps for 3rd place which on this particular wheel was a PR for me. On this same wheel at PA's Strongest Man in 2008 I did a little over 1 lap. I was happy with 3rd on this.

Event 3 - Car Deadlift - 770-780 in hands - 1st Place
    This is one event I was looking forward to. I have only done a car deadlift once and I wanted to get some practice on it. Seems like every major show has a heavy car deadlift so I wanted to see if doing heavy trap bar deadlifts in training had good carryover. Again there was a huge amount of time between events. We ended up using the lightweights weight for a warm up. This is when I got scared. All the guys were having a hell of a time pulling this car for a rep and for us they were adding another 100lbs in the trunk. When I took my warmup I hit an easy single and all the butterflies went away. When it was my turn to go, 4 reps was the number to beat. I went up and hit 5 easy reps for the win and stopped. I was thinking about going for as many as I could, but with three events still to go I decided not to. I really think I could of done 15+ reps. I don't know if the weight was 770-780. I think it was probably a good 700-725 in the hands.

Event 4 - Frame Carry - 675lbs for 80 feet - 1st Place
    The frame gave all the heavyweights problems. The farthest anyone got was 40ft. I took the frame the full 80 feet in 11 seconds. I started loosing my grip on the frame about 10 feet from the finish, but was able to hang on. There was a ton of chalk on it from the 30+ guys who went before me which made the handles a little slick.

Event 5 - Sled Drag/Tire Flip - 450lb Chain/Sled Drag for 50 feet, then 1000lb Tire for 3 flips - 1st Place
    After we finished the frame, it was going on 4:30pm. The contest started at 11am. I will admit I was tired and ready to go home. This event scared me the most because I have been having really bad bicep pain for the last several months and a 1000lb tire flip is not the best thing for sore biceps. A lot of bicep tears happen on tire flips. When it was my turn to go the winning number was the full chain drag and one filp of the tire. I dragged the chain for 50ft and got to the tire and flipped it twice for the win. I could of done the third rep, but didn't want to put any more stress on my biceps.

Event 6 - Stones - 250,280,300,330,350 - 1st Place
    The first four stones went up on a 51-52" platform and the 5th stone went on a 48-49" platform. When it was my turn 4 stones was the winning number. I knew I would load all 5 stones. My goal was to get the 407lb bonus stone to the 48-49" platform. I went through and did all 5 stones in around 36 seconds I think for the win. The 350lb stone didn't feel that great when I loaded it. I think competing for almost 8 hours by this point took its toll on my body, but I decided to give the bonus stone a shot anyway. I have a 395lb stone at my house I normally load to a 54" platform with no problems so I figured the Bonus stone was well within my reach. On my first try I bobbled the pick. I was lazy and didn't get my hands around the bottom of the stone. So I stepped back took a breath and on the second try lapped it. Got my arms around it, squeezed and about halfway up the tacky ripped off and I lost the stone. Barry gave me another shot at it. Again I stepped back, put more tacky on and went back and lapped the stone. This time I could feel I had a really good grip on it. The stone came out of my lap quickly and I really thought I had it this time. It felt like I had the stone on the lip, but when I did this I tilted the stone platform backwards a bit. The spotters pushed back on the platform which kind of rocked me a tad backwards and I lost the stone. It was no ones fault, but my own. No excuses. I should of loaded that stone easily.

Overall I ended up in 1st place in the Heavyweights which is a nice way to start off after a year away from competing. The contest was a lot of fun and it was nice to see some people I haven't seen in awhile. It was a LONG day. The contest started at 11am and we were doing awards at 8pm. There was a good hour plus wait in between events too which can be draining. Overall though it was a great day and a well run show. Congrats again to Barry. Thanks for reading.

Garage Lifter
    6 events and 5 1st places is pretty awesome.

Great job Jon, you definitely did better than "just coming out of it in one piece"

6 events and 5 1st places is pretty awesome.

Great job Jon, you definitely did better than "just coming out of it in one piece"
    HAHA!! Thanks. The tire really had me worried, but the biceps held up just fine. I also got lucky enough to go last on every event and that made a huge difference.

Very impressive performance, congrats on winning 1st at your meet. I think those long wait times would be nerve racking. This is a very interesting journal to read.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Very impressive performance, congrats on winning 1st at your meet. I think those long wait times would be nerve racking. This is a very interesting journal to read.
    Thanks. I've been competing for several years so experience helps with the long wait times. We had a few guys who were less expierenced and you can see they were getting a little fidgety waiting around. The worst part is the body starts getting cold and tightening up. The weights we were using were fairly heavy too and to wait an hour and twenty, an hour and thirty minutes between events then jump right in to something heavy isn't optimal. Plus, it just gets boring waiting around.
    Last edited by jp2004c5; 03-29-2011 at 08:23 AM.

A friend of a friend was cool enough to tape my stone run at the Capital Classic on Satirday, March 26th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ3qL3srEso

Tues 3/29/2011

Took a few days off after the contest on Saturday. Sunday I was hurting bad HAHA!! Felt pretty good today so decided to get back at it. The only thing that is giving me problems is my right knee. Feels terrible.

2" Axle Press in Rack
    125X10 - Strict Press
    175X5 - Strict Press
    225X5 - Strict Press
    275X3 - Strict Press
    295X3 - Strict Press
    315X1 - Strict Press
    335X1
    355X1
    375X1 - Stopped here. Just wanted to press something somewhat heavy.

Close Grip Floor Press
    135X10
    225X5
    315X5
    385X4 - Missed 5th rep, DAMNIT!!

V Handle Lat Pulldowns
    190,210,230X10

Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
    55's, 65's X10
    75's X8

Barbell Row (w/ straps)
    225,315,365X10

Wed 3/30/2011

Cardio - 30 mins walking on treadmill. Surprisingly this actually loosened up my right knee.

Garage Lifter
    How are you scheduling your training? I'm too exhausted (and lazy) to try and figure it out for myselft

Nice work btw, are you using Rehbands/knee sleeves at all?

How are you scheduling your training? I'm too exhausted (and lazy) to try and figure it out for myselft

Nice work btw, are you using Rehbands/knee sleeves at all?
    HAHA!! No problem. As of now on my training split looks like this:

Mon - Overhead Press (either Log, Axle, Circus Dumbbell, etc.), Stones and Assistance stuff like Abs and Reverse Hypers.

Wed - Lower Body, focusing more on my Deadlift b/c well it sucks. Going to be doing a Rack Pull from either 18" or 16", then the next week do pulls off the floor, either Pulls off Blocks, Trap Bar Deads or Regular Deads. Next I do Squats. I use either the Safety Squat Bar or Cambered Bar b/c they don't put a ton of stress on my shoulders. On Rack Pull weeks, I will go heavy on Squats either working up to a heavy double with a wide stance or a heavy single with a shoulder width stance. On weeks I pull off the floor, I will be doing Speed SSB Box Squats with a wide stance. After this I do Reverse Hypers, Abs and GHRs.

Thurs - Upper Body Assistance stuff

Sat - Events

I may move Stones back to Saturday's, but as of now I'm not sure. Deadlift, Stones and Conditioning are my biggest weaknesses currently.

I do use Rehband Knee Sleeves. I like them a lot.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Jon - Good to see you keeping a journal here, and congratulations on the win last weekend.

What do you have planned for contests this year?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Jon - Good to see you keeping a journal here, and congratulations on the win last weekend.

What do you have planned for contests this year?
    Thanks Tom. As far as contests this year, I'm not sure yet. I will probably do the York Barbell show on June 26th b/c its 10 minutes from my house. I am thinking about doing Nats and if another Plat Plus show happens to pop up I would like to give that a shot as well.