Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reaching a plateau...help

Wannabebig Member

reaching a plateau...help

I'm a creature of habit when it comes to lifting, but I think ive hit a plateau beacuse of the repetitiveness of my lifts. I just started changing it up a tiny bit. For 1 week I do bench, machine rows, backward curls, preacher curls, shrugs, close grip, leg press, calf raises, and suspended leg raises Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Then I do for the second week bench, pull downs, backward curls, machine curls, shrugs, close grip, squats, calf raises and torso twists, than the third week I alternate to the first weeks lift. Its getting difficult to increase my weight especially on bench. Ive been repping 230lbs for 8, 240lbs for 8, and 250lbs for 8, any advise of how much weight I should be increasing every week? Should I space the weights out more and do 135lbs, 205lbs and 275lbs or something like that? I do 3 sets for all my lifts and 8 reps for everything except leg raises, torso twists and calf raises. It would probably be important to states my goals, just trying to gain as much muscle as possible, increase my strength, and lose BF%, currently at 194lbs.If you suggest new lifts, just don't suggest any lifts that have deltoid involved, im not new to lifting FYI but im sure there are things I don't know. Thanks-

I would simplify and only focus on primary lifts for each group. Meaning pick one or two money makers for each muscle group. Make sure it a big compound and use it each workout, drop the garbage like the torso twists and leg raises. Drop the shrugs, leave one curl if you want but not so many.

Cut out the fluff and get your big lifts moving. When they're progressing you can tweak in a little more isolation as you go.

You're also probably spinning your wheels if you're trying to "gain as much muscle as possible while simultaneously lose BF%". If you want to gain a lot of muscle you're going to increase your BF%... start eating a lot.

And this makes no sense to me "just don't suggest any lifts that have deltoid involved". Why are you adverse to a lift where the deltoid is involved? It's majorly involved in 3/4 of the lifts you're already doing...
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I would simplify and only focus on primary lifts for each group. Meaning pick one or two money makers for each muscle group. Make sure it a big compound and use it each workout, drop the garbage like the torso twists and leg raises. Drop the shrugs, leave one curl if you want but not so many.

Cut out the fluff and get your big lifts moving. When they're progressing you can tweak in a little more isolation as you go.

You're also probably spinning your wheels if you're trying to "gain as much muscle as possible while simultaneously lose BF%". If you want to gain a lot of muscle you're going to increase your BF%... start eating a lot.

And this makes no sense to me "just don't suggest any lifts that have deltoid involved". Why are you adverse to a lift where the deltoid is involved? It's majorly involved in 3/4 of the lifts you're already doing...
    Already eating a lot, trying to eat healthy, I talked to you before about my deltoid... it wasted away forever. I wouldn't say it was majorly invovled, its mostly for stability, its harder for me to do the weights stable, I stick to machines and bars now, no dumbells or machines that have the independent motions but I wanna hit all muscle groups (except deltoids). I take a lot of protein, just started a week ago taking flax seed oil, need all the omega 3 I can get. The torso twists and leg raises are obviously for my abs so I wanna keep doing them. I take L-glutamine so im able to beat myself up four times a week. I will throw up a pick of my shoulder so you can see since last time you were very sketpic about it.
    Last edited by Footballer47; 02-19-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Left shoulder.... not the best pic of it, but it still looks pretty bad...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post

Behemoth can you please explain something to me. I agree with you 100% that in order to gain muscle you are going to need to eat more. But you see these photos posted all over the internet of people like John Stone who went from being overweight to skinny to lean to thick and then to jacked.

http://img.izismile.com/img/img2/200...n_stone_20.jpg

Granted it is a 6 year long lifting shoot but I have a similar story to Johns but have yet to obtain that thick look with out looking plain old fat.

You also see other stories of people losing a ton of weight and then looking really ripped and they have been training for less than a year.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Partyfoul View Post
    Behemoth can you please explain something to me. I agree with you 100% that in order to gain muscle you are going to need to eat more. But you see these photos posted all over the internet of people like John Stone who went from being overweight to skinny to lean to thick and then to jacked.

Granted it is a 6 year long lifting shoot but I have a similar story to Johns but have yet to obtain that thick look with out looking plain old fat.

You also see other stories of people losing a ton of weight and then looking really ripped and they have been training for less than a year.
    I do have to disagree with the part about having to gain the fat.... as long as your working out enough and hard enough I don't see where or why the fat would pack on.

Quote Originally Posted by Footballer47 View Post
    I do have to disagree with the part about having to gain the fat.... as long as your working out enough and hard enough I don't see where or why the fat would pack on.
    Because new muscle tissue has to be built out of something, and that something is the nutrients you get from food. To build extra muscle, you need extra nutrients. Those extra nutrients will not get partitioned to 100% muscle rebuilding, some will be stored as fat.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Powerlifter
    If I were you, I'd start doing deadlifts. It also looks to me like you're talking about circuit training, you need to split it up, 3-4 day split, chest/tris, back/bis, Legs, shoulders. Stop using machines. Stop doing 3 sets of 8, start doing more sets, fewer reps.

Example Bench: Based on 250 for 8 flat bench

135x10
    225x4
    285x3
    305x1
    245x?
    225x?
    205x?

Follow that kind of rhythm for all your compounds (shoulder press, pullups, bench, rows, dips, squats, deadlifts, cleans etc) and 3-4 sets for isolation exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Partyfoul View Post

It's been the subject of debate constantly here lately. Just look around and you'll find lots of opinions and info on it. You can build muscle while losing weight if you're very overweight (and well past your setpoint) and by the time you're "ripped" may have appreciable mass. Most people simply spin their wheels when they try to attempt both, that's all. I know I need all my ducks in a row to gain some quality mass and I need them all in a different row to lose fat without lbm.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-20-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    You need to do something besides always doing 8 reps. That is why your bench never goes up.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    You need to do something besides always doing 8 reps. That is why your bench never goes up.
    I've have been doing 8 reps since I was 14 years old.... its just now I've hit a plateau. I started back up lifting exactly 1 year and 7 days ago after taking 1 year off. I would say my max was probably 185lbs... now its over 300lbs, I think like 330lbs. Some of it was muscle memory but I did lose 30lbs from the year before and my max was about 250lbs at that time.

Dynami- I think I will start doing something like that for bench. I have a friend that works out a muscle group a day for 5 days a week, and it seems to work for him hes pretty big, and pretty strong, I mean I don't know if hes taken steroids but its seems like it works for him. The problem I find with that is, lets say I do chest on only Mondays, wouldn't I loose my muscle memory when I go to do chest that following Monday?

more food
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Footballer,

You need to do something about your shoulder if you want to make any kind of long term or significant progress.

What exactly is wrong with it? Is it painful or just weak?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Footballer,

You need to do something about your shoulder if you want to make any kind of long term or significant progress.

What exactly is wrong with it? Is it painful or just weak?
    Well right now there is nothing I can do about it so please don't nag me about it. It's not as easy as you would think to get my shoulder fixed, it requires a muscle transplant, I am going to get this done but last time I went to get surgery my surgeon was gonna take my entire Lat. out and I just couldn't do that. With football it makes it hard to schedule an appointment for the surgery, and don't nag me about playing football because my doctor whos a big time doc told me so. I hope to get the surgery in 2 years, unless I miss a year of football and get the surgery. It was a huge decision for me, and still is, not easy. My doctor told me point blank, you don't need this surgery, you have compensated so well, and have been my strongest patient. Yeah well for the average person, sure I don't really really need the surgery, but im not average so that goes out the window. You asked me if its painful or weak, well it is both. The muscle wasted away, I don't have a muscle anymore because of nerve damage from a football injury. I have pretty bad pain with it, since the nerves in my back are branching out to compensate for the loss. I can't feel 1/2 my bicep either, but with that said no one try telling me what to do about it, I really don't need advice on that.

Banned
    Well right now there is nothing I can do about it so please don't nag me about it. It's not as easy as you would think to get my shoulder fixed, it requires a muscle transplant, I am going to get this done but last time I went to get surgery my surgeon was gonna take my entire Lat. out and I just couldn't do that. With football it makes it hard to schedule an appointment for the surgery, and don't nag me about playing football because my doctor whos a big time doc told me so. I hope to get the surgery in 2 years, unless I miss a year of football and get the surgery. It was a huge decision for me, and still is, not easy. My doctor told me point blank, you don't need this surgery, you have compensated so well, and have been my strongest patient. Yeah well for the average person, sure I don't really really need the surgery, but im not average so that goes out the window. You asked me if its painful or weak, well it is both. The muscle wasted away, I don't have a muscle anymore because of nerve damage from a football injury. I have pretty bad pain with it, since the nerves in my back are branching out to compensate for the loss. I can't feel 1/2 my bicep either, but with that said no one try telling me what to do about it, I really don't need advice on that.
    Has the Dr. said that its ok to do progressive resistance training with your condition? I cant see how this is good for your rotator cuff. Also, you say you know what you are doing and dont need advice on this, but it is for sure a big issue with why you are stalling. And you say not to recommend any exercises involving the shoulders, but you've been benching a lot which certainly involves a lot of shoulders.

Im sorry, but nothing you say makes any sense.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Has the Dr. said that its ok to do progressive resistance training with your condition? I cant see how this is good for your rotator cuff. Also, you say you know what you are doing and dont need advice on this, but it is for sure a big issue with why you are stalling. And you say not to recommend any exercises involving the shoulders, but you've been benching a lot which certainly involves a lot of shoulders.

Im sorry, but nothing you say makes any sense.
    Bench only partially involves the deltoids for stability, don't try to tell me whats what because I lift with my 3 missing muscles everyday. My doctor wants me to keep lifting, because it doesn't take a doctor to realize lifting is good in order to get compensation with the other muscles around it. This is actually very good for my rotator cuff, the rotator cuff is a muscle. Why am I stalling? Maybe because I'm also having an insurance issue? Do you really believe its easy to schedule for a major surgery, which takes 6 months of just healing before I can begin rehabilitation, not to mention the place Im going for surgery is not only the best in the world, but is in MN and im in NY.

Wannabebig Member
    Lets please stick to the thread topic

If you are so set in your ways, why are you asking the members on the forum?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradley View Post
    If you are so set in your ways, why are you asking the members on the forum?
    Im not so set in my ways, I don't talk about anything other than the thread topic.

don't try to tell me whats what because I lift with my 3 missing muscles everyday.
    And you're stalling? Imagine that.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Banned
    I've have been doing 8 reps since I was 14 years old.... its just now I've hit a plateau. I started back up lifting exactly 1 year and 7 days ago after taking 1 year off. I would say my max was probably 185lbs... now its over 300lbs, I think like 330lbs. Some of it was muscle memory but I did lose 30lbs from the year before and my max was about 250lbs at that time.
    And you are how old now?

Do you think 400 to 500 pound benchers lift in the 8 rep range all the time? Just because you made gains on something, doesn't mean you won't gain even faster with someone else. In the grand scheme of things, any progression is good progression, but there are definitely better ways than always choosing 8 reps.

Wannabebig Member
    Clearrrrrrly Rich, I'm thinking maybe going one week on doing bench like Dynami suggested, and then the second week maybe do machine flys and rotate? Hows that sound

Banned
    Clearrrrrrly Rich, I'm thinking maybe going one week on doing bench like Dynami suggested, and then the second week maybe do machine flys and rotate? Hows that sound
    Machine flys won't carry over 1 bit to bench.

DB bench will.
    Incline bench will.
    Pin presses will.
    Floor press will.
    Close grip bench will
    Dips will.

I like the idea of rotating 2 exercises to get over your plateau.

I think I'd listen to Mchicia1.
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 02-21-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    And you are how old now?

Do you think 400 to 500 pound benchers lift in the 8 rep range all the time? Just because you made gains on something, doesn't mean you won't gain even faster with someone else. In the grand scheme of things, any progression is good progression, but there are definitely better ways than always choosing 8 reps.
    Yeah there deff are better ways than 8 reps, but my point was that took me like 5-6 years to reach a plateau.