Thread: Rage X Shirt Help

Rage X Shirt Help

I am about a 450-475 raw narrow grip style bencher now. Been using my shirt for 3 sessions. Very weird to get use to as I DO have limited experience and a band left shoulder. I am not even sure if I am putting the dang thing on right. I know. NEWB.

I know using boards is the way to go for getting use to it.

Is it also too much to just do my ME training on one day with my shirt and then some added technique work with my shirt on speed day?

Any advice welcome.

Actually I don't think boards is the way to go at all. I would start with a light weight and try to bring it down as far as you can for triples. That way you learn the groove of the shirt. Try to bring it down farther each time. Touch the weight if you can. Slowly work up in weight.

Also, benching in a shirt twice a week would not be a good choice in my opinion.

The best thing you can do is to find people experienced in gear and train with them.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

I agree with Adam..find others who know what they are doing in a shirt and train with them.

LOL if life was that easy. If that was an option I wouldnt be asking for tips on a board.

I think were some of the only ones still using a Rage X everyone else is switching to the SDP.
    Not to disagree with the others now but I totally say use boards to break in the shirt. I have always used boards with all of my Rages and have had great success that way you have something to shoot for when trying to touch. We have gone as far as using half boards and quarter boards. Most of my guys now wear Rage X's and we do triple to boards to break them in til we can triple off chest.
    Last edited by bigbadwolfe; 02-10-2011 at 08:41 PM.
    MONSTER MODE

I'll write what I did with my rage x, single ply, when I could bench raw 360 about a year ago the first time I used it.

I did 275, put the shirt on and did a 3 board, just to get a feel for it. I then did maybe 295 to a 2 board, 315 to my chest, then 335, 365, 385, 405, 420. All to my chest. THe shirt felt very tight on my but I know its not normal to be able to touch light weight like that. THe point is, I did boards for a set or two THE FIRST TIME I EVER HAD IT ON just so I didnt worry about trying to touch. But with weight that light (under my raw max) I was confident trying it. IF I were you I would put it on, and just bring the bar down as close to your chest or stomach as you can, with light weights and as you get more confident, go heavier. You dont need to put on 100 over your max because you will eventually be able to. IF you bench 475 without the shirt, practicing with 475 won't be that heavy for you and good practice. Like others said, triples are great, and the second and third rep always come down easier. I know I'm not a huge bencher but thats my experience.

Thanks guys. Will use boards and take Wolfe's advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    LOL if life was that easy. If that was an option I wouldnt be asking for tips on a board.
    I'm not saying it is easy...I have a 4 hr round trip to train bench every week..I have been traveling at least that far for the past 10 years. The driving sucks, but the rewards are worth it. Even if you make a trip somehwere once a month to train with someone who knows what they are doing its worth it.

Is your shirt open or closed back? If it's closed, cut the back open, this will make your life so much easier.

I'm in the no-boards camp because I have found that even when I've been really good with the shirt, too much time with boards has thrown me way off and screws up my groove when I go full ROM. So what I do now is warm up with a weight that probably won't touch and just get it to a stopping point before pressing.

What you really need to do is get video of your next shirt session and put it up here. If you are new to equipped benching and have no experienced people around you, you are probably doing a lot of things wrong. Some small changes in your form could make all the difference.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Guys lets be real. If I compete in a fed with closed backs why would I damage my shirt? Not gonna happen. I understand the concept so maybe an older shirt? But still...not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    I'm not saying it is easy...I have a 4 hr round trip to train bench every week..I have been traveling at least that far for the past 10 years. The driving sucks, but the rewards are worth it. Even if you make a trip somehwere once a month to train with someone who knows what they are doing its worth it.
    No thanks. That isn't practical.

Once a month might be an option but for now it wont help much.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    What you really need to do is get video of your next shirt session and put it up here. If you are new to equipped benching and have no experienced people around you, you are probably doing a lot of things wrong. Some small changes in your form could make all the difference.
    That is an option.

So much drama. I just want to lift.

Guys lets be real. If I compete in a fed with closed backs why would I damage my shirt? Not gonna happen. I understand the concept so maybe an older shirt? But still...not the same thing.
    Sorry didn't realize you had to have it closed. That will make life harder.

No thanks. That isn't practical.

Once a month might be an option but for now it wont help much.
    Even once would help tremendously to get you on the right path.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Yeah my meet is March 26 so I am just trying to get it worked out. Lifted raw last time and am much stronger now. But....I want my 2400 total. I will check around and see what my options are.

To make it easy, since your meet is so close. Id say to get a quick video of your shirted bench and post it up so you can get some quick critiques. Boardwork so close to your meet date really isn't going to do much. Get some tips, get the shirt on, and put weight on the bar and get it to touch. Good luck bro.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I'm with just about everything already up here.

1) take video, you might be doing everything right..... or you might look like a mess.

2) take that drive at least once, I drive 2 hours round trip for my regular bench crew, 2.5 for squat on Saturdays. I've tried to get out to Luyandos place to bench whenever I can.... including picking up my teammates that round trip is around 6 hours and worth every bit of it. Someone who is really good with equipment can get you to touch with weights you never thought possible and then go on to smash PR's.

3) I like triples and doubles to progressively lower boards... So get the shirt all the way up, let the collar ride up ( don't jack the shirt at all). If you are comfortable around 475 raw, start around 450, although it might take 500, 550 + to get it to touch reliably until you get technique dialed in. So start with one rep to a three board, if that touches have the person holding the boards switch out to a two board. The next set go 2 board, 1 board. Then 1 board, chest. Don't break form trying to touch, and don't be afraid to literally pull the weight in to you like a barbell row.

Good luck.

I was able to touch with 585 and lock it out. So all the tips helped. Used the boards then on last set no board. Still really odd to bench using a narrow grip with a shirt. But I have no choice with my bad shoulder.

I was able to touch with 585 and lock it out. So all the tips helped. Used the boards then on last set no board. Still really odd to bench using a narrow grip with a shirt. But I have no choice with my bad shoulder.
    Good to hear. How narrow of a grip did you use? Even moving out a finger or so can make it easier to touch.

About shoulder width grip.

About shoulder width grip.
    Pinky on the rings maybe? If touching is an issue going a finger wider might make touching easier.

If that's the only way you can bench w/ your shoulder you might as well stick with it though.

I'd go wider if it was possible. I did try that wide. It hurt like a muthah.