The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

can someone informed on ketogenic diets please read this...

Each day millions of people are battling against obesity. At one time throughout our lives many of us are likely to try at least one diet. Often times people spend all their time and energy in a yo yo effect, jumping from one diet to another. There are so many various diets on the market today it is virtually impossible to know which one is worth the time and what ones are a social fad.
    One particular diet group is ketogenic diets. Ketogenic diets are diets which are high in fat and low in carbohydrates, in some cases virtually no carboyhdrates. If carbohydrate intake is restricted for a certain length of time, sometimes as little as three days a state of ketosis will be reached. When carbohydrates are not available, the body seeks other methods to feed the nervous system. During this period, the body changes fatty acids into compunds called ketone bodies which are used to meet some of the body’s energy needs. Ketones are organic compounds that contain a carbonyl group, they are sometimes used for the synthesis of other chemicals. (Encyc 61). The synthesis of other chemicals in the blood provides the body with energy. When there is an abnormal buildup of ketone bodies in the bloodstream, the body enters a state of ketosis (nutrition book, 218). There are two types of ketosis which are often confused with one another. Ketosis-lipolysis(dietary ketosis) is simply a fat burning state, the state resulting from the various types of ketogenic diets. (stumptuous) Below is a personal experience of a man who has seen very beneficial results while on a CKD or Cyclical Ketogenic Diet.
    “Personally, I went from 10% body fat to 5% in 8 weeks with minimal muscle loss while my wife went from 20% to 15% in an astonishing five weeks.” (hardbodies)
    Before ketosis is reached, the liver must be depleted of glycogen. This is done by restricting the carbohydrate intake and providing the body with adequate protein and fat. On a CKD diet, the carbohydrate restriction lasts for 5-6 days. Usually no more than 20-40 grams per day. Immediately following, a 1-2 day loading phase begins. Usually 40-120 grams per meal. The purpose of the carbohydrate loading is to replenish muscle glycogen stores. (hardbodies)
    It is important to state that low carb diet, and ketogenic diet are very different. A low carb diet consists of weakness, lethargy, low insulin levels, constant hunger, moderate fat burning, muscle loss, low fat intake, and excessively low total calories. A ketogenic diet results in energy, high level of fat burning, feeling of well-being, minimal muscle loss, full and satisified, and sufficient caloric intake. As Dr. Atkin’s states, “Stored fat is, after carbohydrate, the body's backup fuel system. The human body cannot store more than a two day supply of carbohydrate. In the absence of dietary carbohydrate, fat becomes the primary fuel. It's next on the pecking order. This metabolic changeover is supported by biochemical catalysts which facilitate the steady burning of fat, producing more energy, increased well-being and a dramatic loss of appetite.” (Atkins diet plan interview) While on a ketogenic diet, the ketones enable the body to maintain regulated insulin levels throughout the day resulting in energy. (hardbodies). Typical ketogenic foods include all types of meats and fish, vegetables, chesses, sugar free jello, and protein powders. Foods that are not appropriate for a ketogenic diet include bread, milk, pasta, grains, cereal, rice, and other high carbohydrate foods. The following table represents the foods one might eat on a ketogenic diet and their nutritional value.
    Food Protein Carbs Fat Calories
    4 whole extra large eggs 28 2 28 370
    Total meal one 28 2 28 370

One can solid white tuna 37 0 2 170
    1.5 tbspns Hellmans real mayo 1 0 16 150
    Total meal two 38 0 18 320

4 ounces 85% ground beef 28 0 15 250
    1 tbs Hellmans real mayo 0 0 11 100
    Total meal three 28 0 2 112

4oz grilled chicken 28 0 2 112
    1.5 tbs Hellmans real mayo 0 0 16 145
    1 tbs natural peanut butter 3 3 12 132
    Total meal 4 31 0 30 390

Optimum Protein Diet 30 3 5 200
    1 tablespoon flaxseed oil 0 0 14 125
    Sugar free fat free jello 1 1 0 10
    Total meal five 31 4 30 335

DAILY TOTALS 156 13 132 1765

(Hardbodies)

Listed below are several testimonials of people who have tried a ketogenic diet.

“I feel healthier, more energy, and smarter.”

“After the first 3 days the increase in energy was unbelievable, the mental fog and Monday morning blues were gone.”

“I have more energy, not so tired anymore, and feel like I’m in control of my appetite.” (best of weight loss)

It is evident that ketogenic diets are very beneficial. They not only help people lose weight, and lead healthy lifestyles, they have been successfully used in the treatment of epilepsy in children. Studies performed at the Johns Hopkin’s University over several years suggest that 20-25 percent of children on a ketogenic diet will have their seizures well controlled. An additional 30-40 percent of children will have their seizure frequency decreased by 50 percent. (john hopkins medicine). According to Dr. John Freeman, “The diet will completely control epilepsy in one-third of the children whose seizures are otherwise uncontrollable. In half of the remaining children the diet will either markedly decrease the frequency of seizures or enable medications to be reduced. Many children whose seizures are completely controlled can return to a normal diet in two to theree years and remain seizure free without medication. They have either been cured of epilepsy or have recovered from their previously uncontrollable epilepsy. Permanent control often begins within days of diet intitiation.” (Marchant Barron) Some side effects of a ketogenic include dehydration, vomiting, hypoglycemia, constipation, renal stones, and decreased appetite. However, in comparison with anti-epileptic drugs the diet does not interfere with mental development nor does it have narcotic effects. (Marchant Barron)
    Jacob has suffered from epilepsy since he was 3 years old. At one point, he was having seizures so often that his body constantly trembled. His parents and physicians at Children’s tried every type of medication possible to stop the seizures, but, if the medications worked, the side effects often made Jacob sick. “Jacob was a zombie, and he was still having seizures, even when he was in the hospital. That’s when the doctor suggested the ketogenic diet,” explains Tina Lee, Jacob’s mother. “I trained at Johns Hopkins so I had used the diet for years. It does have some limitations. It isn’t for everybody, but in a well-managed case, it can be a godsend,” says Dr. Goldstein. For Jacob, this unusual diet was exactly that. He rarely suffers from seizures anymore and he is off most of his medications. Before the diet, he couldn’t go long enough without a seizure to feed himself, dress himself, walk or talk. It hasn’t been easy for Jacob or his family to stick to the strict regimen the diet requires, but they feel that it’s been worth the extra trouble.
    “He’s a totally different child now. This sounds crazy, but the first time Jacob held his own in a minor argument with his brother, I was ecstatic because he was taking care of himself,” says Tina. “And he’s actually becoming the mastermind behind his brothers’ antics.” (treating epilepsy with keto diet)

Jacob’s case is a prime example of the good that ketogenic diets can do if used responsibly and in good taste.
    Although people continue to search for a way to lose weight and become fit, there will never be a “miracle diet”. It is quite simply exercise and an awareness of what types of foods you are consuming

Is there any important information that I left out?????

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Looks good
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Ecoli die
    Ketogenics have been around since the early 1920's for epileptic children but those are very restrictive diets implemented in a medical environment with insulin supplementation for diabetics primarily. I don't think it's fair to bring up success stories about how such a specialized diet applies to a specific medical condition when it wouldn't even be considered without a doctor's supervision.

Couple things that I am confused on with ketogenics:
    Red blood cells and some organs can ONLY use glucose for energy. They cannot use ketones or fatty acids so your body will break down proteins to make glucose. Do these proteins come from muscle or food intake?

Once your body adapts fully to using ketones for energy, won't it still put on fat if your caloric intake exceeds your caloric output?

http://www.wannabebig.com/printarticle.php?articleid=34
    http://www.wannabebig.com/printarticle.php?articleid=45
    Last edited by Tiare; 05-19-2002 at 03:55 PM.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Very nice