The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Do you front squat or full squat?

I'm wondering how many powerlifters here do forms of front squatting (either standart, with front squat harness, on box, etc.) or full squats that are well under parallel.

And if you do, why? What effect did it have on your lifts?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'll mess around with front squats every now and then for assistance. I always do them light and for about 5 reps. I don't take it serious, it's more for fun and something different to do.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Both FTW.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I love the front squat. Just pure brute power. It helps my deadlift and squat. It really hits my thighs like nothing else and fighting to stay upright really carries over to the squat. I also do ATG back squats. This is a lot different from my regular raw squat. I sit back and am a wide stance raw squatter. This is another variation that brings balance to my squat strength. Again, they also carry over to the deadlift.
    Guerrilla Squad Barbell Member

Current Raw Lifter @242- 765, 465 and 720.

not sure if i can say front squats helped my lifts. i do them in goals for quad size and Hopper said above^

Banned
    A small hi-jack here, but its on topic. I believe my quad strength is lacking, because when doing deadlifts I have trouble getting the bar moving unless I start with my hips pretty high. I do a lot of deadlifting, and box squatting like a powerlifter. But I think I might need some assistance exercises to address this weakness. Would front squats be the bets bet? or something else?

front squats helped my leg drive a lot for pulling sumo, and improve my ability to keep my upper back tight on the squat. they also beat the crap out of your core, in a good way.

@dan fanelli - your problem could be caused by any number of things. you could be starting with the bar too close or far away from your shins, you may not be pulling the slack out of the bar before you break the floor, or you could just have long legs and need to start with your hips higher. however, IF it is a quad weakness, front squats are great. really deep SSB squats (with or without a box) may be slightly better because you can load them up a little heavier and they're a little easier on your shoulders. leg presses with the same foot placement as you pull can help too, because body position is similar.
    21 years old, 242 pounds
    current: 750 squat, 445 bench, 725 deadlift
    goals: Total 2000+ raw in the next 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by thatNUCKOLSkid View Post
    front squats helped my leg drive a lot for pulling sumo, and improve my ability to keep my upper back tight on the squat. they also beat the crap out of your core, in a good way.

@dan fanelli - your problem could be caused by any number of things. you could be starting with the bar too close or far away from your shins, you may not be pulling the slack out of the bar before you break the floor, or you could just have long legs and need to start with your hips higher. however, IF it is a quad weakness, front squats are great. really deep SSB squats (with or without a box) may be slightly better because you can load them up a little heavier and they're a little easier on your shoulders. leg presses with the same foot placement as you pull can help too, because body position is similar.
    I know that in my case, when my front and deep back squat go up, so do my wide stance squats and deadlifts. I am going to do a few training cycles of front squats and deep squats with a few lighter reps of wide stance and box squats to keep working on technique. I'll see what happens with that.

Quote Originally Posted by thatNUCKOLSkid View Post

Good advice. Front squats are great for the deadlift! Rotate them and safety bar 10" box squats, for reps of 5-10, before or afer your deadlifting. Occassionally work up heavier as well.
    Guerrilla Squad Barbell Member

Current Raw Lifter @242- 765, 465 and 720.

Banned
    Thanks thatNUCKOLSkid, front squats and leg press are two things that I do not enjoy. Guess I need to learn to love em.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I am not a powerlifter but I almost exclusively do Front Squats unless I am doing high-rep work or overload work. Front Squats seem to have helped with my speed off the floor on deadlift, so if that is a weak point for you then you may want to consider adding them in. They are also easier on the lower back than Back Squats.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 02-27-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I strongly reccomend people split their front/back work evenly. The leg size you can put on from that is beyond insane.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.