The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Advice on creating a routine.

I just put together a routine based on my current goals
    1.Increase Press , Bench and Row numbers.
    2.Workout around a nagging sports hernia.
    3.Add size to my upper body.

Day 1
    Bench 3x5
    Bench 5x10
    Flys 3x12

Day 2
    Squat very light
    Core light
    Back Ext. 3x10

Day 3
    Press 3x5
    Press 5x10
    Dips 3x15

Day 4
    Row 3x5
    Chinup 5x10
    Shrugs 3x12

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Creating a routine is almost always a bad idea. Instead, go with a good premade template and modify it to your needs

it really doesnt look too bad considering you have the hernia. are you having surgery on it? when will you be able to go heavy on lower days again?

Looks ok What is your progression scheme going to be? You are basically doing 5/3/1, so why not follow that for your main lifts and light squat sets of 12-15 on that day? Rather than flies, maybe a tricep exercise or chins on this day as well?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    I eased up on squats since the pain started,and dropped deadlifts all together.Im just not ready for surgery if thats what it takes.I took get the basics from 5/3/1 but with straight sets on 3x5 instead.I want to dedicate a back day without overtraining,and to make up for not deadlifting.I haven,t made any size or strength gains in almost a year of solid training.

Banned
    If you want to increase your row strength, why aren't you doing any real back work? If you want to build size, flyes are a waste of time. Compound movements are the only way to go.

If you haven't made progress in a year, this should alert you to the fact that you're doing something terribly wrong. Follow an already established program. If it's already established, these guys clearly know what they're talking about. Unless you know more than Mark Rippetoe, Bill Starr, Jim Wendler etc... If you do, you and i need to talk because I need to know the secrets.

Wannabebig Member
    I would follow one of those routines ,but like I said earlier deadlifts set me back once I approach 50%.So I'm trying to find a way to work my back without straining the sports hernia any further. I enjoyed BS Power Routine last year and was progressing until the injury.It sucks watching guys Deadlift while I'm doing seated DB high pulls,seated shrugs and supported rows .

Quote Originally Posted by cva View Post
    I just put together a routine based on my current goals
    1.Increase Press , Bench and Row numbers.
    2.Workout around a nagging sports hernia.
    3.Add size to my upper body.
    I would do madcow 5x5. It focuses on increasing all those numbers. It also has a little more volume on friday to help with adding size to your upper body.

Since you're working around a hernia, you could start much lighter - maybe take 6 weeks to reach your old 5rm for squats (read the program) Instead of the actual deadlifts, you could try romanian deadlifts.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

I agree with everyone. Follow a proven map. 531 is ideal
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Banned
    I would follow one of those routines ,but like I said earlier deadlifts set me back once I approach 50%.So I'm trying to find a way to work my back without straining the sports hernia any further. I enjoyed BS Power Routine last year and was progressing until the injury.It sucks watching guys Deadlift while I'm doing seated DB high pulls,seated shrugs and supported rows .
    So let me get this straight? The only real movement you can't do is deadlifting? It's possible to do 5/3/1 without deadlifting. I'm doing it right now because of 2 herniated discs. Still pulled 745 after not pulling for 6 months. It's possible to do any program and not deadlift if you're injured. Use some common sense.

And why can't you set up the program to deadlift using the numbers that don't bother your hernia? If you can use close to 50%, the do it. Deadlifting 50% is better than not deadlifting. Again, use some common sense.

When I said back work I meant rowing and pull-ups. Your low back gets plenty of work squatting. Work around your injury with a proven program and make some progress in the lifts you can train.
    Last edited by RhodeHouse; 02-28-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Instead of working around a nagging problem, get it fixed. Have you been properly diagnosed or is this a self-diagnosis? Have you used a conservative approach to heal the injury; i.e., a period of rest followed by PT (stretching the lower abs and lower extremity muscles and tendons with strengthening of the core muscles). Have you addressed the issues that caused the hernia in the first place - usually a muscle imbalance? If you've done the conservative route, then surgery might be the best option.

Fix this problem. Don't work around it.

Wannabebig Member
    My Doctor said its a sports hernia ,so I need to get some imaging tests . I 've been doing a series of rehab exercises he gave me like body weight side lunges,hip stretches ect since Dec..but I still get pain the next day. The routine I set up doesnt strain my abs plus I'm making new pr's . I have to get siked up for surgery I heard you cant lift at all for 6 weeks.

My Doctor said its a sports hernia ,so I need to get some imaging tests . I 've been doing a series of rehab exercises he gave me like body weight side lunges,hip stretches ect since Dec..but I still get pain the next day. The routine I set up doesnt strain my abs plus I'm making new pr's . I have to get siked up for surgery I heard you cant lift at all for 6 weeks.
    If you need surgery, get it done. Heck, you can get it done under a local if you want. Being out of training for 6 weeks but coming back 100% is better than training around the issue.

Good luck with everything no matter what you choose to do.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys