The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

If you owned a gym, how would you run it?

what would your ideal gym contain/be like? Aside from specific equipment, what other things would you like to see in your gym?
    I got to thinking about this because having struggled to remaster my deadlift form to my satisfaction I found the Ripptoe posters of starting dead position and realized how useful it would be to see these plastered around the gym. I always thought it would be great if my gym had a restaurant/diner annexed offering meals tailored to gym goers with meals specific to bulkers/cutters/dirty bulkers/ cheaters etc.

What about you guys? Anything you'd like to see in your perfect gym?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yeah, a gym full of intelligent employees, not idiots, as seem to be the case in most all the places I've been.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Like Average Joe's Gym in Dodgeball

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Soilwork addict.
    I would love to have the space for a small strong man gym. It would be invitation only and I would split costs. I wouldnt try to profit. I guess I'm not very business minded haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Get a lot of cardio equipment, charge like $10/month, and then kick people out who grunt or sweat.
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Get a lot of cardio equipment, charge like $10/month, and then kick people out who grunt or sweat.
    The smartest answer yet.
    ďAs to the methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.Ē

See: Iron Sport Gym
    "Take the slow road - don't be the guy "bulking" and "cutting" and "dieting". All of these things fail. It's about a lifestyle."- Jim Wendler

My Log
    http://last.fm/user/dechrizzle
    http://doomisloomis.tumblr.com

Everything that a powerlifter or strongman needs to succeed
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Everything that a powerlifter or strongman needs to succeed and I would play loud music
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

I would have it geared towards powerlifters, strongmen, oly lifters, crossfitters, and other athletes. I would specifically advertise this it is not your average "health and fitness club", and it is specifically geared towards those that want to train for their sport of choice. It would have lots of squat racks, pullup bar, bumper plates, sleds, bands, boards, chains, belts, chalk, tires, atlas stones, a couple cars to pull, heavy bags, speed bags, jump ropes, pylo boxes, etc....

I may even hold MMA classes there too, due to how popular MMA is becoming and more and more people are looking to train these days.

I'd sell supplements and clothing as well for extra money.

There would be at least 2 hot girls working there at all times running the register, and keeping the place clean.

It would be the best gym ever, but unfortunately I probably would lose all my buisness to Planet Fitness and other crappy gyms like that.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Yeah... I'm that awesome. Captain Awesome's Avatar
    There would be a clause in contract stating that if you're caught curling in the squat rack or cage, your contract will be terminated immediately.
    There is no hope for the weak.

Nope, curling in the squat rack would be allowed in my gym, but ONLY if the curler can squat at least 315 for reps. He may even be asked to prove it. Otherwise, no curling in the squat rack!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    I would have it geared towards powerlifters, strongmen, oly lifters, crossfitters, and other athletes. I would specifically advertise this it is not your average "health and fitness club", and it is specifically geared towards those that want to train for their sport of choice. It would have lots of squat racks, pullup bar, bumper plates, sleds, bands, boards, chains, belts, chalk, tires, atlas stones, a couple cars to pull, heavy bags, speed bags, jump ropes, pylo boxes, etc....

I may even hold MMA classes there too, due to how popular MMA is becoming and more and more people are looking to train these days.

I'd sell supplements and clothing as well for extra money.

There would be at least 2 hot girls working there at all times running the register, and keeping the place clean.

It would be the best gym ever, but unfortunately I probably would lose all my buisness to Planet Fitness and other crappy gyms like that.
    Yup, its the sad truth. You could probably do a small studio like that though.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Yeah... I'm that awesome. Captain Awesome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Yup, its the sad truth. You could probably do a small studio like that though.
    This is a powerlifting gym I went to one day to train with one of their lifters: http://www.supremesportspt.com/ Small, but has everything you could ever need, without all the shlt you'll never use. I wish I could train there regularly, but its definitely inconvenient for me. The upside of small gyms like that; everyone there is like family and helps/supports each other.
    Last edited by Captain Awesome; 03-04-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    There is no hope for the weak.

I'm pretty sure I'd run a gym right into the red - I have little sense for money.

But, a latchkey strength "studio" for a small group might break even if you could work out $$ and time slots with enough buddies/teammates/groups. Around here, there's certainly plenty of open commercial space to rent.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Gamer/Lifter
    I don't think you could make $$$ on a true powerlifting gym...I think if you want one of those you should get a group of individuals together and agree to spilt the costs evenly.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."