Thread: Cutting with P90x...

Cutting with P90x...

Have any of you ever tried cutting by using P90x? I just want to try something different and I've heard good things about it. Right now I am 173 lbs and 5'9" with about 15% bf. My bulk took too long as I hit a plateau and found it difficult to pack on more pounds. I figure I don't have much to lose at this point since summer is right around the corner and I may as well cut some weight and start over from scratch. I wouldn't mind leaning out with a lower bf% and start packing on the weight again from there. My only concern with trying to cut with P90x is not so much that I know my strength will go down as I wont be pushing as much weight, but I am worried I will lose my muscle mass. Is it possible to keep the muscle while trying P90x?
    Last edited by Morox; 04-04-2011 at 02:31 AM.

If you've got the equipment/space to do it, crossfit will give you an even tougher strength/met-con workout than p90x and muscle/strength loss shouldn't be an issue. You could cherry pick some strength-oriented workouts from the main website then intermix some more specifically metabolic conditioning workouts to aid your cutting along with the obvious diet changes. Because of the level of intensity crossfit provides, either type of workout (WOD) will benefit the cardio needs during your cut.

I will tell you though that crossfit WODs contain very little bench press but plenty of dips and pushups. I've probably benches 5 times in the last year but my strength on it has been better each time.

There's my .02. Good luck.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Crossfit, if you're going to do something along those lines, would get my vote over P90X as well. With crossfit you're getting deadlifts, squats, and overhead presses.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    I did P90x over last summer with some coworkers (we went to a workout room at a gym near our work at lunch everyday). I lost 20lbs doing P90x with a pretty strict diet and a little extra cardio on the side. If you have weight trained a lot, you will probably lose a little strength. The "strength" days (MWF) are made for someone to do at home so it is a lot of high rep, body weight exercises (chest is mostly pushups/dips, legs a lot of BW/dumbell lunges and wall squats)... back has a ton of pull-ups though so it is a little tougher. I lost a little strength in some areas (legs and chest) and got stronger in some (back and biceps, has a lot of curls too).

The cardio days range from tough (the plyometrics) to pretty easy (the karate one).

Crossfit is certainly an alternative. Another alternative, which I do now, is lift MWF using my own routine and on Tuesday Thursday do Insanity workouts which are a lot harder than the P90x workouts and usually 15 minutes shorter. I would only do that if you are in decent shape already or you might not get that much out of the Insanity workouts.

I will definitely look at Crossfit as an alternative. I am a bit worried about losing a lot of weight. I feel pretty skinny as I stand right now, so I don't really want to lose a whole lot of weight. But I guess it's pretty much inevitable.

Starting over sounds like a real crappy plan to me.
    I'd try to maintain your strength and mass while cutting.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Both P90X and CrossFit are not really set up for hypertrophy, they are both programs that focus on constant activity which in turn will burn a lot of calories. What you could do is mix in some P90X or CrossFit workouts along with some more traditional 'bodybuilding' workouts to give balance between maintaining muscle mass and speeding up your metabolism or burning calories.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Starting over sounds like a real crappy plan to me.
    I'd try to maintain your strength and mass while cutting.
    I didn't mean start over in a traditional sense of letting myself go and picking it all back up. I meant that the weight that I worked for that I put on, I wouldn't mind cutting bf% to get leaner and start packing the pounds on again at the end of summer. As I stand right not, I am pretty skinny but I don't mind dropping a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Morox View Post
    I didn't mean start over in a traditional sense of letting myself go and picking it all back up. I meant that the weight that I worked for that I put on, I wouldn't mind cutting bf% to get leaner and start packing the pounds on again at the end of summer. As I stand right not, I am pretty skinny but I don't mind dropping a bit.
    I would just be careful not to alternate between opposite goals, you may end up looking back after a period of time and realize that you really have not made much progress in either direction.

In general if your goal is to look good then your best bet would be to just eat the right foods and train for hypertrophy.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com