The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Should probably read the article 1st

I should probably read thru the article 1st to see if it answers my question, but I'm lazy today. My question is this: how does this compare to HCT-12 in terms of quickly adding mass? More specifically, if I'm newish to resistance training and I just want to add some quick mass, should I go for DT or HCT? Or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by NITF View Post
    I should probably read thru the article 1st to see if it answers my question, but I'm lazy today. My question is this: how does this compare to HCT-12 in terms of quickly adding mass? More specifically, if I'm newish to resistance training and I just want to add some quick mass, should I go for DT or HCT? Or something else?
    Being new means anything works for the most part. Eating lots and lots of food is the way to add quick mass - although not all of it will be muscle. Chris's DT program looks really interesting though.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NITF View Post
    I agree with Rich that you'll be happy with either workout considering you’re a beginner. CHARISH these immediate results because as you become more experienced these will flat line a bit and then you'll be fighting for every LB of muscle!!

As for the 2 programs, I won't go into much detail because you do need to read the articles, but as a personal recommendation I might recommend the HCT program for you 1st considering it deals with heavy weights, but doesn't go to your 1RM. The reason I say this is because that program will get you used to heavy loads, and you can start to gauge your lifts via its 6RM system. Most importantly this will help you perfect your form. After you get comfortable with the different exercises, then you can start pushing toward your 1RM (using an experienced spotter). I'm sure some others may touch on this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nhernan1986 View Post
    I agree with Rich that you'll be happy with either workout considering you’re a beginner. CHARISH these immediate results because as you become more experienced these will flat line a bit and then you'll be fighting for every LB of muscle!!

As for the 2 programs, I won't go into much detail because you do need to read the articles, but as a personal recommendation I might recommend the HCT program for you 1st considering it deals with heavy weights, but doesn't go to your 1RM. The reason I say this is because that program will get you used to heavy loads, and you can start to gauge your lifts via its 6RM system. Most importantly this will help you perfect your form. After you get comfortable with the different exercises, then you can start pushing toward your 1RM (using an experienced spotter). I'm sure some others may touch on this.
    Wow, I was thinking the difference might come down to something about how the two programs use RMs! Thanks for the feedback!

Banned
    Looks like you believe heavily in rest paused...

HCT-12 and now this, I like it! Requires tons of eating though!

Now the 15/8 reps for the rest pausing...this is just a guideline right? I mean if you target 15, and only get 13, that's ok right? Maybe the article should list a range if this is the case?

Actually this program looks like DC training but you get to max effort the movement before rest pausing it. And instead of rotating 3 lifts through 2 weeks, you rotate lifts every 4th week. I like this because I think you can progress easier on a given lift if doing it every week.

My only question mark is this...

DC is a very demanding program and with DC you get 1-2 days extra rest between body parts. Also on DC, you are only training one body part to failure per time in the gym. On this routine, you are taking one body part to failure then it appears that you are doing another related exercise for 2x15, but not to failure? Or is that to failure to?
    Last edited by mchicia1; 03-06-2011 at 08:07 PM.

I wanted to bump this as I finally got the article link on the forums.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Really enjoyed this training system Thanks for putting it up author!
    MMA: AFL's UK Bantamweight Champion (AKA: AFL UK Skinny Bastard Champion)

Quote Originally Posted by Reala View Post
    Really enjoyed this training system Thanks for putting it up author!
    You're welcome!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member iron-gladiator's Avatar
    Chris, how about switching the ME exercises every week?
    If the reps are prescribed i.e. 2x20 it means straight sets (not rest-paused) right?

Thanks!

Wannabebig Member
    To add a question really late... How much conditioning can one afford on this program, or, if necessary, a like program with not quite so much volume in assistance exercises?

Right, the 2 x 20 are straight sets. As this is a bodybuilding focused program I would not switch ME exercises every week.

Not much. This program is VERY intense and hard on the body. Any conditioning work done would have to be restorative in nature and not really taxing in and of itself.

Wannabebig Member
    Wow. I've only done two sessions with a ME and then rest-pause movements so far, but they whoop you! And I haven't even done all the prescribed assistance work for this program either (it'd be too much for me right now).

Wannabebig Member
    Here's a question for everyone out there-

How do you decide upon your weights for rest-pause? What percentage of your 1RM do you like for upper and lower body movements?

Wannabebig Member
    Would it be acceptable to replace a ME pulling lift (e.g. weighted pull-ups) with a static hold from time to time?