Thread: Thoughts on what the hell happened to me?

Banned

Thoughts on what the hell happened to me?

Did my normal leg routine, which consisted of heavy squats singles up to 375 than some accessory work like leg curls and cybex leg press. I push it hard on legs, so obviously my heart was racing after the workout, but nothing out of the ordinary. I got home around 8:30 and just sat on the couch as relaxed as can be.

At 11:30 still as relaxed as can be, I suddenly feel my entire jaw go partially numb...like I could still move it, but it was tingling. Then I couldn't breathe right....it felt like how you breathe after a widowmaker set, but would NOT get better. I figured I would sit down and try to breathe easy and don't move to see if it gets better. 20 minutes passed and it didn't get better. So we figured lets at least drive to the hospital, it may get better on the way and we can turn around. NOPE, it gets WORSE. It got so bad, that I could not even swallow....to the point where getting any kind of air in was DIFFICULT. I actually called 911 from our car because I wasn't sure I was going to make it but they informed me that we were only 1 mile from the hospital.

So I arrive at the hospital...they took my blood, urine, gave me an ekg, gave me a cat scan and an x-ray and did not find anything out of the ordinary. I was there from 12:00 - 5:15 and I did not start breathing normally until 3:00, so whatever it was, it was not fast acting. I did not eat anything out of the ordinary and took all my normal supplements, which really is just creatine and 2 caps of green tea extract (1 serving). At first I thought it could have been the caffeine combined with intense lifting, but why 3 hours after the workout? I do have a history of asthma as a child, but I literally have not needed an inhaler since I was 14 and I am 28 now. In college, I played D1 baseball, and they would beat THE FUCK out of us in conditioning...make you run until you puke/pass out, get up and run some more, and I would get through those with no problems at all and be fine. That is why I am concerned about this. Anyone ever experience something like this? First step is to go to my family doctor and make sure my asthma did not manifest itself again.

Panic/anxiety attack? I get anxiety atttacks and when I got my first one I went to hospital thinking I was having a heart attack or something. As I got closer to the hospital it got worse as the panic and anxiety was increasing and also got told there was nothing wrong. Not saying this is what you had as the symptoms could possibly match anything else but just a thought.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Garage Lifter
    very weird, any swellling of the throat?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by geordie1986 View Post
    Panic/anxiety attack? I get anxiety atttacks and when I got my first one I went to hospital thinking I was having a heart attack or something. As I got closer to the hospital it got worse as the panic and anxiety was increasing and also got told there was nothing wrong. Not saying this is what you had as the symptoms could possibly match anything else but just a thought.
    I have never had a panic attack in my life and it was just like any other day...I worked at my relatively stress free job, worked out hard at the gym, then just relaxed and watched sports. I think in the car, I started having anxiety because I couldn't breathe and that made it even worse. But I seriously have no clue what triggered it. Even today, it still feels a little off....not 100% breathing normally.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    very weird, any swellling of the throat?
    It was hard to swallow, so I assume my throat was narrower than normal. The hospital kind of sucked...didn't really tell me shit.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 09-29-2011 at 12:40 PM.

You have a history of asthma...that'd probably be a good place to start I'd imagine.

Sounds like a more serious medical condition though. I'd be cautious taking advice from a web forum.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Been tested for any allergies?

Go to your doctor:

Bring him a paper with everything you just wrote. Make sure he asks you about medication/previous conditions you've had. Make sure he asks you about your family history and diet/exercise level.

Make sure you tell him what you think you're experiencing and what you think you need. You might be disapointed with the diagnosis, but try to get a decent explanation as well as a method of treatment/a program of tests for the next few weeks/months. You're probably disapointed with the hospital: but the problem here is you probably had nothing serious by their standards (think ABC -> airway, breathing, circulation, you had nothing threatening) and they didn't have the time/ressources to handle your case thoroughly. Make sure your doctor does.

I had a VERY similar experience to this when I was 17(I'm 21 now). I was just doing what you were doing, relaxing on the sofa watching some T.V, when suddenly my face felt numb, my breathing also felt way off, like it was hard to breath but my airway was still very much open-heart started racing and pounding-I thought I was dying. My experience did not last nearly as long as your's though, probably 5 to 10 minutes, I eventually calmed myself down and took deep breaths. I never saw a doctor but did a little research and dismissed this as a panic attack. Since that happened I have had a few more panic attacks completely out of the blue, but not in a long time now. I'm not saying that this is what happened to you, or to not see a doctor, but this just sounds so similar to what happened to me I had to share.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobH View Post
    I had a VERY similar experience to this when I was 17(I'm 21 now). I was just doing what you were doing, relaxing on the sofa watching some T.V, when suddenly my face felt numb, my breathing also felt way off, like it was hard to breath but my airway was still very much open-heart started racing and pounding-I thought I was dying. My experience did not last nearly as long as your's though, probably 5 to 10 minutes, I eventually calmed myself down and took deep breaths. I never saw a doctor but did a little research and dismissed this as a panic attack. Since that happened I have had a few more panic attacks completely out of the blue, but not in a long time now. I'm not saying that this is what happened to you, or to not see a doctor, but this just sounds so similar to what happened to me I had to share.
    Yup all signs pointing towards panic attack. My friend is a doctor and said it is normal for panic attacks to happen for no reason at all. If I had known all I had to do was wait it out, I would have never gone, but since I have never had one I just feared the worst. Hopefully I don't get assraped on the costs from this. A cat scan is pretty expensive, I hope my insurance steps up.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 09-29-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Let your doctor diagnose this.

My thought is also panic attack.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    At 11:30 still as relaxed as can be, I suddenly feel my entire jaw go partially numb...like I could still move it, but it was tingling. Then I couldn't breathe right....it felt like how you breathe after a widowmaker set, but would NOT get better. I figured I would sit down and try to breathe easy and don't move to see if it gets better. 20 minutes passed and it didn't get better. So we figured lets at least drive to the hospital, it may get better on the way and we can turn around. NOPE, it gets WORSE. It got so bad, that I could not even swallow....to the point where getting any kind of air in was DIFFICULT.
    Obviously the history of asthma is something you'll want to check out. It does sound an awful lot like a panic attack. Couple of questions, though. Did you have any problems with your vision? Tunnel vision or distorted at all? Any sort of sense of unreality or a weird detachment? Sweating or racing heart or palpitations (the heart "skipping" a beat)?

Also, did they give you any medication of any sort at the hospital?

Wannabebig New Member
    that is a panic attack,not anxiety...i suffer from ithem and they are terrifying,i dont wish them to my worst enemy..but what does help is to always remember that you can never die from a panic attack,it helps because you think your dieing but nobody ever died from one,also carry a xanax with you even if you dont take it you will feel safe with it on you.