The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Can More be MORE?

Hi y'alls!

I do mixed martial arts and am used to spending about 2-3 hours a day in training. On top of that, I do 2 kettlebell sessions and 2 days of cardio.

Or DID to be precise.

Broke my foot a couple of months back, and won't be cleared to train for another 2-3 months. I can, however, run, swim and do weights. I've been browsing the site and the routines I've found seem to focus on relatively short periods in the gym. I'm assuming we could go beyond the traditional routines that seem to be catered to people who do not have the luxury of training all day, sleeping as much as they want and having the convenience to eat exactly what they need to, when they need to.

My questions are...

a) Given 12 hours a day available to train (uni holidays), is there a maximum OPTIMAL training load one could take on (weights + cardio) that goes beyond the traditional routines? I'm looking to cut 17lbs of fat in 8 weeks (currently 209lbs, ~22% bf).

I'm somewhat limited in my ability to do Crossfit/P90X since I can't do jumping exercises or too much sprinting. I'm still wondering if I should modify that, or if we could do EVEN better.

b) Is there a supplementation regime that may assist with that? (I'm primarily thinking of recovery to accomodate the increased intensity) (I'm thinking Glutamine, Omega-3 and GPLC?)

Appreciate your input. Cheers!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It all depends on your goals. If you are looking to get big and strong, then you'll have to use some big intensity and there is a limit to how much intensity you can take. But if you are looking to increase your conditioning, then the intensity can be lower and you can train longer and more often. The traditional routines are set up that way because they work, not because of time constraints.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    The routines are set up the wayy they are with reasoning bbehind them. They aren't set up by professionals with them thinking the person who is going to execute them is going to spend a lazy hour in the gym on limited rest and supplementation. They aren't set up any other way except at an attempt for optimal training performance.

Wannabebig Member
    I see what you're saying and my understanding is that for strength/muscle gains, there is only a certain amount of stimulation the body can accomodate.

However, I'm looking to cut the fat I've put on while debilitated and am basically trying to mimic the high volume/intensity/conditioning of my martial arts training within a weights-cardio setting, something I have not done before. Since you guys must be more well-versed in how exactly the body responds in this more controllable environment, I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to incorporate the same fluctuations between aerobic and anaerobic exertion with similar caloric expenditure into a daily routine.

To my understanding, 2 hours of cardio would be ridiculously catabolic (and boring), 2 hours of HIIT would be pretty impossible, 2 hours of circuit training might be a good idea (and I'm open to suggestions). My best guess would be circuit training + cardio (i.e. complete one circuit, cardio 20-30 mins, complete one circuit, cardio again). What are your thoughts?

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Metabolic conditioning like a CrossFit regiment with a caloric/fat deficit might be your aim. A lot of losing weight and cutting fat has to do with your diet, not how much or what you do with your training.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    Or alternatively... a 4 day split with an hour of cardio daily?

I'm just concerned about catabolism.
    Last edited by ruggerfcuk; 10-23-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    Metabolic conditioning like a CrossFit regiment with a caloric/fat deficit might be your aim. A lot of losing weight and cutting fat has to do with your diet, not how much or what you do with your training.
    Totally agree. However, from personal experience, my body composition and strength has always responded much more favourably from higher training volume + higher caloric consumption vs lower training volume + lower caloric consumption (assuming in both cases that I am still 500 calories below AMR and eating 80% clean).

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    Exactly. That gets my vote.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!