Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New article - Dysmorphia Training (DT) questions

New article - Dysmorphia Training (DT) questions

This thread will be for questions about our new article on DT training.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    I'll be starting next week with 2 guys I'm training. Thanks Chris for the time and efforts put forth in your article.

1st Q: 2 of us (including myself) are looking for maximum gains at this moment (nutrition is reflecting these goals consuming 4500-5500 calories) with the intention of cutting later. The other is 5'8 205lbs (thick) and is looking to balance the fine line of hypertrophy/fat loss so he is eating just above maintenance (3000-3500). Would this meet your recommendations?

2nd Q- Being in the military, we need to be in good cardiovascular shape. How do you feel about us adding in cardio to your routine? Plus I use it to control bf% increase (6'2'' 225lbs, 16%bf via calipers). Recommendations?

3rd Q- I do not have any access to bands, we could order some, but how much would you prioritize them for your routine? I've never used them, so if they are a strong recommendation, then we will give it a go. If we could get away with not using them, then that would be our preference. Let me know!!

What turned me on so much to WBB and Atlargenutrition is how involved the founders/owners are with their clients. Try emailing the owner of GNC in the manner we communicate together here and see how far you get. Been on here for a couple of months, and we have a plethora of experience/knowledge to share together between all the members. GREAT FORUM AND PRODUCTS!!! We will post our gains monthly here as a testimonial.
    Last edited by nhernan1986; 03-03-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks for your kind words.

For maximum results you want a higher caloric intake, but you can do the program at or around maintenance and experience better results than you would with other programs.

For conditioning I would skip pure cardio, but add in some light sled pulling for say 3 x 3 minute intervals.

The bands are really a must in my opinion. They are pretty inexpensive.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I can't wait to read it...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Amazing article. Definitely giving this a go after i've got what i feel i can from HCT-12.
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Where are you guys reading the article?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

On the wannabebig home page mate - http://www.wannabebig.com/training/dysmorphia-training/
    Last edited by Kong; 03-03-2011 at 08:36 PM.

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Thank you.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Lol, it still has a lot of errors that need to be fixed (like the quotes beneath the pictures) and we need to get it linked to on the forums. Patience .

Banned
    Ive already been trying to incorporate some of these ideas into my training based on what I had heard about this type of training. Now that its here, hopefully I can do so more intelligently. I think this is going to be a really great system for those of us that are using the Westside principles but aren't powerlifters.

Looking forward to seeing others jump on board.

Thar was a cool read. Nice job Chris.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Where would i incorporate clean and press as i really fell this exercise benefits me

Kong, you can use it as an ME exercise on any given week in lieu of your chest pressing variations.

It seems that all the "optimal" training systems require a gym membership or possibly several in order to have enough variety. Hard to do this stuff in a home gym, but perhaps I'm limiting myself with that thinking.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Thanks chris

Wannabebig Member
    Unless I am mistaken, I looked through the exercises and didn't see one of the main compound movements- Deadlifts? I see a lot of variations of rows, but no deadlifts? Out of curiosity was there a reason that you didn't include them?

Link doesn't work for me
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    It seems that all the "optimal" training systems require a gym membership or possibly several in order to have enough variety. Hard to do this stuff in a home gym, but perhaps I'm limiting myself with that thinking.
    Optimal is a relative term, and is completely unattainable. Optimal would be you having no stressors in your life outside of the gym. You'd wake up, drink a gallon of milk from the cow in your back yard, and then start training. You'd have 30 minute rest breaks when needed, and someone to massage you between sets. Creatine and carbohydrates would be induced through an IV throughout the day.

So ya, its relative. What is optimal for you training at home, is different than if you trained in a gym, and still different than if you trained in a different gym. You make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by nhernan1986 View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, I looked through the exercises and didn't see one of the main compound movements- Deadlifts? I see a lot of variations of rows, but no deadlifts? Out of curiosity was there a reason that you didn't include them?
    Oh my God!!!! WTF!!!! The program will NEVER work!!!!!!!!!

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Lol, ah, just a little fun. There are stiff legged deadlifts in the routine. The difference between them and regular deads is quad drive. You get PLENTY of quad work with this program.

Trust me, you will grow like a weed if you follow the program as written, eat enough to support the growth it will stimulate, and take the supps I recommend.

Chris,

I really like the article and the routine. I'm not 100% familiar with the % used with DT , but with the paused reps what % of the max are we talking. 90-95%? Example, last week I hit a new Box Squat PR of 415, would I drop to 375 ish? or keep in the 400s. I know this question is kind of ridiculous.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Oh my God!!!! WTF!!!! The program will NEVER work!!!!!!!!!

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
    Don't know what supplements your taking that caused this ^^^^^^^^^^^^ but send me a PM ASAP lmao...

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Lol, ah, just a little fun. There are stiff legged deadlifts in the routine. The difference between them and regular deads is quad drive. You get PLENTY of quad work with this program.

Trust me, you will grow like a weed if you follow the program as written, eat enough to support the growth it will stimulate, and take the supps I recommend.
    Sounds good and thanks.
    Last edited by nhernan1986; 03-05-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    Chris,

I really like the article and the routine. I'm not 100% familiar with the % used with DT , but with the paused reps what % of the max are we talking. 90-95%? Example, last week I hit a new Box Squat PR of 415, would I drop to 375 ish? or keep in the 400s. I know this question is kind of ridiculous.
    The first training day by body part applies the ME system (warming up to a 1RM) followed by a RP set with the same exercise. The RP format will consist of 15 reps to failure for upper body exercises and 8 reps to failure for lower body exercises, followed by a 20-second rest and then a second attempt with the same load to failure. After another 20-second break, a third and final attempt to failure will be performed. For most trainees (using the upper body rep scheme), the second set will net 4-6 reps and the third, 2-4 reps. This style of training REQUIRES the use of a competent spotter and should not be attempted without one (unless you are using a selectorized exercise machine).

^^ This was directly out of the article. So to answer your question, use a weight that would cause you to reach concentric failure by the 8th rep since your asking about squats.
    Last edited by nhernan1986; 03-05-2011 at 09:53 AM.

guess i missed that, thank you!
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    Chris,

Mike, for which part of the routine are you asking?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by nhernan1986 View Post
    The first training day by body part applies the ME system (warming up to a 1RM) followed by a RP set with the same exercise. The RP format will consist of 15 reps to failure for upper body exercises and 8 reps to failure for lower body exercises, followed by a 20-second rest and then a second attempt with the same load to failure. After another 20-second break, a third and final attempt to failure will be performed. For most trainees (using the upper body rep scheme), the second set will net 4-6 reps and the third, 2-4 reps. This style of training REQUIRES the use of a competent spotter and should not be attempted without one (unless you are using a selectorized exercise machine).

^^ This was directly out of the article. So to answer your question, use a weight that would cause you to reach concentric failure by the 8th rep since your asking about squats.
    Thanks. That is why I was confused what he was asking.