Thread: Reverse Bench Press

Hybrid View

Reverse Bench Press

What does it do. Does it target one area more then another, or take out a certain muscle group a little bit?

Ecoli die
    I'm confused, do you mean negative reps on the bench or BB rows?

I think negative bench reps are used a lot to bring your muscles further into failure (i.e. you get to failure with positive reps then do a couple negatives to really push that muscle).
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

I use reverse BP for tris...works quite well.

negative reps? no. rows? no. I mean reverse grip bench press...

Ecoli die
    Ahhh, never seen that.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

I think it works great for triceps.

I do an excercise which we call Reverse Bench. It is a raised bench about three feet high. There is a rack for resting the barbell. Lying on my stomach I reach down and take the bar off the rack and lift until it touches the bottom of the bench and then let it down. That's one rep. It's a rowing movement, so it's gonna work your back mostly.

bone crusher
    no i think he is talking about reverse grip bench
    you would grip the bb like a curlbar but do a pressing motion

heath i see people doing it but I fail to see how it provides benefit

works the triceps extremely well, I'd recommend a spotter ; )
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Is that not a skull crushing movemnet type of thing then?? Or is the weight being dropped to the chest??

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    reverse grip bencing = ace. Look in my journal for details. Definetly feel it in triceps. I remember the first couple times I did it, I talked about how much I felt it in the tris and you told me to wait a few times to see if my body adapted. Personally, it didn't adapt very much, still feel it in my tri's. I highly reccomend it. I do close-grip-reverse-grip benching

Accipiter, i totally agree with you...if you get your hands placed just right it feels very nice.

Anthony Clark the world record holder for the bench press uses a reverse grip(780lbs)

Originally posted by Kayak_boy
    Is that not a skull crushing movemnet type of thing then?? Or is the weight being dropped to the chest??
    Directly down to your chest, just like regular bench press.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    hollowmedia how do you figure? I can't think of a single basis for that statement

I agree with pretty much everything Hollow said...never seen a reason for this exercise...seems potentially dangerous and I don't see anything miraculous going on for your tris from it.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

really hollow? So how big are you? and actually that weight is wrong, I'm 175 not 165, and by the way, note the 7% bf next to that weight. I'm gonna resist starting a flame-war over this. Let me just say that my tri's are the strongest part on me, and that I don't see any danger in doing reverse-grip-close-grip benching. I've seen singificant growth on them since I started doing r.g.c.g. benching. If those gains stop, I'll switch up exercises.

Back to the question.
    Reverse grip bench is done with a generally wide grip. You bring the bar down pretty much the same as a standard bench and press it up. You might end up bringing it a bit lower on your chest/abs then you usually do. It works the tris and shoulders really good i find, also seems like your lats lift up a bunch of the weight at the bottom of the movement. If your going anywheres near failor or heavy then definatly have a spotter for this because if the weight starts going down it dives for your head.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

it worked great 4 me
    Started Lifting Again!
    Msn Messenger: delveyboy@hotmail.com
    Im always pissed off and have occasional peaceful spells - By MrWebb78
    Nothing says masculin like a dump on the floor - by Intensity

Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar
    This is from the exercise descriptions on abcbodybuilding.com. The author suggests that close grip bench presses are one of the better exercises for tris and this is a variation used to "shock" the tris. Sounds like rather than replacing any of the traditional exercises like skulls, pressdowns, close grip press, he thinks this is a nice change-up once in while. It doesn't sound like he is recommending this as a basic exercise for most routines.

"Implementation: (A) I prefer a cambered or easy curl bar with this one, but you can use whatever you feel most comfortable with. Use a grip with your hands that is 4-8 inches apart. This grip places much greater stress onto your triceps. You will be using a reverse grip here, normally your palms would be turned away from you, here they will be facing you. So a palms turned inward grip (B) Keeping your shoulder blades tight into each other press the weight up and down like a normal bench press. There should be absolutely no cheating here! Concentrate heavily on your triceps, feeling them contract on each press."

Just found it interesting to run around the Internet and look for this. I'm not nearly experienced enough to use a specialized exercise like this (would probably crush myself!).

JPC
    Last edited by JohnCollins; 05-22-2002 at 04:55 AM.

Heath just try them for a few workouts first and leave out one of those excercises, doesn't really matter which one at first. If you like them then figure out which other excercise that will need a drop outta the routine.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

i tried this the other day, sparked some interest because of this thread minus the gay peeps.

i felt like a little girl, is was hella much harder than normal b'press, seemed to work ok but i dont think ill use them.
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane