Thread: If at first you don't succeed....

Wannabebig Member

If at first you don't succeed....

I'm back. I'm not exactly sure what happened or why I stopped. February 23rd, 2011 was the last workout I entered. I had recently moved in with a couple of friends, after living basically on my own, so perhaps I was having a bit too much fun.

So much has changed.

My job. I used to work random, crazy hours. Now, I work M-F, morning to afternoon. I am a high-level manager with my company, so really my work doesn't end when I leave the office. From a scheduling standpoint, it should be easier for me to get in a routine. My job is much more sedentary than in the past. Much of my day is spent at a desk, or in meetings, or on the phone. To mix things up, I'm going to start taking small walks throughout the day. Something is better than nothing.

My life. I've married the woman I was dating when I last recorded a workout. We've now been together for 10 years, married for 3 in June. I have a dog. He's the best and gets left alone when my wife and I go to work. I feel guilty for coming home, and leaving him almost immediately to hit the gym. For this reason, I will ultimately attempt to conduct workouts in the morning before work, rather than after. This is difficult for me because I am not a morning person.

My house. My wife and I bought a big house in the suburbs. It's a beautiful neighborhood, but the yard work seemingly never ends. I'm going to need to find a balance.

My weight. When I last posted here, I was around 205lbs. Now I am 245. I didn't gain muscle, just fat around my mid-section. My poor eating habits back in 2011 was that I ate too much fast food. That continued after I stopped working out regularly and it wasn't until my jeans stopped fitting that I realized what was going on. I stepped on the scale and noticed how heavy I was (245); since then, I've done much better with eating. Still not great, but better. Without really working out, my weight has plateaued.

My goals. I used to have a goal of looking like Ryan Reynolds did in Amityville Horror. Now, while my goals are still somewhat about vanity (who doesn't want to look good?), it's more about health. I'm 30 years old now and looking to start a family. Getting down to a muscular 205, with 10% body fat is my initial goal.

Looking back at my old journal, that lasted about 22 days, I saw a bunch of excuses. I've signed up for my local gym. I'm ready to do this again. No excuses. I don't know who reads these things, but if you have any advice as I go along, please feel free to let me know. I'm all ears.

This evening will be my first workout, at a brand-new, unfamiliar gym. It will be a feeling out process, but I feel that once I get my rhythm, I'll be hard to stop.

Edit:I should probably mention that I'm doing the HCT-12 workout with the A/B/A rotation to start. May possibly switch to A/B/A/B as I advance, but that's to be determined.
    Last edited by matthewalan8; 05-19-2015 at 09:04 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    DAY 1

First day in my new routine. First day in a brand-new gym. It took a bit of extra time, awkwardly walking around trying to locate all the equipment that I was looking for. Overall, I worked fairly hard but it wasn't my best. Just wanted to get my feet wet to start building the confidence. One thing for sure is, I am weak. I will change that.

Flat Bench
    95 x 6
    115 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Pull-Ups (Machine Assisted)
    This is a machine that you decide how much weight is counteracting your body weight. The lower the number the better as that is more of your own body weight that you are lifting.

145 x 6
    130 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Triceps, Overhead Dumbbell Press
    20 x 1
    15 x 6
    17.5 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

One-Arm Dumbbell Rows
    20 x 6
    30 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Overhead Dumbbell Press
    20 x 6
    25 x 6
    30 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

That's it! Nothing major, but just getting warmed up.

Wannabebig Member
    DAY 2

The gym is still new to me, and it's pretty small but it's what I've got available to me in my area. Spent a lot of time walking around looking for machines and also waiting for areas to be open, but that should improve as I learn the gym's layout. I took it easy with squats because I've always had knee trouble, so I didn't want to push it right away. I really felt the deadlifts and barely was able to complete my final couple of reps.

Squats - Started off with an assisted squat rack (noted with a *), then switched to a real squat rack when it was available.
    70* x 6
    90* x 6
    110* x 6
    95 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Calf Press
    70 x 6
    120 x 6
    140 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Deadlift
    45 x 6
    95 x 6
    115 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Bicep Curls
    50 x 6
    60 x 6
    70 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Abs - Used this ab-rocker machine that worked abs+quads, and really felt it.
    30 x 6
    60 x 6
    90 x 6
    120 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Wannabebig Member
    DAY 3

Was able to leave work early today and make it to the gym before it got busy and boy was that nice. I was able to quickly get through my workout and really went after it today. All workouts today were personal bests (recent bests).

Flat Bench
    95 x 6
    115 x 6
    135 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Assisted Pull Up
    130 x 6
    115 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Overhead Barbell Press
    45 x 6
    55 x 6
    65 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

One-Arm Dumbbell Rows
    30 x 6
    35 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Assisted Dips (Same Machine as Pull-ups, lower the number the harder the workout)
    130 x 6
    115 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2