Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions on gluten free diet

Wannabebig Member

opinions on gluten free diet

hey everyone ive been doing some reading on the gluten free diet and the theories behind it. i DO NOT have celiacs disease but i have been interested in the diet mainly because of my inability to gain weight. i also eat pretty clean(aka whole foods) but am not afraid to have a snack or processed food. You may jump straight to the point that i am not eating enough to gain weight, and you may be right. but i really have a hard time believing that im not eating enough even to see a small increase in weight, which i have not in the past year. One thing ive heard about gluten is that it acts almost like a paste in your intestines that blocks your food from digesting properly and not allowing as much of the nutrients to be absorbed by the body. Is there any truth to this? what are your opinions?

If this is true, could it explain why most of my food just passes through me and not going to repairing and building muscle?

Banned
    believe it, youre not eating enough. why would you be an exception to the same rules that apply to every other species on the planet?

if you cant gain any weight, youre obviously not tracking your calories/quantities to the extent of knowing whether or not you have reached your necessary calorie levels.
    Last edited by f=ma; 03-13-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    the only reason why im skeptical is that ive talked to a few people who have actually gained weight when going gluten free. didnt know if i might just react like they had

Banned
    go for it.

my question to you and them is why would a gluten free diet, given identical calorie levels, allow one to gain weight over a non-gluten free diet?
    Last edited by f=ma; 03-13-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    im not certain, but,
    One thing ive heard about gluten is that it acts almost like a paste in your intestines that blocks your food from digesting properly and not allowing as much of the nutrients to be absorbed by the body.

Gluten doesn't act like a paste in your intestines. Do you hear crackling noises coming from inside when you bend over? I didn't think so. But, I don't see anything wrong with going gluten free. It really serves no nutritional purpose, but it does make your pizza crust chewier. You're not going to instantly start putting on weight just by not eating gluten.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDS View Post
    Gluten doesn't act like a paste in your intestines. Do you hear crackling noises coming from inside when you bend over? I didn't think so. But, I don't see anything wrong with going gluten free. It really serves no nutritional purpose, but it does make your pizza crust chewier. You're not going to instantly start putting on weight just by not eating gluten.
    i dont think you understand the analogy. by paste, i intended that it blocks the nutrients from being absorbed as well as they should be. and i also did not suggest that i will put mass on quickly by eating gluten free, just questioned if it would help

by paste, i intended that it blocks the nutrients from being absorbed as well as they should be
    Never heard anything like this. Are you able to provide any credible source(s)?

As the above posters have said, going gluten free is not your answer. Eating more calories is.

Wannabebig Member

Banned
    just pick up the fork man

its not the gluten

Wannabebig Member
    lol fair enough

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I love this board.

Even if you're theory on gluten was true, you could simply eat more to compensate. If it was blocking all your food, you'd be dead.

Good luck alphagoose!

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Banned
    Nobody has asked the question.

Are you crapping more than 2-3x per day?

paste not spackle, sheesh.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    I love this board.

Even if you're theory on gluten was true, you could simply eat more to compensate. If it was blocking all your food, you'd be dead.

Good luck alphagoose!
    thank you. yea im not saying its true, just a thought. and it could be possible that it was partially blocking food instead of all of it

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Nobody has asked the question.

Are you crapping more than 2-3x per day?
    at least once, sometimes twice

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    thank you! lol

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    Would spackle harden at 98.6?

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    just pick up the fork man

its not the gluten

The stuff that gets said around here sometimes is mind blowing lol. I've put 90 lbs on my frame on a super ultra bulk that lasted a few years. Did I give a **** about gluten? Hell no!

Quit being a baby and eat some damn food. Stop with the gluten nonsense, its only an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    I love this board.

Good luck alphagoose!
    LOL, exactly.

I'm surprised no one has asked to see the OP's diet.

So, what exactly are you eating now that you cant seem to gain weight on?? Lets start there.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Wannabebig Member
    no need to call me a baby, i do agree i need to eat more. i did not intend this to be an excuse that im not gaining weight. this thread was supposed to be more about seeing if anyone had though about this theory
    Last edited by alphagoose; 03-14-2011 at 08:48 PM.

So you're not even going to tell us what you're eating?

I apologize for calling you a baby...

But you're definitely making excuses...

Quote Originally Posted by alphagoose View Post
    You may jump straight to the point that i am not eating enough to gain weight, and you may be right. but i really have a hard time believing that im not eating enough even to see a small increase in weight, which i have not in the past year
    Last edited by jAy_Dub; 03-14-2011 at 08:52 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Would spackle harden at 98.6?
    lol as long as its above 50F you're good, its water based so higher the temp, less time you have to work with it. Definitely don't dry wall your intestines though.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    365 Front Squat

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    So you're not even going to tell us what you're eating?

I apologize for calling you a baby...

But you're definitely making excuses...
    your right, i did say that. but you shouldnt be so quick to shut down the idea. im not saying its right or wrong i was just putting an idea out there. and everyone is different. i myself gained 25 pounds in two years...and thats been a real struggle. so i do need to eat more, but what if what i was currently eating enough, but too much of those calories werent being absorbed because of this theory. just a thought...

i never gained so much weight so fast as i did when i ate pb&j 4 times a day. go eat some food, double your intake of whatever you eat now.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    365 Front Squat

Quote Originally Posted by alphagoose View Post
    your right, i did say that. but you shouldnt be so quick to shut down the idea. im not saying its right or wrong i was just putting an idea out there. and everyone is different. i myself gained 25 pounds in two years...and thats been a real struggle. so i do need to eat more, but what if what i was currently eating enough, but too much of those calories werent being absorbed because of this theory. just a thought...
    LOL

You might as well have just written blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

I see no diet here. You obviously dont care about getting help and putting in real work to get results.

I hope you're in a great financial position cuz that gluten free stuff is pricey $$

Have fun!