The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Weak squats.

Weak squats.

Hey guys.
    I weight 270 lbs I'm 6'4. My deadlift is 500 lbs. My bench is 320 lbs. But my squat below parallel is a very weak 285 lbs. (and when I go that high I'm litterally praying I can get back up when I squat down.)

I'm wondering why there is such a massive difference between my squat and deadlift numbers. I've been doing both for the same amount of time. (5 years)

I try different stances. Chairs. assist exercises. Eating more, resting more. I am really starting to enjoy legs. I did them for my day 1 on this program Im on. (which hits legs once per week.)

Any ideas? questions? tips? relative stories?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

We need to see a video.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Banned
    Your long legs are probably putting you into a mechanically inefficient position at the bottom of the hole. I bet you can squat a ton more if you did slightly above parallel squats. It took me a lonnnngggg ass time to get to 375 on the squat, but I hit my 500 deadlift with a lot less focus and training and it was pretty easy.

Post a video and maybe we can find something.

In general, us tall guys need EXTREMELY strong lower backs to squat big poundages. Well that applies to everyone really, but more so for us taller guys. The reason for this is we have a much more extreme back angle when we hit parallel. What has helped me lately on my squat:

1) Squatting twice a week. I squat as a warm up before deadlift day...I might do 3 sets of 135 or something.
    2) Good mornings
    3) Heavy walking lunges. These are amazing for loosening up the hips. I do them before every workout, upper or lower.

I have been stuck at 375 for a year but I am feeling 405 in the near future. Just keep working at it.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 03-13-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Wow we are very similar in size and lifts. I'm very greatful for your reply
    I will try your tips and try to get a vid. I'm also envious of your squat #

Also how does your squat weight ramping go?

Work on rep strength.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

An article I wrote a while back that might be informational to you: http://davedraper.com/blog/2009/09/1...squatting-dud/
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBish View Post
    Also how does your squat weight ramping go?
    I do HCT-12, so just enough to hit a 6RM for that day. Some days it takes me 3-4 sets...other days I will even warm up with 10+ sets, but light weight. Depends how tight I am feeling. For me, if my hips and hamstrings are tight, my numbers drop big time.

Another thing...make sure you keep your upper back tight. Really wedge the bar back there and squeeze your scapula together. Pull your hands as close together as you can. For me, I worked my way up to ring finger on the rings. The weight feels much more secure when you do this.

I'm 6'4 and have the same problem. My bench is disproportionately high because I've only been squatting and deadlifting for 3 years. At first my squat and deadlift were moving up at the same rate (I started off both at 135 lbs). Around 250 lbs I started having a lot of form issues progressing with squats. Anytime I would go for a 1-3 rep max type set I would find myself getting in maybe 1 good rep and then not getting all the way to parallel. With deadlift I have pretty long arms so I don't need to use a lot of legs in my lift. I've made pretty much no progress in my squat over the past 2 years. Every time I start building back up I either start running into lower back pain issues or just hit a wall I can't move past and then try moving the weight down and ramping back up. I'm debating starting to wear a belt for my heavy sets, but I don't know if that would help at all and I wanted to avoid using a belt unless I was squatting 400+ or deadlifting 500+.

Currently I'm doing 5/3/1 but I'm adding in squats after deadlifts on my deadlift day as well (just doing 3x5). I'm hoping doing them more than once a week will help. I'd really just be happy if I could squat 315 for 3-5 reps. It's the only one of my lifts that I'm a little embarrassed about, especially when I see guys a lot smaller than me squatting a lot more than I can at the gym.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

awesome article!

Ya, stefan.. i hate seeing little guys pounding out reps of 225 like its tit. I'm gonna try for more reps more frequency. and doing all the little tips you guys mentioned. especially from that article

Hey guys.
    I weight 270 lbs I'm 6'4. My deadlift is 500 lbs. My bench is 320 lbs. But my squat below parallel is a very weak 285 lbs. (and when I go that high I'm litterally praying I can get back up when I squat down.)

I'm wondering why there is such a massive difference between my squat and deadlift numbers. I've been doing both for the same amount of time. (5 years)

I try different stances. Chairs. assist exercises. Eating more, resting more. I am really starting to enjoy legs. I did them for my day 1 on this program Im on. (which hits legs once per week.)

Any ideas? questions? tips? relative stories?
    Hey ViciousBish,
    You should choose the best one routine for yourself and first of all know deeply about that one and than start it with some sort of the daily routine and don't make any kind of the cheat on daily basis.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SMK41 View Post
    I'm 6'4 and have the same problem. My bench is disproportionately high because I've only been squatting and deadlifting for 3 years. At first my squat and deadlift were moving up at the same rate (I started off both at 135 lbs). Around 250 lbs I started having a lot of form issues progressing with squats. Anytime I would go for a 1-3 rep max type set I would find myself getting in maybe 1 good rep and then not getting all the way to parallel. With deadlift I have pretty long arms so I don't need to use a lot of legs in my lift. I've made pretty much no progress in my squat over the past 2 years. Every time I start building back up I either start running into lower back pain issues or just hit a wall I can't move past and then try moving the weight down and ramping back up. I'm debating starting to wear a belt for my heavy sets, but I don't know if that would help at all and I wanted to avoid using a belt unless I was squatting 400+ or deadlifting 500+.

Currently I'm doing 5/3/1 but I'm adding in squats after deadlifts on my deadlift day as well (just doing 3x5). I'm hoping doing them more than once a week will help. I'd really just be happy if I could squat 315 for 3-5 reps. It's the only one of my lifts that I'm a little embarrassed about, especially when I see guys a lot smaller than me squatting a lot more than I can at the gym.
    Wear a belt...I have the same low back issues as well with squat and wearing a belt helps a lot. Its not your lower back that is weak causing the pain, its the position you are put in on the squat due to your long legs. Your back angle becomes much greater than an average sized person, thus the weight is bearing down more on your lower back.

Banned
    Ya, stefan.. i hate seeing little guys pounding out reps of 225 like its tit. I'm gonna try for more reps more frequency. and doing all the little tips you guys mentioned. especially from that article
    I think Madcow 5x5 would be a perfect routine for you right now.