The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

bench press blues, help!

I was so disapointed with my performace tonight at the gym that I had to vent, and ask for some help. So to make a lonnnnng story shorts, I'm 25, 6'3, 200 pounds. I am getting back into shape after 4 years of drug addiction and not staying healthy. I use to be a really good athelete in highschool and could lift heavy for my size.

So the last 2 months I have decided to really commit to transforming my body and get back in shape, and to lift the same as I was when iw as 17. I have seen great gains thus far-

-deadlift- 200 to 250, 280 1RM
    -squat- 205- 260, 285 1RM

I can row/curl/machine press/ also 35% more than 2 monthes ago. EVERYWHERE EXCEPT bench! I can only put up like 165 about 5 times, and my 1rm maybe 180, on a really really good day. Tonight I could barley put up 165!! ONCE! Dunno if it was the late night and drinks last night or what. When I was 170 pounds in highschool I was doing 205 no problem. I can machine press almost 250 now. What the hell happens when I get on the bench, and why the hell am I NOT gaining strength in this area. Like i said all my workouts have gotten longer, heavier, and more intense except for the bench. I have been hitting the gym everyday, maybe 1 day of rest a week, and eating crazy protein and low carbs.

Am I going too hard? Do I need rest? My form- which I have worked on ALOT?! I am sooooooo frustrated because I see my body progressing everywhere except bench. I also have a pinched nerve in my shoulder I never got surgery on, because it wasnt serious, but hurts every know and then, and kinda ****s with my head. Please need some help, as guys lighter than me (like me in highschool, 170) are putting up way more weight than me, and it sucks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by imaraider2011 View Post
    I was so disapointed with my performace tonight at the gym that I had to vent, and ask for some help. So to make a lonnnnng story shorts, I'm 25, 6'3, 200 pounds. I am getting back into shape after 4 years of drug addiction and not staying healthy. I use to be a really good athelete in highschool and could lift heavy for my size.

So the last 2 months I have decided to really commit to transforming my body and get back in shape, and to lift the same as I was when iw as 17. I have seen great gains thus far-

-deadlift- 200 to 250, 280 1RM
    -squat- 205- 260, 285 1RM

I can row/curl/machine press/ also 35% more than 2 monthes ago. EVERYWHERE EXCEPT bench! I can only put up like 165 about 5 times, and my 1rm maybe 180, on a really really good day. Tonight I could barley put up 165!! ONCE! Dunno if it was the late night and drinks last night or what. When I was 170 pounds in highschool I was doing 205 no problem. I can machine press almost 250 now. What the hell happens when I get on the bench, and why the hell am I NOT gaining strength in this area. Like i said all my workouts have gotten longer, heavier, and more intense except for the bench. I have been hitting the gym everyday, maybe 1 day of rest a week, and eating crazy protein and low carbs.

Am I going too hard? Do I need rest? My form- which I have worked on ALOT(Was someone getting a good shrug workout with you in highschool? I know that i thought i could bench more with a shrug spot..?! I am sooooooo frustrated because I see my body progressing everywhere except bench. I also have a pinched nerve in my shoulder I never got surgery on, because it wasnt serious, but hurts every know and then, and kinda ****s with my head. Please need some help, as guys lighter than me (like me in highschool, 170) are putting up way more weight than me, and it sucks.
    The red text shows the problems that you have already acknowledged, especially the lack of rest and the injury!

The lime shows the things you need to do less of or more of.

You know the answers to the above already they are in your post!

Get on a good 3-4 day routine and get some proper rest and recovery, sort your shoulder injury out and the gains will come.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'