The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HST Training

HST Training

I have a few questions about hst:

1.Who's tried it and does it work?

2.Do you have to start with 15 reps for the first 2 weeks?

3.Is there any specific diet?

thanx
    Started Lifting Again!
    Msn Messenger: delveyboy@hotmail.com
    Im always pissed off and have occasional peaceful spells - By MrWebb78
    Nothing says masculin like a dump on the floor - by Intensity

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

heres the website i got info from

HST Info
    Started Lifting Again!

im starting the routine tomoz so i need to know quick.thanx for the sites
    Started Lifting Again!

also, what are negatives
    Started Lifting Again!

what u mean.say on bech press i bring if down to my chest but dont lift it up again.i do this on the last 2 weeks?
    Started Lifting Again!

you would need a training partner to do them but you would load more than max on the bar, and your partner would help you lift the bar into position( dont lock out the elbows) then slowly lower the weight down very carefully and slowly, then at the bottom position your partner would help you lift it back to the starting point

i workout at home without a partner
    Started Lifting Again!

captain- Good to know you have added the HST FAQ website too ! :-)

DelveyBoy- I am currently in my fifth week of HST and in 5RM and am liking it. Check out Blood&Iron's online journal and Monstar's online journal for HST info too.
    I hope you have taken the time to figure out your 15RM,10RM and 5RM. Use the week after that for strategic deconditioning and then start HST. If you read both the sites Captain posted it should answer most of your questions. Good luck with HST.
    Last edited by thalapathi; 05-19-2002 at 06:05 PM.

Thalapathi, what method did you use to calculate your 15, 10, 5 RM? Did you calc. based on your current lifts or actually try them out?

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

I just finished my first HST microcycle, just the two weeks of 15-reps and so far I am loving it. I tried it once before but f*cking it all up so I just redid it.

MS

rookie- I tried out each exercise and calculated my 15,5 RM's for all lifts. I had a good idea of my 10RM's from my workout logs. One thing interesting I did find was that my actual RM's found using working out, were sometimes pretty far away from those calculated using the different formulae. However I just started training about 8 months ago and started following a proper routine 4/5 months ago. So that might change things a bit and experienced users might differ I guess.
    HTH.
    Last edited by thalapathi; 05-20-2002 at 08:53 AM.

thalapathi-
    You can always check out my journal if you want man. Its pretty detailed I think.

MS

I just finished my first cycle of HST and, honestly, i don't think i'll use it again - at least not right away. I think that it can be a great workout for some people, but not for me - not right now. To be fair, i did gain some lean mass while doing this workout, but since i'm a beginner that is to be expected.

I think that several different factors may have contributed to my less-than-expected gains. Firstly, i wasn't doing the "big two" exercises (squats and deads). This will be changed in my next workout routine. Secondly, i don't think i was getting enough sleep. Even though i was dead tired throughout the day, i often had trouble falling asleep or staying asleep at night. Third, i didn't take the time to find all of my rep maxes before i started the workout. This was no problem for some exercises where i could give an educated guess using my 8RM, but other exercises ended up being way off (mostly too light).

Things i liked:
    You always know exactly how much weight you're going to be pushing and exactly how many reps.
    No need to do multiple sets for each body part.
    Use of three different rep ranges to keep things interesting and prevent plateauing.

Things i didn't like:
    Because you're doing your whole body every day, you have less time to concentrate on a specific part that needs extra help.
    Very tiring, even during the first week of each microcycle (which is supposed to be light).
    Didn't "feel the burn". Even though i was working out as prescribed, i rarely felt like i'd done any real work when i left the gym. This may be purely psychological (since i did gain muscle and was very tired throughout the day), but it had a very real effect on how much (or little) i liked the program.

For now, i'm planning to go back to a 3 day split routine using HIT. However; i may try to incorporate rep changes every two weeks since i did like that part of the HST program. I'm also going to incorporate squats and deadlifts into my new routine which should help me gain mass more quickly. And i think that doing SD every 6-8 weeks is a good idea as well. I may eventually go back to HST, but right now i don't forsee it. I just *feel* better doing a three day split.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

Thanks thalapathi-
    I'm with you as to the calculated method. I doubt that my 15's would match up very well with my 5's if I only did the calculation however I wasn't sure if it was just me. I have more questions, however, I think I'll do some more reading to see if they can be answered on the HST site first.

MonStar-
    Glad to see your sticking with the HST.

ive worked out my 1rm and am going to start in a few mins on my first cycle
    Started Lifting Again!

Not the best way to do it. Precalculate and decondition. Most people that have "problems" with HST just aren't doing it the recommended way.
    Last edited by MarshallPenn; 05-20-2002 at 12:35 PM.

I think that precalculating your rep maxes is completely fine. That is what I am doing and I am seeing good results doing it this way. Development looks good all over. Anyway strength is up as well. I will however take about a week off of working out alltogether once I finish my 6-week HST cycle. So well see how that goes.

MS

Monstar - by precalculate I mean predetermine. Sorry for the confusion. What you are doing is not the recomended way.

What's with the 6 week cycle? The negatives are quite productive for growth.

Thats what I am trying to figure out now, how productive the negatives and deconditioning really is.

MS

Originally posted by MonStar
    Thats what I am trying to figure out now, how productive the negatives and deconditioning really is.

MS
    I think both are a good idea. The least productive mini-cycle in my experience is the 5's, but that may be in part due to how I did it.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Very productive, and deconditioning is pretty much a crucial part of HST. Otherwise you don't grow as easily/at all from the lighter weights when you start a cycle.

Yeah - B&I, for me the 5's are insanse strength and growth. What did you do differently?