The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Need squat / deadlift help

I've been training on and off but not really taken it seriously until over the last year or so. I'm having a few troubles however, I'm knocking on a bit (nearly 39) and I have a lower back injury from trampolining with my kids that I did around 5 years ago (it never mended right)..

I'm currently doing:

Bench Press - 220lb for 5-6 reps
    Squatting 275lb for 12-16 reps
    Deadlift - 220lb for 10-12 reps

My concern is that my squat and deadlift should be much more

I have an issue with squats in that the bar seems to cause me a lot of pain when I remove it from my neck after completing the squats, the weight feels too light for my legs, but its like my neck shoulders cant take it for too long. I also seem to lose my balance a bit during the last 4 or so reps. This makes me very nervous about adding more weight to the bar

The other issue is with deadlifts, I seem to get to 8 reps then have to put the bar down and pick it back up because my hands lose grip (I dont have very big hands, maybe that is the issue?). Does it even matter if I have to put the bar down and pick it back up again? I've tried gloves and it doesnt really help

Any help / suggestions would be much appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I have an issue with squats in that the bar seems to cause me a lot of pain when I remove it from my neck after completing the squats, the weight feels too light for my legs, but its like my neck shoulders cant take it for too long. I also seem to lose my balance a bit during the last 4 or so reps. This makes me very nervous about adding more weight to the bar
    Sounds like issues with both foot placement and bar position on your back. Have a look at the squat rx series on youtube.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100067

The other issue is with deadlifts, I seem to get to 8 reps then have to put the bar down and pick it back up because my hands lose grip (I dont have very big hands, maybe that is the issue?). Does it even matter if I have to put the bar down and pick it back up again?
    Firstly, I wouldn't deadlift in the 10-12 rep range. Have you tried using chalk?

Where on your back do you put the bar during squats? (Above or below the hump on the traps)

Also I wouldn't recommend doing high rep deadlifts for gaining strength. I usually don't do more than 6 (depending on the routine I'm doing at the time)
    Last edited by Coqui; 03-15-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Wannabebig New Member

Thanks

It looks like I have the bar positioned a little too high (on the bump of the traps) instead of just below. My foot positioning is good though

I will lower the number of reps I do on the deadlift, hopefully that will help. I will also see if I can get a hold of some chalk

Thanks for your help guys

You might also try lowering the reps on the squat too until you get everything fixed. If you are losing your balance, it might be a breathing issue or a form issue. Either way, stick with moderate weights and reps until you get things sorted out.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Try placing the bar down abit more, so its running along your traps, just a guess.. For me when i first started i was the same, as soon as i moved the bar down it was fine. Seems obvious but i just thought it may help.