Thread: Leangains questin.

Wannabebig Member

Leangains questin.

Hi guys.

I've been reading Martins Berkan lean gains approuch and so far it has been wonderful!
    For the first tim i am loosing weight, but maintaining strenght, and even increasing it.
    I useually eat a big meal 2 hours before work out ( try to work out in the afternoon) but recently my job has required me to get my work out out of the way in the morning. If i am going to fallow the program, i need to do those training fasted :S which i tried and did not like! i was completly depleaded of energy
    I have been experamenting a litle and here is what i am doing now.

07:00 120 gr oat meal, 300 ml milk and 1 scoop whey. 650 kcal
    09:00 Training
    11:00 Post work out meal 200 gra gainer, 2 scoops protein and 60 gr dextrose, 1250 kcal all in all
    15:00 Chicken sandwitch, just so i donÝt go crazy with hunger
    20:00 A good protein and carb rich dinner.

I am just wondering about this because this way, i am not fasting for 16 hours, i am eating for 13 hours instead of 8, but the kcal are keept in check.
    Will that damage the resaults of the program`?

Thanks in advance.

Wannabebig Member
    Ditch your post-workout nutrition for a whole foods meal and maybe a scoop of whey.

i am not fasting for 16 hours, i am eating for 13 hours instead of 8
    Then you're not following leangains. Fasting isn't magic; calories in versus calories out still matter: if you're not in a caloric deficit you'll either maintain or gain weight.

Fasting will help improve other health markers like lowered blood glucose and triglycerides, but calories still matter. The biggest draw, besides the health aspect, is that you are able to eat 2-3 large meals versus 5-6 spread throughout the day.

No, you're not doing leangains; but if your calories are lower than maintenance, you'll lose weight.

Keep your protein intake high (eat whole foods), your healthy fat intake at around 20-30% and fill the rest in with carbs until you hit 12%, or so, bodyfat. A general guideline is 1 gram per pound of lean body mass if you're over 25% body fat then from 15-25% bodyfat increase intake to 1.25 times per pound of LBM. Once you hit 12%, you'll have to increase protein to 1.5-2 grams per pound of lean body mass plus maintain a caloric deficit.
    Last edited by IronRanger; 03-20-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I read it on Martins blog that you should try to eat whole food in stad of drinking it.
    But what are ther benefits of that? besides tasting better it also is more time consuming...
    I might not be doing leangains right now, but i have been for some weeks now, like i said, recent changes in my work scheduled has forced me to work out during the morning instead of the afternoon and i hate workin out on an empty stomach.....

Wannabebig Member
    I read it on Martins blog that you should try to eat whole food in stad of drinking it.
    But what are ther benefits of that?
    Two words: nutrition and satiety.

I might not be doing leangains right now, but i have been for some weeks now
    I don't understand this statement. If you're not following an 8-hour feeding window with a 16-hour fast, you're following a normal eating pattern. Many people eat from the time they awake until the time they go to bed.

If your work schedule means it's difficult to follow a fasting diet, then eat following a normal meal pattern. Make your life easier. It's said the best diet is the one you follow.

As a matter-of-fact, you could follow a carb cut-off type of diet, wherein you eat carbs during one or two meals and not with the other meals. You could cycle carbs and have days when you eat lower carb or keto style. Maintaining a higher protein intake will ease hunger pangs. My point? There are other options than fasting diets.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronRanger View Post
    Two words: nutrition and satiety.

I don't understand this statement. If you're not following an 8-hour feeding window with a 16-hour fast, you're following a normal eating pattern. Many people eat from the time they awake until the time they go to bed.

If your work schedule means it's difficult to follow a fasting diet, then eat following a normal meal pattern. Make your life easier. It's said the best diet is the one you follow.

As a matter-of-fact, you could follow a carb cut-off type of diet, wherein you eat carbs during one or two meals and not with the other meals. You could cycle carbs and have days when you eat lower carb or keto style. Maintaining a higher protein intake will ease hunger pangs. My point? There are other options than fasting diets.

I meant, i was fallowing the lean gain diet until i had to start working out in the morning. When i did the lean gain ,then i broke my fast at 13:00, worked out at 15:00 ate a post meal at 17:00 and dinner at 20-21:00

Wannabebig Member
    Does anybody else have problems with training fasted though?

Wannabebig Member
    It seems you've focused on clarifying the statement you made regarding following the leangains 16/8 protocol. I also stated:

As far as fasted training, I did have problems until I adapted to the diet.

Wannabebig Member
    the point is that i had a big success with leangains, this is not my first cut.
    In the past ia have lost alot more strenght then this time, so that's why i wanted to keep it up.
    Do you think training fasted will become easier?

Wannabebig Member
    Do you think training fasted will become easier?
    I know Martin Berkhan doesn't (at least he hasn't in the past, this might have changed) work with clients who have continuously changing schedules: it's too difficult to set hormonal and psychological entrainment patterns.

If it's difficult for you to train fasted, try some fruit pre-workout. When Martin recommends fasted training, it's not truly fasted; he recommends BCAAs or whey pre-workout. Adding some fruit pre-workout would be considered breaking the fast, but I wouldn't worry about it. Your workout intensity's more important.

Wannabebig Member
    I am not really a client of his, i donÝt pay him for counsiling or anything.
    I should be able to go back to my old schedule in a few weeks, i am going to give fasted training another go, hopefully it will get easier.

Working it out, working it bamazav's Avatar
    Another option would to be to change your feeding schedule. If you used to eat between 1 and 9 PM but schedule is changed, why not try 8 am to 4 PM? If you can't handle the fasted training, change your feeding schedule. Keep your 16 hour fasting window, just start it and end it earlier. Just a thought from a fellow leangainer.
    Working on getting stronger in body, mind and soul.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Banned
    read the blog, it has a section exactly for your situation

i attempted doing this & had difficulty adapting to training the way he recommended.. the worst part was not the lifting; it was the hypoglycemic shakes and complete loss of productivity at work

Quote Originally Posted by Goatofthunder View Post
    Does anybody else have problems with training fasted though?
    I train first thing in the morning, around 4:30 a.m., without eating anything, but I consume my largest meal of the day before bed. This might not be optimal but I have seen good strength gains and when training that early I dont have time to eat and then train without waking up extremely early. I cannot train optimally with food on my stomach, even just a protein shake. I am a firm believer if it works stick with it.
    Last edited by bradley; 03-20-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Banned
    bradley, good pt.. its individual.. but it also really comes down to becoming used to the schedule in which you work. obviously the first few workouts wont go well when you are fasted.

in terms of fasted training, when you say you have no energy, do you mean you feel weak, or that you can't handle much volume? if you're following martin's workout routine also, i can't see how you'd have any problems unless your strength is actually suffering. if you're doing another program with higher volume, i can definitely see how that could be a problem if you train fasted. as a general rule, fasted training takes a toll on the volume you can handle, but not the intensity (though it varies by the individual, of course).

also, you mentioned that you had to start training in the mornings. could your problem be that you're not used to training in the morning, rather than the problem being that you're training fasted?
    21 years old, 242 pounds
    current: 750 squat, 445 bench, 725 deadlift
    goals: Total 2000+ raw in the next 18 months

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatNUCKOLSkid View Post
    in terms of fasted training, when you say you have no energy, do you mean you feel weak, or that you can't handle much volume? if you're following martin's workout routine also, i can't see how you'd have any problems unless your strength is actually suffering. if you're doing another program with higher volume, i can definitely see how that could be a problem if you train fasted. as a general rule, fasted training takes a toll on the volume you can handle, but not the intensity (though it varies by the individual, of course).

also, you mentioned that you had to start training in the mornings. could your problem be that you're not used to training in the morning, rather than the problem being that you're training fasted?
    I am training accoriding to the 5x5x madcow. I was experimenting around with routine, but decided to go back to what had worked best for me in the past.
    Thee volume i useually handeld, became very difficult, and i feelt very weak.
    My morning workouts are becoming easier, a litle bit.
    I will know to day if i can switch back to my old routine, training in the after noon, so I have my finger crossed.

Annother thing, some one commented on my post work out shake,
    Would it be better to swap the gainer for oat meal for example?