The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Deadlifting Issues

i deadlift as my first exercise on my back day and two weeks ago did 230 x 10, 300 x 8, 340 x 6, 400 x 4. ever since then i have done the same for my first 3 sets but for my forth set i cant even lift up 350 for 1. this is the second time this has happened to me once i hit 400 lbs, any idea what is wrong?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How often are you deadlifting?

Banned
    Your work sets from now on should be singles at a weight greater than 395.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bgb1990 View Post
    i deadlift as my first exercise on my back day and two weeks ago did 230 x 10, 300 x 8, 340 x 6, 400 x 4. ever since then i have done the same for my first 3 sets but for my forth set i cant even lift up 350 for 1. this is the second time this has happened to me once i hit 400 lbs, any idea what is wrong?
    It sounds like you may not be allowing your body enough time to recover.

Do you squat and deadlift on a weekly basis? And how challenging was the 400 lbs x 4 set?

You may want to try alternating between squatting and deadlifting each week, and working in some different rep schemes to allow for better recovery. The 5/3/1 template seems to work well for this - but if you are focused more on hypertrophy work you may just want to simply drop the weight and increase volume (do something like 5x5 with 335-350 lbs rather than the pyramid progression).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig New Member
    i deadlift on tuesdays with back and squat on saturdays with legs. the 400 x 4 set was fairly challenging. hard to get the first one up and struggling a lot on the 4th.

Maximum effort should be followed by a period of building back up. And jumping to a max effort without a buildup is hard to repeat. Think about the powerlifters that go to a meet and set a new PR for themselves. That PR started with a buildup in their prep, and they can't leave the meet and continue to set new PRs in their training that imediately follows the comp. Cycles work best when you utilize the same lifts over and over.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Maximum effort should be followed by a period of building back up. And jumping to a max effort without a buildup is hard to repeat. Think about the powerlifters that go to a meet and set a new PR for themselves. That PR started with a buildup in their prep, and they can't leave the meet and continue to set new PRs in their training that imediately follows the comp. Cycles work best when you utilize the same lifts over and over.
    so what you're saying is dont try to go for 400 lbs again, but drop back down and start building back up until i get past that again?

Sounds like burnout to me too... happens with me all the time. A good max workout takes a LOT out of your system- you may not even realize how toast you are, even if the soreness is gone in a day or two. After hitting a max week, I'll de-load the next week and do some speed work (or pulling off plates), build back up to a moderately tough workout the next week, and not even think about trying for another near max single until the third.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by bgb1990 View Post
    so what you're saying is dont try to go for 400 lbs again, but drop back down and start building back up until i get past that again?
    Exactly, let your system recover a little. Or use a differnt variety of the lift.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!