Thread: APF IL State Meet write up

APF IL State Meet write up

3-20-11 APF IL State Meet
    Weigh-in
    This was easy because I chose not to cut at all an just weigh in the day of the meet. Came in at 94 kg, so I can gain 6 kg yet and stay in the 220's, long way to go to fill out the class yet. I think by not cutting I felt much more fresh and ready to go, and this paid off today. I also deloaded a bit more than I have in te past for this meet, so tha may have helped too.

After weigh in I ate some more, foam rolled, stretched, lathered up with linament and waited to see what flight I'd be in. I ended up in the 2nd flight, so I had some time to relax. This was also the smallest flight, with 13 lifters which ended up working well; seemed lie the perfect amount of time between attempts.

Squat -
    Warm ups
    145 x 10
    235 x 5
    added briefs here
    325 x 3
    415 x 2
    added suit bottoms
    505 x 2
    595 x 1
    645 x 1
    ready to go...

1st attempt - 688.7 Felt easy, but setup was a little off. I seem to always struggle with my first attempt squat, so I wasn't concerned; just got the light opener out of the way.
    2nd attempt - 744 Much easier than the opener. Setup and unrack felt great, weight was light on my back; unk it for 3 whites. Everyone said, wow, that should have been your opener.
    3rd attempt - 771.5 Smooth and fairly easy. Felt lik I had more in me, but this was a PR and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss a squat PR due to being too aggressive. This also set me up to easily PR my total, and have a shot at 2000.

Bench-
    Warm ups
    Bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 5
    275 x 3
    315 x 3
    365 x 2 off 2 Boards
    405 x 1 off 3 boards
    added shirt
    495 x 2 off 2 boards
    545 x 1 off 1 Board

1st attempt - 584 This was tough to get down, and started to come back over my face too quick on the press. I had to kind of stop pressing so I wouldn't dump, then lock it out from there. Still easy, but was a strange lift, never felt this happen before.

2nd attempt - 617.2 This one was good for the AAPF Open 220 national record. Pressed it fast and easy.

3rd attempt - 633.7 Got a little crazy and jacked the shirt too much. This threw me out of my groove by having to touch lower, which then made it come back towards my face fast on the press; I reacted by flaring my elbows too early and got stuck about 3/4 of the way up. Would have bee a PR, and training was dead on to hit this; just pissed I didn't execute because this woul have set me up nicely to get 2000 on the total.

Deadlift-
    Warm ups
    225 x 3
    added suit bottom
    315 x 1, 1
    405x 1
    straps up
    495 x 1

1st attempt - 551 opened here to get an easy PR total of 1940. Everything was smooth and easy.

I really wanted to go after 2000 an I knew it would take a 611 pull to get there, so I had to decide between giving myself 2 shots at a weight I've never even attempted before, or take a 2nd o build my PR on the total, then go after 2000. I chose to play it safe and build the total 1st.

2nd attempt - 584 went up easily, no problems. This ws a PR meet DL, but something I feel confident with and pull in the gym pretty regularly. This boosted my total to 1973.

3rd attempt - 611.7 Launched it from the floor, but got stuck right at my knees. Held it there for like 2 seconds but couldn't haul it up. Gave it a good run, but no 2000 today, still very happy with the PRs today.

Ended up at 1973 total (a 39 lb PR) so, definitely a good day. I have to give credit to Eric Maroscher for wearing me down over time and convincing me to just go 220 and not bother with the cut, as well as getting me to deload more than I usually would. These 2 chages had me feeling fresh and hungry to lift. I felt very tight and explosive throughout the meet.

I ended up winning best AAPF lifter. This definitely could have gone to a few other guys if they didn't have bech probles along the way. Tom Kraweic (spelling ?) had a phenomonal squat; 854 @ 181, but only got a token bench that he took to secure his squat, then had some shirt issues. Stan Kuderick was also ahead of me after squats s a 198, but the bench got him as well. It was a fun meet, lots of great lifters and great people in APF IL; really enjoyed it.
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973

PR's, including the total, a new National Record, and a Best Lifter award. That sounds like a great day of lifting. Congratulations!
    Very well done write-up too. Thanks for the update!

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Great job Mike.... you looked solid all day. I hope you don't mind if I add my $0.02 here instead of starting another thread about the same meet.

I got to the meet early and took my time warming up. A few guys I was helping on Saturday had problems getting their warm ups in so I knew I had to start early and move quick.

A few sets with the bar and I was in to my briefs. Running between the warm up room and the platform to help my team kept me sweating. My teammate Tom Krawiec hit a small PR squat of 854 ( AAPF 181) and set the pace for the day.... after that I knew I had to throw down.

2 plates felt easy, 5 plates felt easy.
    added knee wraps and 6 plates felt easy ( in 3-ply Overkill briefs 6 plates better feel easy). I knew it would be a good day.

Put on my suit and hit 7 easily, then 8 and headed for the platform.

860 opener was a joke, 925 on my second was equally easy, but my knee came in and my handler made the call for a conservative 3rd attempt.
    My bodyweight was down after cutting from 320 to 304 ( my scale at home was off and I cut too much) so my suit wasn't staying up where I like it, which pulled my knees in.... this is when Rudy ( of overkill, who was helping me at the meet) let me know that the new suits are cut differently to get rid of that problem..... thanks for telling me about that at the meet instead of... maybe..... a month ago when I could have changed my suit to the better pattern. Either way I hiked up my suit legs and tightened my straps and SMOKED 965 for my third attempt.

Bench warm ups were easy 1, 2, 3, and 4 plates raw. 550, then 6 in the shirt to boards.
    660 opener looked like the bar, moved really quick.
    for 705 on my second my hip popped out on my set up when I had an uneven handoff and had to work to stabilize it. Still got the lift but not as easy as the 660.
    Went to 733 to put me within range of a 2400 total..... touched easily even with the shirt jacked, pressed quick off the chest and didn't flare my elbows out in time so it came back in to the rack and over my face...... thanks spotters for saving my face.

By this point I couldn't put any weight on my left leg and was limping around pretty bad because of my hip. I was really nervous about deadlift, 2 plates felt a little rough in the warm up room. I put my suit on early and figured I could try a few heavier pulls in the warm up room to see if I needed to lower my opener.
    Once the suit was on I felt good.... the hip felt better, and everything moved really well..... 5 plates and 6 plates flew up in the warm up room.

617 opener went easy.
    680 second attempt flew up for a 2353 total
    I've never pulled more than 705 in the gym, but decided to go for it and try 733 for a 2400 total...
    The bar moved slow off of the floor but kept moving all the way up..... or 99% of the way up. I got the down call even though I was still fighting that last inch and figured it must have been locked..... I figured wrong and the side judges red lighted me for not being locked out. I should have finished the pull, but whatever... I'll get it next time.

Good first meet for the season, and a great showing for everyone.

Sorry about the hip. How is it feeling today?

Nothing at a meet ever goes 100% as planned does it . You hit some terrific numbers, and an impressive total! 2400 is your next stepping stone!

Thanks Bev.

Barzeen, you looked unstoppable at this meet. All your lifts looked easy until that last deadlift. Too bad you got that down call a little early. As soon as I headr "down" I though, I hope he finishes locking out anyway. 2353 is a good day, but I can tell you'll jump over that 2400 mark very soon. Congrats on a strong day. And tell Tom congrats on that huge squat.
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973

Nice lifting both of you! Really impressive numbers!
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Thanks Adam
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973

Thanks Mike, there was a good environment that day for big numbers. You guys set the pace for sure.

Bev: the hip is a little better. I rocked my wrist on that last bench too so I'm off to see the chiro now to get them both worked over. Hopefully I'll get everything back to 100% for Senior Nats so I can put up that big total there.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesbench View Post
    Thanks Adam
    That's good #s! Congrats on the win and best lifter!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Hope the doc does you a world of good. Hitting a meet is pretty brutal on the body. Give yourself some time to heal. Looking forward to seeing you put 2400 behind you at Seniors!

A buddy got this video of my second attempt squat ( 925).... you can see the wiggle I did in the bottom that caused my handler to back off on my third attempt..... wish I had video of me smoking the third attempt, but this will do for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxI4QkyqkOA

Any feedback is welcome.... and the problem with the set up was caused by the guy running the monolift not releasing the jack after the pin was in the right spot. So when I picked up the weight, the monolift raised up with me and I couldn't clear it.....

Mike, congrats on all the PR total. I know you wanted 2000. Pick your next meet and crush it.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Barzeen, my feedback would be no different than what you already know. Your hips were a little loose in the hole, and a knee tried to suck in a little. I think your coach made a good call on backing you off on the third attempt. Risk versus benefit.
    Sure hate it for you on the monolit issue. Moving that kind of weight, everything needs to be nearly perfect. Perfection is hard to come by.

No matter how much weight you moved that day you would have wanted more.
    That's one of the things that makes you such a fierce competitor.

Thanks Marcus,
    I'm looking at APF Senior Nationals. That will be a very competitve meet, I migh want to cut to 198 for that, but we'll see.
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973

Kudos on two prs. Always great too have something else to shoot for in this sport as well. 2000 total will be yours soon.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Bev: Thanks again.

Mike: I WILL see you at seniors.... and probably before then to get a training session in with you guys.

and results are posted!
    http://www.worldpowerliftingcongress...ate%20Meet.htm

Congrats on the PR's, Best Lifter Award and the National Record, thats all huge!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Looking forward to seeing both of you at Senior Nationals. Let us know if there is something we can do to help you in some way!

congrats on all of the PRs guys! sounds like it was a good meet.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Fantastic lifting from you Mike.........and Barzeen too!!

Well done!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Thanks everybody. Barzeen, we'd love to have you up to train sometime. You want to get in on a squqt day or a bench day? We might have to go find a longer bar if you come to squat!
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973

Quote Originally Posted by mikesbench View Post
    Thanks everybody. Barzeen, we'd love to have you up to train sometime. You want to get in on a squqt day or a bench day? We might have to go find a longer bar if you come to squat!
    I bench down in Naperville with Rudy every week...... I'd prefer to not miss that as working with him has put 100lbs on my bench in a meet this year.

I'd love to come up to either do some squat or deadlift though..... do you guys lift on a set night or is it a 10-day rotation?

The invitation is mutual too man.... you guys are always welcome to come out to Frantz's new place and get a squat session in ( or Rudy's for bench)

Our training week is usually.... Saturday Squat, Monday Heavy Bench, Wednesday Dadlift, Thursday Light Bench.

Thank for the invite, I'd be curious to learn more abou shirts from Rudy...and squatting at Frantz's is something I can't pass up. We'll have to work out some details, but getting out of the usual training routine occasionaly I think is beneficial.
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973