Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I wanna replace the bench

Gamer/Lifter

I wanna replace the bench

I want to replace my bench press day...I find bench pressing boring...

Here's my current work out routine

Day 1 Squat
    Squat 5x5
    Leg Press 3x8
    Calf Raises 3x8

Day 2
    Bench 5x5
    CGBP 3x8
    Crunches 3x8

Day 3
    Deadlift 5x5
    Shrugs 3x8
    Over heard shoulder press (standing) 3x8

I would like to make my core stronger, thinking I can focus on that day 2...or just do a bit of light cardio...Suggestions to replace bench day?
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

My suggestion...

Day 1
    Squat 5x5
    Leg Press or Leg Curl 3x8
    Calf Raises 3x8

Day 2
    Overhead Press 3x8
    Bar Dips 3x8
    Decline Situps 3x8

Day 3
    Deadlift 5x5
    Shrugs 3x8
    1 Arm Db Rows 3x8
    Last edited by Off Road; 04-27-2011 at 06:56 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Incline bench is vastly superior for hitting the chest. I would say it is a safer movement for the shoulders too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Incline bench is vastly superior for hitting the chest. I would say it is a safer movement for the shoulders too.
    Any evidence to that? Incline bothers my shoulders more than flat or military.

Incline bench is vastly superior for hitting the chest.
    Why?

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    How high/low is the incline? I do a relatively low incline IC press and it hits my chest really, really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    Why?
    I doubt one can pull up studies showing it, but I found the link below that seems to show ICDBP as being very effective for upper chest. Obviously, personal preference and individual nuances will dictate where an individual feels an exercise, but in my experience I've found nothing works better for chest development than IC DB pressing. Barbell low incline is great also. Again, IMO.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ceps_exercises

Just asking why you'd want to avoid one of the single best lifts you can do? Weightlifting isn't supposed to be fun, it takes hard work. Your routine, but just saying.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post
    Just asking why you'd want to avoid one of the single best lifts you can do? Weightlifting isn't supposed to be fun, it takes hard work. Your routine, but just saying.
    I'll let Nik answer, but some lifters prefer different lifts than others. Yes, training is supposed to be difficult, but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable.

Flat [EDIT: barbell] bench is also a very overrated exercise IMO, depending on one's goals. Very much an ego lift.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 04-27-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post
    Just because you don't use one of the power lifts doesn't mean you aren't working out hard. I personally feel that the parallel bar dip is a better chest builder than the bench press. I also feel the overhead press hits the triceps harder than the bench press. Both lifts can be very hard to do and can create strength and muscle balance.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Just because you don't use one of the power lifts doesn't mean you aren't working out hard. I personally feel that the parallel bar dip is a better chest builder than the bench press. I also feel the overhead press hits the triceps harder than the bench press. Both lifts can be very hard to do and can create strength and muscle balance.
    I'm not saying that. Just when he said it was boring, he implied it wasn't fun.

The whole routine looks BORING. No variety makes Johnny a dull, small, and weak boy...

Banned
    If it bothers your shoulders, than don't do it . Everyone is different. Flat kills my shoulders if I rep out.

Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    Why?
    You know what, I probably should have evidence to back that claim up...but I don't.

With that being said, just from personal experience, I can feel the movement way more in my chest than flat. That is probably due to the increased ROM. Also, there is a reason a lot of the pro guys use it over flat, especially the DC guys. I am not an expert just going by how I feel .
    Last edited by mchicia1; 04-27-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Flat [EDIT: barbell] bench is also a very overrated exercise IMO, depending on one's goals. Very much an ego lift.
    Im not gonna try to argue this one, but I dont think you have any real basis for making this claim. True, the flat barbell bench press may not be the best exercise at hitting any SINGLE muscle group (pecs, shoulders, tris), but it is definately one of the better exercises at hitting the entire upper body pressing musculature as a whole. One could easily argue that flat bench done heavy followed by some kind of incline crossover or fly being superior to soley doing some form of incline press.

The argument is akin to saying squats are over-rated, because leg extensions hit the quads better. Squats are just an 'ego lift'.

The way I look at it (and the way I think more people should look at it), is that exercises are just different movements place tension on your muscles[and your muscles place tension on the joints and external objects]. When looking at an exercise, one should look at the load being used, the direction of the forces as a result to that load, and which muscles will be involved as a result.

Understanding what I mentioned in the previous paragraph people should be able to justify their exercise selection, although there are always going to be tradeoffs, because no exercise allows you to target one muscle group with the highest loads.

I think it was you that hinted that a benefit of incline pressing is an increased ROM. This is true, but it comes as a tradeoff with less load being used.

Im not trying to argue anything here really. Obviously if something allows you to hit a muscle hard and pain free then go for it. But its important to have a justification for that choice, especiallly when trying to generalize things to others.

Gamer/Lifter
    I know it takes hard work, this isn't my first go around with lifting. I lifted in my HS on a regular basis.

Bench press just isn't fun for me, I've never seen the results, nor enjoyed doing it. Out of all the days that I would skip bench press was by far the most common.

I like the overhead shoulder press idea, and think I'm going adapt my routine to that. Thanks for the feedback guys!

My gym has 1 power rack and 3 bench press stations. I can always get in on the power rack...not the case with bench press. Overheard shoulder lifts I'd use the power rack.
    Last edited by Nik00117; 04-27-2011 at 11:57 PM.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    I know it takes hard work, this isn't my first go around with lifting. I lifted in my HS on a regular basis.

Bench press just isn't fun for me, I've never seen the results, nor enjoyed doing it. Out of all the days that I would skip bench press was by far the most common.

I like the overhead shoulder press idea, and think I'm going adapt my routine to that. Thanks for the feedback guys!

My gym has 1 power rack and 3 bench press stations. I can always get in on the power rack...not the case with bench press. Overheard shoulder lifts I'd use the power rack.
    Maybe that's why you've never seen results. But like I said, bench pressing isn't required, it just depends on what gains you're looking for. And yeah, same thing here with everyone on bench and not power rack. I'm all for doing the bench press and getting stronger for football, but I'm not gonna be one of those guys with huge guns and chicken legs

House Lannister
    Im not gonna try to argue this one, but I dont think you have any real basis for making this claim.
    That's why I stated IMO. I have no studies or whathaveyou to back up that claim----it is based solely on personal experience.

I think it was you that hinted that a benefit of incline pressing is an increased ROM. This is true, but it comes as a tradeoff with less load being used.
    Wasn't me.

Im not trying to argue anything here really. Obviously if something allows you to hit a muscle hard and pain free then go for it. But its important to have a justification for that choice, especiallly when trying to generalize things to others.
    Again, I stated that in my opinion---from personal experience---the low incline press is more effective. Yes, it's not a BIG THREE lift----so what? The OP dislikes flat barbell bench; I offered an alternative that I believe is more effective in terms of hitting the chest and shoulders. Again, strictly IMO.

Last edited by chevelle2291; 04-28-2011 at 07:26 AM.

Banned
    Im not gonna try to argue this one, but I dont think you have any real basis for making this claim. True, the flat barbell bench press may not be the best exercise at hitting any SINGLE muscle group (pecs, shoulders, tris), but it is definately one of the better exercises at hitting the entire upper body pressing musculature as a whole. One could easily argue that flat bench done heavy followed by some kind of incline crossover or fly being superior to soley doing some form of incline press.

The argument is akin to saying squats are over-rated, because leg extensions hit the quads better. Squats are just an 'ego lift'.

The way I look at it (and the way I think more people should look at it), is that exercises are just different movements place tension on your muscles[and your muscles place tension on the joints and external objects]. When looking at an exercise, one should look at the load being used, the direction of the forces as a result to that load, and which muscles will be involved as a result.

Understanding what I mentioned in the previous paragraph people should be able to justify their exercise selection, although there are always going to be tradeoffs, because no exercise allows you to target one muscle group with the highest loads.

It was me who said the increased ROM..

Yes, less loads are used but that is only because the bench press puts you in a more mechanically efficient position. I personally do both exercises every upper day, but I always find incline to fry my chest/shoulders a lot more than flat, that is why I made that claim.

Look at a guy like Rory or Mutaffis...

I believe all they do for chest are DB Incline presses...look at their chests.

Here is a realllllyyyy long thread of how prolonged bench press with high intensity and volume will eventually cause you to tear a pec. Dante believes that it is not an IF but a WHEN. With that being said, he is really only talking about guys who can regularly throw 3+ plates on and rep it out.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=29462
    Last edited by mchicia1; 04-28-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post

Again, I stated that in my opinion---from personal experience---the low incline press is more effective. Yes, it's not a BIG THREE lift----so what? The OP dislikes flat barbell bench; I offered an alternative that I believe is more effective in terms of hitting the chest and shoulders. Again, strictly IMO.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not flat benching...OP if you don't want to do it anymore, don't do it. I personally think you will have better results with incline bench and seated DB or barbell shoulder press.

Personally i get better carry over to all my lifts if i am hitting the Incline Bench hard, have never been one for the flat bench.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Banned
    Like I said above, im not really disagreeing with what you guys are saying, becaues if it works for you who am I to tell you different. And with the OP there may be something specific with his body makeup that makes flat bb bench press a "bad exercise". But there is also the likelihood that he just doesn't like it because its hard, or he hasn't been consistant enough on it. Some people never squat or deadlift. Their justifications might be anything from "these are dangerous lifts" or "im not built to squat". Thats fine if they find a suitable alternative and put the effort in.

In regards to the claim that if you flat bench long enough you'll tear a pec, well, thats kind of silly. There are a lot of factors their, and if your form is correct, and programming and recovery are proper there is no reason to believe you are at an increased risk of a teared pec.

And my justification as to why I dont prefer incline pressing is that the scapular position is really odd to me. In addition to that, every incline bench is different and its hard to find a position with my feet that allows good leg drive. So for incline, I prefer to use it as a secondary exercise and really push the flat bench press harder. I also see the need to do standing presses and decline presses as well. They all load the body at different angles and are consequently hitting differnt muscles.

A note to the OP. If you do focus more on incline pressing, you might think about adding in decline press or at least some form of horizontal press.

House Lannister
    Like I said above, im not really disagreeing with what you guys are saying, becaues if it works for you who am I to tell you different. And with the OP there may be something specific with his body makeup that makes flat bb bench press a "bad exercise". But there is also the likelihood that he just doesn't like it because its hard, or he hasn't been consistant enough on it. Some people never squat or deadlift. Their justifications might be anything from "these are dangerous lifts" or "im not built to squat". Thats fine if they find a suitable alternative and put the effort in.
    I'm one of those non-squatters.

Also, I agree with you that the case here *may* be that he dislikes this exercise because of a lack of consistency.

In regards to the claim that if you flat bench long enough you'll tear a pec, well, thats kind of silly. There are a lot of factors their, and if your form is correct, and programming and recovery are proper there is no reason to believe you are at an increased risk of a teared pec.

And my justification as to why I dont prefer incline pressing is that the scapular position is really odd to me. In addition to that, every incline bench is different and its hard to find a position with my feet that allows good leg drive. So for incline, I prefer to use it as a secondary exercise and really push the flat bench press harder. I also see the need to do standing presses and decline presses as well. They all load the body at different angles and are consequently hitting differnt muscles.

A note to the OP. If you do focus more on incline pressing, you might think about adding in decline press or at least some form of horizontal press.
    That's my thinking. Obviously, I don't know the OP, but out of all the time I spent in gyms, weightlifting class in school, and various school sports teams, a lot of people don't like bench because it's hard.

My bench strength stays steady and I bench maybe every 3-4 months. All we do at xfit (for the most part) is pushups and ring dips. They work. You'd really be surprised what regular ole pushups can do--when you max out at a high intensity on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Patz; 05-02-2011 at 07:03 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Gamer/Lifter
    I did my first day of dips...Holy cow...They wore me ass out!!! I felt a lot better doing military press, dips, and crunches then bench press!

I disagree completely. The bench press is not any better at hitting upper body pressing musculature than incline dumbell presses or dips. Of course a flat bench followed by crossovers or flies would be better than only doing IC press. But if its between ICDB presses or flat benches for chest size, I'm going with the incline presses every time. Bench press + flies = good for chest. Incline DB bench press + flies = much better for chest.

Leg extensions do not compare to squats as incline dumbell presses compare to bench presses.

According to this formula, incline dumbell presses absolutely take the cake.

I'm not trying to say ICDB presses are vastly superior to bench presses, other than for the purposes of pectoral hypertrophy. The fact that you are bringing 2 different weights across your body and together means that your chest is necessarily doing more work(simply to bring the dumbells together) than a barbell on which your hands do not move(your hands do not come together in a barbell press). Also, with a decent arch, incline presses tend to put your entire pectorals in a strong line of pull(if that's the right phrase?). Flat bench presses with an arch tend to become decline presses.

Plus half of the bigger guys on these forums do them, hah.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat